• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith advice needed

aur0ra145

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
DFW, TX
Howdy,

I am in need of a gunsmith's assistance. Before the firearm crazy sauce I ordered a LR-308 style lower. Recently I've decided to assemble the lower and buy an upper.

Here's the issue. The Bolt catch screw (thing) won't fit in the hole. So, normally I would just reorder the screw and see if it was just the screw that was out of spec. However, some people here may know that these bolt catch screw (things) are incredibly rare now days. So I figured a smith could ream the hole for me?

I'm not a metal worker. If I had to guess, the lower was perfect prior to anodizing. Then the added layer made it out of spec? (I view anodizing and chroming as some sort of black magic preformed by metal workers. Needless to say, I know very little about the process; my assumption is most likely totally wrong.)

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks,
Aur0ra145

Re: Gunsmith advice needed

I'm guessing there IS actually a hole, just a tad obscured by a chip that may have been anodized in place?

That's a bad place to have the problem. I build on the platform...ergo I replace those damned things frequently. They tend to be brittle, so be careful about trying anything "rough" with it. It's easy to break one or two of the hex surfaces since they are so tiny.

Try taking a paper clip, dental pick, etc and probing inside the hole to see if you can find the small obstruction/chip.

How will it not fit in the hole - OD of pin too big, hole too shallow?

All you need is SOME kind of pin through that hole to hold the mag catch AND not come out. I've solved many problems with tiny, worn-out drill bits and set screws...lol.

Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.

You are in Plano? I'm in Argyle, what other kind of work do you do? I might send some rifles your way.

Yep.
Large frame ARs and 700s(and customs on that pattern) and 1911s.
I don't do a tremendous amount of general gunsmithing for the GP, but match shooters/SH members are always the exception.
grin.gif

I'll PM you my contact info
Carlton