• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith NW Ohio

mrslippery

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
NW,Ohio
Can any one here recommend a quality smith in the NW Ohio/Southern Mi area for a project I'm debating with my 70 stealth. I'm on the fence to have it cut to 20" and thread it or do a caliber swap to 6.5 x 47L(currently .308). Any one here doing the 6.5 x 47L with a 20" tube? I already have a .308 which has taken my attention away from this Winchester sitting in the safe. I also shoot a 6.5 x 284 F class type rifle which has me thinking of another 6.5 rifle. Considering the 6.5 x 47L for the barrel life, but unsure of the 20" barrel. 90% of my shooting is done at 300 to 500 yards at my local club, with a once a year trip south which takes me to 1000 yards. My current smith has retired and sold off his equipment, which brings me to you folks for some suggestions. I don't wish to get into a debate over the 308 vs 6.5 x 47L, ammo availability is not an issue, I've been rolling my own for over 30 years. I prefer not to ship the rifle, would like to talk to the smith face to face upon delivery if possible. Slip.

Re: Gunsmith NW Ohio

Look no further than Mark at "Short Action Customs" - as long as you're not in a rush. He is FLUENT in Winchesters and FNs, does amazing work, and unfortunately for those of us wanting it NOW - everyone knows it. When one man is in demand, the demander's must wait.

turbo54, that was one of the smiths recommended to me. What ever I end doing with the rifle I won't be in a rush. Have other range toys to play with. I'm leaning towards leaving it in 308, and using a savage action in the safe for the 6.5x47L. Slip.

One more for Mark @ Short Action Customs. You'll be hard pressed to find someone better anywhere. Good luck on your project.