• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith bench?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Has anyone on her built there on gunsmith bench. If so could I see some pics of what you have built. I am interested in building on this weekend but dont know exactly what I wont.

Re: Gunsmith bench?

I would like about it about 8' with 2ft L. I checked on the ones at harbor freigt. I like them but just was looking around before I comitted.

here's a gun room and reloading/gunsmithing bench i just built for friend. it will be used for reloading, cleaning and basic gunsmithing (changing barrels, etc).

the cabinets are made from 3/4" cabinet grade ply and the bench top is made from solid core 1-3/4" industrial doors, basically 1-3/4" of particle board between two pieces of thick formica.

the taller section is where he will work standing up. the barrel vise will be mounted to this section. the lower height section will be where he will work sitting in an office type chair. there is a 6" overhang to give a little bit of room for knees to get underneath. his loading presses will be mounted on this section.

i gave him plenty of outlets as well as cable for a tv.

76e92038.jpg

6ce8a2ec.jpg

74434722.jpg

b620f880.jpg

63000dab.jpg

0075e32b.jpg

461d0861.jpg

338fb3bd.jpg

8c903e6f.jpg

fbb50bf2.jpg

if it's going in a garage it may not need to be quite as fancy. the bench design worked out great and is STOUT though. i was standing on it to do some trim work above and it didn't budge.

I lucked out and scored enough cabinets to line the inside of my 36x48' shop for nothing. Included in the deal was a 8'x36" desk with drawers and cabinets. Were I to do it over.....I think I would buy the one from costco for $300.

If interested, will send you some pics of my work benches. They will support a 7.3 International Harvester diesel, has a barrel vise bolted to it, ugly as hell, NO fuufuu, no drawers, plywood, structural steel framing parts and costs about 50 dollars and 1 hour of your time. In a working shop, you can beat the living shit out of it, just looks back at you.

I'll try to snap a couple of pictures of mine. I didn't build it, turns out the space I was moving into had 2 workbenches that the previous tenant just left there. They're more like electronics benches but the main one weighs a ton with a 1.5 top plus an extra over shelf that I have my screwdrivers and such hanging from. Bench is also strong enough for the HUGE Wilton vise I have.

I like the Sams club bench, but lets see some more reloading bench pics!!!

Just make sure its guna fit thru the doors. I made one super heavy duty exactly how I wanted it then had to take it apart to get it in the door lol. Definitely use 4x4's for legs and a heavy top. I would post pics but not really sure how..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cmon, you guys need a bench that will hold a diesel engine
smile.gif
</div></div>

Or a surface grinder.
laugh.gif
4'x5' 1" plate steel
P1040073-1.jpg

They really come in handy.
P1040075.jpg

I bought one of the shop fox benches and laid an old door we had on top. I went to Costal Farm (A Farm supply store) and bought the mat that they put in horse stalls and laid it on top of the bench. Its pretty tough stuff.

Heres a pic when I first put it together.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kc

I went the easy way out.
If you have an IKEA close to you I went with a 96" butcher block counter top and two 24" cabinets to hold it up. Give plenty of room. For the uppers I went with some 36" each slide and a 24" in the middle. Set it up like over the range setup. Some under cabinet lighting and it's done.
DSC_0575.jpg

It's been very solid! Just an option for those that do not have a cabinet shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cmon, you guys need a bench that will hold a diesel engine
smile.gif
</div></div>

i'll give ya a dolla if it can hold one of these cat 3616 gen sets
grin.gif

d23ecc33.jpg

5b61ee7b.jpg

edit: to be fair, these are actually running off of methane produced by a landfill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cmon, you guys need a bench that will hold a diesel engine
smile.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif

d23ecc33.jpg

5b61ee7b.jpg
</div></div>

Mine would hold it......but it would shove through the floor in a hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cmon, you guys need a bench that will hold a diesel engine
smile.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif

d23ecc33.jpg

5b61ee7b.jpg

edit: to be fair, these are actually running off of methane produced by a landfill. </div></div>

If you cover shipping, I'll give it a try.
laugh.gif

my personal reloading/light smithing bench would probably hold a 3 cylinder deutz
grin.gif

gunroom.jpg

gunroom1.jpg

gunroom4.jpg

i sure wish that bench was as clean now as it was when these pictures were taken.

most of my benches are wood framed except the last one I built using 3x3 angle iron I had left from a job.
workbenches003.jpg

workbenches007.jpg

canonstick835.jpg

canonstick834.jpg

workbenches001.jpg

url]
ums/f260/cockcroft/canonstick836.jpg[/IMG]
canonstick836.jpg

canonstick837.jpg

I got wood working bench plans from Lee Valley 30 years ago for $20. I built a bench from rock hard Maple that weighs 360 pounds.

I got a lift bench on casters 10 years ago from Boeing surplus for $75. The top is 1/2" steel plate. I mount the barrel vise to that.

Rem700roundactionwrenchwithbushings.jpg

That lift bench is only 2'x3' but it weighs 400 pounds, and will take the torque reaction of 500 foot pounds to unscrew a rusty old military barrel.