• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith school

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
So now it looks like the Norwegian government accepts gunsmiths that has gotten there education in pretty much every civilized country.
The new law that came up today, states that gunsmiths that has been trained in the US is just as good, if not better than the gunsmiths that is trained in Norway.

So here is the idea (I love ideas).
I have a shop that will give me all the hands on training, but i need to get basic training from an online course.
if i am enrolling into a course, i want to take the most comprehensive course i can get into(being an online course).

The schools needs to approved, so I have a professional diploma to show.

I have been looking at a lot of schools, but something tells me that the statement ''now you can become a certified master gunsmith for 99 dollars'' tells me that this is probably not the school i am looking for.

I have been looking at AGI proffesional gunsmithing course, Penn Foster, Ashwort college, and many more.
Can anyone give me a reccomendation on a good school that wants to learn me something, and not just take my money.

I work as a full time helicopter pilot, but thats only 15 weeks a year, so I'm looking for something to spend the remaining weeks on, and to spend some of my retirement time on;)

Re: Gunsmith school

The dream is to be able to build custom precision rifles, and yes I know it takes a lot of experience and money.
But I have to start somewhere;)

Go with AGI to utilize with your hands on experience and use the videos for reference as you go. Also keep in mind there is not such thing as a 'master' gunsmith muchless a 'certified master' gunsmith and if a program uses that terminology then it is to be avoided.

I used to work in the same shop as AGI's President Gene Kelly (about 30 years ago) and can vouch for the integrity of him and the company. The videos are good for reference materials and the instructors, Bob Dunlap, Gene Shuey and Darrel Holland are all top smiths.

However, most, if not all of the courses out there, including AGI's are not accredited by the Commission on Colleges, which provides college accreditation in the U.S. As I recall, only the machine shop and welding courses from AGI are accredited and earn transferable college credits. AGI does have a full gunsmithing course and you do get a certificate (diploma) from them, but I don’t believe its accredited and if its not, whether or not your government will accept it.

Also, there is no substitute for hands on experience and good gunsmithing DVD’s should only be considered as resource material, like armorers manuals are.

Trinidad State (and a few others) offer NRA Summer courses. Classes are one or two weeks long and have dorms availible if needed. When I was there we had students from Switz and Japan.

look up Trinidad State Gunsmithing NRA Summer courses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...The videos are good for reference materials and the instructors, Bob Dunlap, Gene Shuey and Darrel Holland are all top smiths.
</div></div>
Bob Dunlap fixed a shotgun for me that ate itself alive at a Front Sight course many years ago.