• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith recommendations

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Looking for a smith that is a guru at bedding an action to stock. I have a Kelblys black bear on order going into a Manners PRS one and need the square tang in rear to mate perfectly with the stock...what do you gents recommend?

LRI if you get a flat top stock. I believe Chad and crew only do their bedding with their full stock work as they do their own custom inlet and then blend and refinish the stock

Do you intend for the same "smith" to do the barrel/chamber work, and bed the barreled action, install the DBM bottom metal, etc.?

Presume you are ordering the stock with inletting for that action, DBM, and barrel contour you plan to use?

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
Yes, I would like the gunsmith to the the entire job from start to finish. I just don’t want the stock to be painted because I like the carbon fiber look of the manners stock

I have nothing but wonderful experiences with Robert Gradous and couldn’t be happier.

I recently completed a build with Gray Sloan at Swift Creek Rifles. Beautiful attention to detail, fast turn around, and scary accurate.

All of the above mentioned builders/shops will do a great job. Also consider Beanland Rifles, Collier Rifles, Spartan Rifles, SAC, and GreTan rifles.

Many many more great smiths out there. These are just ones I have personal experience with.

I am very happy with Aaron Roberts of Robert Precision Rifles. Great guy too. You have a lot of good options.

I don't think Spartan is taking any more work. Either that or he didn't want to fuck with my current project rifle lol.

GreTan rifles guy is still alive? I thought he died like five years ago.

Every single person that's been recommended is good TBH. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them provided they have the time to do the work for you.

I have not heard of Greg Tannel dying. He is a great smith and good guy. Last I heard he had moved to Rifle Colorado of all places. He told me "Send your rifle to Rifle" was his new motto.

I have many folks who have done great work for me. With the level of quality and service I get from Chad and his crew at LRI it is hard to go anywhere else.

Reactions: Bender
Not sure if things have changed but Dixon always paints stocks, especially after doing a bed job. The way he does it removes factory finish and adds material in the Tang and potentially the bolt handle cut.

Any of the top smiths will be hard to discern the difference. LRI, PVA, Tooley, grad, beanland, cross, moon, SAC, and about a dozen others. I would find the one with the best prices and turn around time.

Thanks for all the responds, just called LRI and as it was mentioned above he does paint the stocks as he says they are “pretty heavy handed “ when performing there great work.

Moving on to contacting others mentioned on here

I have not heard of Greg Tannel dying. He is a great smith and good guy. Last I heard he had moved to Rifle Colorado of all places. He told me "Send your rifle to Rifle" was his new motto.

LOL I saw someone at the range with an m40 clone and the told me it was a "Gray-Tan" rifle but he's not making any more "because he's dead".

Some of these gunsmiths are 70-80 years old so you never know. Especially the M1A and Garand guys. Those dudes are nigh prehistoric.

Thanks for all the responds, just called LRI and as it was mentioned above he does paint the stocks as he says they are “pretty heavy handed “ when performing there great work.

Moving on to contacting others mentioned on here

Im interested in using LRI but this comment has me concerned or should I say confused?

Give Travis Stevens (TS Customs) a call. He has been doing my work for the past few years and it has all been top tier. Here is my Black Bear he did.

Attachments

• 9D6F0937-E98E-421B-BF7E-5C0603D2CE2A.png
    9D6F0937-E98E-421B-BF7E-5C0603D2CE2A.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
Im interested in using LRI but this comment has me concerned or should I say confused?

Most of the time they start with un-inletted flat-top blanks supplied by Manners, or the customer.

If the stock supplied is NOT a flat-top, the inlet is entirely filled with epoxy to make it a flat-top. Bolt handle is filled in with gas tank repair epoxy putty, then the rest is filled with a 2-part mix epoxy and milled fiber (this is as of 2015, things may be slightly different now). From there, a complete CNC inlet is done, .050" oversize from your action. Then bedding epoxy is put in the stock, and the action bolted in with stainless pillars. Epoxy cures, then the tang of the receiver and the stock are blended by filing/sanding for a seamless fit. The action is popped out, excess bedding is cleaned up, then the stock is inletted again from the top to make room for the trigger, pins, clean up bolt release area, mag well, bolt handle, etc... Then inletted from the bottom for bottom metal. Then there's exterior "body work" filling in pinholes, applying texture, adding sling studs, QD mounts, rails, etc...

By the time all of that work is done, the stock is about 6 different colors and materials, so he primes and Cerakotes them all for presentation. You can have him do just a CNC inlet, that will not require the bedding, sanding, filing, etc... but if it requires bedding, that's the only way he rolls.

Most of the time they start with un-inletted flat-top blanks supplied by Manners, or the customer.

If the stock supplied is NOT a flat-top, the inlet is entirely filled with epoxy to make it a flat-top. Bolt handle is filled in with gas tank repair epoxy putty, then the rest is filled with a 2-part mix epoxy and milled fiber (this is as of 2015, things may be slightly different now). From there, a complete CNC inlet is done, .050" oversize from your action. Then bedding epoxy is put in the stock, and the action bolted in with stainless pillars. Epoxy cures, then the tang of the receiver and the stock are blended by filing/sanding for a seamless fit. The action is popped out, excess bedding is cleaned up, then the stock is inletted again from the top to make room for the trigger, pins, clean up bolt release area, mag well, bolt handle, etc... Then inletted from the bottom for bottom metal. Then there's exterior "body work" filling in pinholes, applying texture, adding sling studs, QD mounts, rails, etc...

By the time all of that work is done, the stock is about 6 different colors and materials, so he primes and Cerakotes them all for presentation. You can have him do just a CNC inlet, that will not require the bedding, sanding, filing, etc... but if it requires bedding, that's the only way he rolls.

Thank you!

LRI is a great shop, my comment was not a negative one. Chad just relayed information to me regarding the kind of work that he does to perfectly blend the barreled action to the stock which requires painting in the end. I’m just not interested in painting the stock...that’s all.

LRI is a great shop, my comment was not a negative one. Chad just relayed information to me regarding the kind of work that he does to perfectly blend the barreled action to the stock which requires painting in the end. I’m just not interested in painting the stock...that’s all.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave Sink out of Clemmons NC. Quality work at a fair price.

I'm assuming you'll have all the parts after getting your action? My backlog is about 2 weeks and I could have it finished before the end of the month if I get it in time. I do not alter the factory finish on stocks unless there's damage to begin with.