• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith Recommendations?

Don't forget Preece precision in Utah. His lead times are usually rediculously quick, and does a very nice job, but if the dude from one of these recommendations responds to your thread, that's not a bad idea.

Did they say why? That seems a little off.
That's just what I was told by the person that I talked to when I called and was going over the build and getting price's. I don't think I saw a skim bed price on there website when I looked at it.

You should try River Bend Gun Company he used to work for GA Precision and does great work. His prices are good and he is fast.

Kirby Allen/ Allen Precision in Montana.

I’ve had Keith @ Phoenix custom rifles build me 2 tac drivers. He’s about to do a 3rd one for me. He is local to me as well.

I had Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes) do my 300NM. He was great to work with, delivered inside his estimate, and built a great rifle.
Can you post a pic? Hows the fit and finish? I have bought several barrels from him and seems like a good guy.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Has anybody done anything with Meredith Rifles?

Glen Demaray in Three Forks, Montana can build as good a rifle as anybody. He's very meticulous and may be backed up, but he's good.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
I already called LRI for quotes and they wanted $850.00 for just skim bedding so that knocked them out.

Not exactly.

First, I have not "skim bedded" a rifle since moving to S. Dakota in 2003. The $850 dollar rate is our standard Pillar Bedding service combined with filling an existing stock to start back over beforehand.

I have one standard and we don't deviate from it. Our stockwork begins with uninletted blanks. All of this is explained detail on our site and none of it has changed since opening my doors in 2009.

Our process is expensive because it has to be. This is not merely slathering some epoxy into a generic inletted "whatever" and stuffing it with an action greased up with shoe polish. Tangs are blended, gel coat inclusions are repaired, and floormetals are not bedded or fitted with a Dremel Axe. It's a lot of work and that makes it expensive. Not for everyone which is probably a good thing, the rate barely breaks us even in the grand scheme of things.

The store listing details all of this:

LRI Pillar Bedding Service

C.

Not exactly.

First, I have not "skim bedded" a rifle since moving to S. Dakota in 2003. The $850 dollar rate is our standard Pillar Bedding service combined with filling an existing stock to start back over beforehand.

I have one standard and we don't deviate from it. Our stockwork begins with uninletted blanks. All of this is explained detail on our site and none of it has changed since opening my doors in 2009.

Our process is expensive because it has to be. This is not merely slathering some epoxy into a generic inletted "whatever" and stuffing it with an action greased up with shoe polish. Tangs are blended, gel coat inclusions are repaired, and floormetals are not bedded or fitted with a Dremel Axe. It's a lot of work and that makes it expensive. Not for everyone which is probably a good thing, the rate barely breaks us even in the grand scheme of things.

The store listing details all of this:

LRI Pillar Bedding Service

C.

Chad, I have most of all my parts for my build. All I’m waiting on is my stock from Manners. It’s a CS2 with the mini chassis. Should be in by the beginning of February. I was wanting to send you everything for the gunsmithing and assembly. Will y’all do that with my stock already being finished out? Or will y’all only do rifle builds where y’all do the inletting on the stock? Thanks in advance.

Chad, I have most of all my parts for my build. All I’m waiting on is my stock from Manners. It’s a CS2 with the mini chassis. Should be in by the beginning of February. I was wanting to send you everything for the gunsmithing and assembly. Will y’all do that with my stock already being finished out? Or will y’all only do rifle builds where y’all do the inletting on the stock? Thanks in advance.

It's a mini chassis so there's no bedding to speak of. I don't bed the alloy stocks inserts. Doing so kinda seems counterproductive to the whole intent.

Should not be a problem.

Thanks for all the input guys. I wasn't going to start it until mid January anyway. I will start giving some of these guys a call next week.

I’ve had several rifles built by Mark Penrod, I will put his work up against any mentioned in this thread. His metal work is second to none. Super nice guy to talk to and he can explain things to a beginner or a nasa engineer. My last build was about a 8 month turn around. Penrod precision, in Indiana.

Yeah Mark from AO sent me a email last week stating the same thing. That's what I have been waiting to here so I could move on with this one. They were definitely one of the best in the nation.