• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith Recommendations?

biggmac1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
WA
I've got all the parts for a 300 Blackout bolt action build off a Remington 700 action, can someone recommend a good gunsmith to do the work? Thanks.

Re: Gunsmith Recommendations?

Short Action Customs hands down....Your not gonna beat the turn around time period.Mark is fast an his quality is top notch.

Mark at SAC built my M70 .308 rifle earlier this year and his attention to detail is amazing. I'll put that rifle against anything out there.

Jon Beanland. Not going to find a guy that pays more attention to detail. He does every build like it was his. Can't say enough good things about him!

I would call Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis SD. Had rifle built by him earlier this year and and it shoots extremely well. His craftsmanship is simply awesome. He is truly a "custom" gun builder.

Go with GA Precision, I just dropped off my second rifle at their place today. Top notch work, great people.

I have used Mike R. @ Tac Ops and Mark Gordon @ Short Action Customs. It really depends on what you want. Mike R. and Tac Ops crew will make a hell of a rifle. However, you need to wait as their wait times are longer because of all of the orders they have on the books. They have a reputation of building great rifles and that's why they already have orders on the books that need to be filled. So, don't shy a way from them if you really want a Tac Ops.

Mark Gordon @ SAC will make a great rifle too. Mark is newer then most smiths and his lead times are really good right now. However, with his reputation I don't see his lead time getting shorter
wink.gif

I suggest that you call whom ever you decide to go with and get that warm and fuzzy feeling. Besides after a call you might want to call around to find someone you feel will do the best job for your build. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience.

I just spoke with Mark at SAC two days ago and he quoted me 10 months for a full custom build. Those who are saying turn times arent that bad might want to rethink what they're telling folks. I would've loved to have him build me a rifle but I cant wait that long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spoke with Mark at SAC two days ago and he quoted me 10 months for a full custom build. Those who are saying turn times arent that bad might want to rethink what they're telling folks. I would've loved to have him build me a rifle but I cant wait that long.

</div></div>

10 months is pretty fast for your high-end smiths.

I will say Mike Bush, Black ops/ Skunkworks. Mike was great to work with. And my rifle looks great.

Anybody in this list will build a rifle that is going to shoot exceptionally.

I've done business with Mark and with Mike Bush. Both are great people and the product quality is beyond reproach.

Keep in mind with the 10 month turn time that Mark quoted someone, that likely includes the wait time for the parts to come in. Not for nothing, but I just got a shipping confirmation yesterday from a stock that was ordered on February 7th. 6-1/2 months for the stock.

Barrels showed up to a friend of mine that were ordered the last week of February. Almost 6 months.

NOW, if the customer has all of their parts in hand ready for the builder to turn it into a rifle I have seen SAC and GAP and UGSW/BlackOps turn a rifle in 4-6 weeks.

So, don't be quick to judge the rifle builder entirely on the lead time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spoke with Mark at SAC two days ago and he quoted me 10 months for a full custom build. Those who are saying turn times arent that bad might want to rethink what they're telling folks. I would've loved to have him build me a rifle but I cant wait that long.

</div></div>

Mark built my rifles in less than 6 months.

Keep in mind with the 10 month turn time that Mark quoted someone, that likely includes the wait time for the parts to come in. Not for nothing, but I just got a shipping confirmation yesterday from a stock that was ordered on February 7th. 6-1/2 months for the stock.

Barrels showed up to a friend of mine that were ordered the last week of February. Almost 6 months.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Incorrect.... I have all the parts sitting in my safe and I let Mark know that. </span>

NOW, if the customer has all of their parts in hand ready for the builder to turn it into a rifle I have seen SAC and GAP and UGSW/BlackOps turn a rifle in 4-6 weeks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Incorrect again. I was quoted 10 months.
</span>
So, don't be quick to judge the rifle builder entirely on the lead time. [/quote]
<span style="font-weight: bold">
No one is judging any smith by their turn times. I was considering Mark at SAC because of the quality of his work. He's backed up because he does quality work. I never said he didnt turn out good rifles. I personally am not willing to wait 10 months for a parts supplied build....nothing more, nothing less. What I was saying is dont spout out turn times about certain smiths unless you KNOW first hand what they are quoting. I understand you're trying to give props to your favorite smith, but it's misleading unless you're absolutely sure what you're quoting is true. </span>

</div></div>

swage, you have to remember that the best smiths will have the most business and the longest lead times. one thing that you might want to think about is that SAC is only about half an hour drive from you so it'd be easy for you to meet with mark in person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I understand you're trying to give props to your favorite smith, but it's misleading unless you're absolutely sure what you're quoting is true. </div></div>

Apprently what I hear from him and what you hear from him are different things.

Try "DaveWells", he's building a couple rifles for friends of mine and his turn time is 2-3 months plus parts availability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I understand you're trying to give props to your favorite smith, but it's misleading unless you're absolutely sure what you're quoting is true. </div></div>

Apprently what I hear from him and what you hear from him are different things.

Try "DaveWells", he's building a couple rifles for friends of mine and his turn time is 2-3 months plus parts availability. </div></div>

No harm, no foul bohem. I had a 30 minute coversation with Mark on Wednesday. It would be ideal for me to have him build me a rifle because he's so close to me. But things dont always work out the way one wants them to. Mark was being honest and upfront about his turn times. Some are willing to wait and some like myself aren't.

god there are so many on this site

APA- American precision arms
GAP- GA Precision
SAC- Short action customs
Beanland
Graduous Rifles
Black Ops Precision aka: skunkworks
Louisiana Precision Rifles
Chad Dixon
Young's Guns of montana
Tactical operations
Kampfield Customs

i'm sure i'm missing a few of the guys on here. you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spoke with Mark at SAC two days ago and he quoted me 10 months for a full custom build. Those who are saying turn times arent that bad might want to rethink what they're telling folks. I would've loved to have him build me a rifle but I cant wait that long.

</div></div>

Mark built my rifles in less than 6 months. </div></div>

Damn, it's grown quite a bit from when I had Mark build my rifle.

I sent it off to him in Nov 2010, before I deployed. He had it sent back to my house by the end of March 2011, I believe, which was a few weeks before I was back.