• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith that does hand checkering on pistol straps

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Bit of an odd request, but I'm looking for a gunsmith that can do front and rear strap checkering on a non-1911 pistol frame. I've been looking at a Volquartsen Scorpion for a while, but I don't like that there is no F/R checkering. I know the recoil from a 22LR doesn't "need" checkering, but I'd like it to stay in line with my other pistols and 1911s. The only smiths I've seen online do 1911's and they have specific fixtures and CNCs to do them.

Is anyone willing to checker something like this by hand?

1600796700345.png

Thanks,

Sam

Unfortunately, they removed a very useful corner. Is that aluminum? I have done 1911's and still have the files but no more. My hands don't work like they used to.

I s that aluminum? I have done 1911's and still have the files but no more. My hands don't work like they used to.
    Yes it is aluminum.

I have no desire to attempt (and likely botch) it myself haha.

i've checkered a few pistols by hand.....it's a lot of fun but takes a while to do well.

the easiest one i ever tackled was an aluminum frame 1911, it was so much quicker and easier than the steel 1911s i had previously checkered.

you don't absolutely need a specific jig to checker....i started that way but gravitated to simply clamping a straight edge to the side of the grip and used that as my starting point and alignment. it's a matter of preference. The jigs were very nice to have when i first started to play with this, later on i found them to be a bit constricting or superfluous.

i think i got pretty good at it eventually but i must admit my work paled in comparison to masters like Mr. Bruce Gray...his hand checkering is exquisite. I don't know if he does much of this anymore though you might check, it really takes it's toll on your upper extremity if you do it long enough.

you might also want to check to see if there's enough thickness to the area you want to checker as you are removing material. i had one frame that was way too thin

Not sure if Pete Single is still taking on work...he's renown for his gorgeous checkering work. I've also seen Brett Cifaldi's work and it's lovely.

Last edited:
    Why would you want to pay extra for hand checkering? Why not find a place that'll do machine checkering and get it done more precise and cheaper?

The only person I know that might still do it is Claudio over at Briley Manufacturing. It won't be cheap.

I still have my files from when I worked with them. I'm perfectly capable of hand checkering but I wont. It is too much of a pain in the ass... if I really want epistle done I'm going to send it out and have it machine done.

I'm not looking to pay extra for hand checkering, and I don't need executive-level, year-long wait, quality. It's for a 22LR plinker that I just want some extra traction on.

I'm only suggesting hand checkering because the couple shops I talked to said they couldn't do it because their fixtures and programs were only for 1911 frames. The Volquartsen Scorpion is 1911-esque I would say, but has enough differences to not work.

It's a simple program change but you still have to pay for somebody to rework the program. Most people don't want to pay that fee and the shops don't want to go through the hassle so they just simply say they can't do it.

If you just need extra grip, go get some skateboard grip tape and cut some strips or that anti-skid tape that you put on porch steps.

Remember, after checkered it's going to need to be refinished. Got to pay for that too.

If you just have to have the metal worked then you can consider doing steipling. It's a lot easier, a lot faster and typically cheaper. Still have to refinish the gun afterwards

It's a simple program change but you still have to pay for somebody to rework the program. Most people don't want to pay that fee and the shops don't want to go through the hassle so they just simply say they can't do it.

If you just need extra grip, go get some skateboard grip tape and cut some strips or that anti-skid tape that you put on porch steps.

Remember, after checkered it's going to need to be refinished. Got to pay for that too.

If you just have to have the metal worked then you can consider doing steipling. It's a lot easier, a lot faster and typically cheaper. Still have to refinish the gun afterwards
    I understand. I'm not saying I'm unwilling to pay, it's just that it's a 22LR, not an heirloom 1911 so $500+ for checkering doesn't make logical sense.

I was hoping to work with Volquartsen to purchase an unfinished frame to avoid re-finishing costs, but that is unknown. I'd want to source a gunsmith first, if possible.

I want to like the newer Black Mamba pistol from Volquartsen, which uses the polymer MKIV frame, but I can't warm up to it. Something about $1500 for a pistol that uses a stock polymer Ruger frame is a turn off to me. The Scorpion is a similar price but has a machined aluminum frame, unfortunately which isn't checkered and Volquartsen said they won't do it.

I actually found someone that can do this! This project is getting off the ground now.

Tec Performance in PA.

1600976542893.png

1600976568307.png

Reactions: SystemStooge