• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith for M40 A1 build Leo Conring

Tickle

Exhale....Squeeze
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Georgia
Anyone heard of Leo Conring? Gary Schneider at Schneider barrels recommended him to me. Anyone have any work done or rifles built by him? I've spoken with him by phone, retired USMC sniper and worked a PWS Quantico also. Very nice guy and informative. I don't have any doubts about him at all, just wondering if anyone has used him by chance.

Thanks in advance.

Leo built me 12 M40A1's for use in the film "Jarhead". His rifles are pieces of art. All shoot amazing. He can be a little slow getting the weapons completed, but they are well worth the wait. You will not regret purchasing one of his M40A1's.

I have a friend, retired USMC sniper who served with him (Dominick Iannace). I would say Leo is up there with Eric. I dont know if he has the support Eric had like at GAP? Post pics and get him on the hide.

Last edited:
Guys, I want to thank you for getting back with me. I think Leo has great things coming his way. The stuff he has in his shop is amazing. I'll post pics when he finishes my build. I wouldn't hesitate to use him for anything. Great guy.

Can someone forward me some contact info for Conring. I went through SSBS with him in the early 90's and havent seen him since. Would be great to catch up...Thanks~

I couldn't sleep tonight so I thought it would be funny to Google my name and see what comes up and sure enough I found this post. I don't claim any titles or claim to be the best, I just try my best to build a good rifle for my customers. One thing that I found out operating my own business is that you can't please everyone so you do your best and just stand behind your product at all cost.
I was an 8541 scout sniper at 2nd Mar Div. 3/8 and after my tour I went to gunsmith school in Colorado and then went back into the Marine Corps to become a 2112 which I did. That and a dollar MIGHT get you a small coffee at 7-11, just general info, anyhow Eric just happened to be my instructor building the M40A1 sniper rifles. I will take it as a compliment when some one posted that I was up there with Eric but I would have never made that statement myself. Eric was a great instructor and friend and still is. He taught me a lot. I am still in business and am located in Georgia. Conring Precision Weapon Systems LLC./ Conring PWS. 770-755-2879. I will post some pictures of some rifles I have built later. It took me an hour and a half to type this out and now I am going to sleep. It is now officially my birthday and I turned 45 today and my bones hurt and I have no business being up this late. Thanks to all who have let me build them rifles in the past. I hope they are still working and your pleased with them. Good night. Leo Conring OUT!

Thanks for all the replies guys and getting Leo on here. Welcome to the hide Leo.

I couldn't sleep tonight so I thought it would be funny to Google my name and see what comes up and sure enough I found this post.
If8Vd.jpg

Welcome to the Hide Leo!

I don't think any components were listed at all in this thread. What are you talking about? No one mentioned anything about cost either.
And no doubt worth every penny too! Sound like the perfect list of components

He was talking about a .338 build he has on hand, look just above my post.

I suppose it was a big of a thread hijack, I apologize for that and it was unintended.

I don't know if he deleted them or someone else did, but earlier today I did see what you replied to. A trued Winny action, a Bartlein .338 barrel, McMillan A-5 stock, etc.

No problem, I just didn't see any components listed or prices. No offense taken.
He was talking about a .338 build he has on hand, look just above my post.

I suppose it was a big of a thread hijack, I apologize for that and it was unintended.

Apparently I missed some of the Sniper Hide small print do's and don'ts, was not intentional just simple human error. Not mad just busy. I will just leave my contact info if any one needs any info or future builds even if you choose someone else, at least this way you will be well informed and have an idea what your project should cost. I don't charge to talk. I'm popping smoke and executing my E&E plan. Thanks Fellers. Leo OUT! Contact info as follows.

Leo Conring
Conring Precision Weapon Systems LLC.
196 Hightower Falls Road
Cedartown, Georgia 30125
[email protected] or [email protected]
770-755-2879

Yes, My uncle is working on one now. Hope to have it up and running after the first of the year.

Well, it's finally here. I ordered it in May and just got it today. The last thing I needed for my M40A1 build. Going to Leo's this weekend to drop it off. It's funny how that UPS truck makes it feel like Christmas sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_20131111_183745_270.jpg
    IMG_20131111_183745_270.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 25
Dropped off my stock today. Should be around Christmas when my build is finished. I'll post pics when it's done.

Leo built me 12 M40A1's for use in the film "Jarhead". His rifles are pieces of art. All shoot amazing. He can be a little slow getting the weapons completed, but they are well worth the wait. You will not regret purchasing one of his M40A1's.

He quoted about a month turn around if all the parts were supplied. I wouldn't call that slow.

A month is great! And fast. But remember, Leo built me 12. He did them as fast as he could, but the next day wouldn't have been fast enough for the show I was on.
Again, Leo builds AMAZING Rifles. Even if it was a three month wait, it would be worth it. The M40A1's he built for me are all correct Marine Corps Rifles. No corners cut, no incorrect parts, no shoddy work. Just precise, beautiful, smooth, rifles.
Leo is a really good guy. He'll take the time to answer questions, and is more than competent.

A month is great! And fast. But remember, Leo built me 12. He did them as fast as he could, but the next day wouldn't have been fast enough for the show I was on.
Again, Leo builds AMAZING Rifles. Even if it was a three month wait, it would be worth it. The M40A1's he built for me are all correct Marine Corps Rifles. No corners cut, no incorrect parts, no shoddy work. Just precise, beautiful, smooth, rifles.
Leo is a really good guy. He'll take the time to answer questions, and is more than competent.

First, didn't mean to offend you if I did. Second thanks for all the good things said about Leo and I have the same opinion of him as well. I've waited about 18 months on some other builds that I've had done by other Smiths.His turn around time surprised me as well as his background. Can't wait to get my rifle.

First, didn't mean to offend you if I did. Second thanks for all the good things said about Leo and I have the same opinion of him as well. I've waited about 18 months on some other builds that I've had done by other Smiths.His turn around time surprised me as well as his background. Can't wait to get my rifle.

Didn't offended me at all, Tickle. I work with liberal Hollywood types. It takes quite a bit to offend me.
Can't wait for you to get your rifle. Please post some pictures when you do.

Leo is a solid guy. Happy to hear that he is keeping busy.

[MENTION=91803]MPW[/MENTION] - you have any pics of the rifles Leo put together for you?

Thanks for your time,
DT

Just out of curiosity what happened to those 12 rifles used in the movie? Do you have any close up pics of those rifles?

I will post some pictures of the "Jarhead" Rifles soon. They are buried deep in the vault, so it will take me a bit of time. Most of the rifles were painted for the film, however, I did manage to keep one for myself in pristine condition. Leo made me 12 rifles for the film. I still have 11. One of the screen used rifles was sent back to Leo for him to keep.