• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith in NC?

Mauser34

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
South Florida
I'm looking for a gunsmith near Camp Lejeune that can true, blueprint and rebarrel a FN Mauser action in 308 Norma.

Re: Gunsmith in NC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mauser34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a gunsmith near Camp Lejeune that can true, blueprint and rebarrel a FN Mauser action in 308 Norma.</div></div>

I'd recommend Jim Kobe in Bloomington MN. He posts on here from time to time. He's done a bunch of work for me and everything he's done for me shoots lights out!

Edit:

I've got a .308 Norma, and to tell you the truth, I would look at something else personally. My rifle shoots awesome, (Jim did the final chambering and truing) but, finding or resizing brass is a pain. If you went with a .30-338 then you just take Win .338 Mag or 7mm Rem mag neck up/down and then fire-form that. I bought Norma Brass which ran me a buck and a half each. I'm currently loading just above minimums to save brass. Accuracy is excellent as is velocity so no need to push it for me. I'm sure if someone else owned the rifle, they might push it harder to see what it will do. The other advantage of the .30-338/.30-7mmMag is you will get as long, if not a little longer, neck than the .308 Norma so you'll save a little on your throat.
Mine was originally a .30-338 until I had it chambered for .308 Norma. I should have left it and saw how it shot before I put the money into it. But, after I put the money into it, it's been shooting great, so water under the bridge.
Mine BTW is built on a post '63 Win 70 that has one of the most awesome bedding jobs I've ever seen.

+1 for Iron Brigade Armory. Jon Wolfe at M14-Parts is also excellent but he is in Columbus,not near Jacksonville.The Chandlers are right there and second to none.

Dave is an excellent riflesmith, but should not to be bothered until he finishes my rifle.
wink.gif

Norm Chandler @ Iron Brigade, right off Marine Blvd. Also Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle and Tool will do you right if you like benchrest accuracy
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dave tooley, gastonia nc</div></div>

A big +1! as well. (Even though Jim Kobe is great)

But then again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave is an excellent riflesmith, but should not to be bothered until he finishes my rifle.
wink.gif
</div></div>

...I understand completely.
whistle.gif
whistle.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dave tooley, gastonia nc</div></div>

A big +1! as well. (Even though Jim Kobe is great)

But then again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave is an excellent riflesmith, but should not to be bothered until he finishes my rifle.
wink.gif
</div></div>

... I do understand completely.
whistle.gif
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Another +1 for Dave Tooley. His work is top notch and his rifles are all extremely accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mauser34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still looking for someone that can do a 308 Norma in a Mauser action.</div></div>

JIM KOBE>....

A lot of great smiths on here, but I will tell you Jim LOVES Mauser actions. If you want to send it off somewhere he is the guy, Otherwise I say take a drive and talk to Dave Tooley.

Another nod for Iron Brigade.

I'm probably dating myself, but I recall when Col. Chandler retired (as the C.O. of the Stone Bay rifle range down in LeJeune) and started at Iron Brigade (I think his brother was already getting the business going). Afterwards, at the local gunshow at the NG Armory I recall running into him, and him showing me a rifle he had made for a Cpl. Kemp (IIRC), and it was a really well made rig (M-40A2 was the standard back then). Still being on active duty, and only a Cpl myself back then, there was no way I could have afforded one (not with a wife and two tricycle motors running around), but I remember going over the rifle with him and chatting about his "Death From Afar" books (which IIRC had a picture of Kemp from when we were in Northern Iraq during the first Gulf War).

At any rate, I suppose I'm rambling a bit (brings back a lot of memories), but just wanted to say, from what I had seen of the rifles a few years ago, they still made a very nice rig.