• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing gunsmithing school

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
i have asked a question about gunsmithing school before but this one from my brother, he is returning to the states and wants to go to gunsmithing school. he will be moving home to Indy In and is looking for a gunsmithing school is their one near? or does any one know where i can look.

you put it in to the net you get nra, or pennfoster. their one i found in Pennsylvania but their has to be more?

does anyone know if their a list of accredited schools for this training??

Re: gunsmithing school

there is a list at brownells but I went to Yavapai in Arizona.

The instructors are smiths they don,t just teach for a living they work.

There is a good one in Biscoe NC. Get up with Mark at Short Action Customs...that is where he went.

thank you ill pass the word, i and him want to go to Pennsylvania or Oklahoma but im in fl and him in Indy, too far with out uprooting families

Go to Colorado school of Trades Gunsmithing school. Best one in the Nation.

Having been to both of the 'best' gunsmithing schools- CST and MCC- MCC wins hands down. Remember this key fact, private schools are FOR profit, their budgets are tight and their cost HIGH.
As a result state sponsored college programs like Montgomery Community, want to spend every dime they get and show a need for more so they get it thereby getting you the best equipment and tools for your use.
At CST we were required to build one bolt action rifle on Howa action. No choice- this is what you get, this is what you do. At MCC you have a whole semester of action barreling, and a minimum of three are required, including barrelling, action alteration, etc.
Night and day difference, so give that some consideration before jumping in.
As well as education for your time, in NC even out of state residents can get instate tuition rates by being sponsored by a part time employer which is super easy to get if for no other reason than to be sponsored. This makes it about 600 dollars a semester. The only costs that could be MORE than the private schools are material costs of barrels, parts, etc but that is ALL stuff you get to keep!
And Yes, Mark at SAC did go to MCC.

Co skewel of trades is a joke.

Ask any of the 5 emploees that I had at Nesika what they think of it.

Old wore out equipment and instructors that got teaching jobs cause they couldn't make it in the industry.

Like they say. If you can't do you can teach. . .

Don't kill the messenger here. Just passing on what everyone of them agreed on/said almost 8 years ago. . .

Trade schools are about job placement percentages. Not education/experience. Doubt it? Just watch a commercial about one once. They all but tell you.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having been to both of the 'best' gunsmithing schools- CST and MCC- MCC wins hands down. Remember this key fact, private schools are FOR profit, their budgets are tight and their cost HIGH.
As a result state sponsored college programs like Montgomery Community, want to spend every dime they get and show a need for more so they get it thereby getting you the best equipment and tools for your use.
At CST we were required to build one bolt action rifle on Howa action. No choice- this is what you get, this is what you do. At MCC you have a whole semester of action barreling, and a minimum of three are required, including barrelling, action alteration, etc.
Night and day difference, so give that some consideration before jumping in.
As well as education for your time, in NC even out of state residents can get instate tuition rates by being sponsored by a part time employer which is super easy to get if for no other reason than to be sponsored. This makes it about 600 dollars a semester. The only costs that could be MORE than the private schools are material costs of barrels, parts, etc but that is ALL stuff you get to keep!
And Yes, Mark at SAC did go to MCC. </div></div>

Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC.

[email protected]

MCC is a great school. They start you off right by making all students complete a 16 week semester of nothing but machine shop work where you build all your basic tools from action wrenches, barrel vice's and bushing and other tools. During that week you really learn how to run lathes, mills and surface grinders to lay down the foundation for all your coming work.

The staff is great, they have plenty of real world knowledge and there is not such thing as "only as strong as the weakest link" when it comes to your education. The sky is the limit.

I would highly recommend MCC over other schools out there. We have had students from other Gunsmithing schools that ended up just going to MCC afterwards for a better education and experience. Not only will you learn some basic fundamentals, you will also get some great contacts along the way.

Mark

Hey Short Action- you got something on the tip of your nose there buddy- looks like a smudge....... go take care of that.
I have had lunch with Wayne 2x in 2 weeks, and we even talked about you- I'd would have told you all about it but you never called back.

Again- I have covered this a LOT, throughout the industry and even wiht SAC in front of the Rotary Club, MCC is awesome and the education is truly in depth and allows you to focus where you want, while still learning the basics. You can even learn about little details like action length!

I won't say a lot about what I am currently doing at the moment. Your question is fair, and I agree. If you want to verify that I am not some random asshat give SAC a call or pm and ask him about Mongo, if that still isn't enough you are welcome to email or call Wayne at MCC, SAC provided his email up above I believe, and again ask about Mongo.

Just curious if I knew of ya. Couldn't tell from the name
smile.gif

No one uses my real name anymore LOL- Mongo is a superstar in the world of Firearms and Karaoke!

Check your local tech schools for machining programs- I've brought a lot to my team by having a machining background to contribute to the gunsmithing way of things.

Great info. I've been looking around here in Northern VA for a while and like the idea of starting out by getting into a machining program. Good stuff.

I built 15 guns while at the Pennsylvania school by great instructors using new Clousing and Sharp equipment.The wealth of information offered was all you could adsorb.You reap what you sow in any trade school.The Chief has passed but he lives on in the knowledge he gave to thousands of smiths.Gun smithing for a living is a tough business and learning to be a machinist first will help you in the future.Always remember if you want a small fortune start with a large one.

A while back I read about a school that was supposed to be in Az. around globe or something like that. I my have the wrong town but I am sure it was Az. though. Am I correct? Does anyone know of such a school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SouthPawShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A while back I read about a school that was supposed to be in Az. around globe or something like that. I my have the wrong town but I am sure it was Az. though. Am I correct? Does anyone know of such a school. </div></div>
You are perhaps thinking of Yavapai College in Prescott AZ.

This is the list found on Brownells website. The names are linked to each school's website using the link for the list:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Gunsmithing Schools</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Colorado School of Trades</span> (for profit)
1575 Hoyt Street
Lakewood, CO 80215
Phone: 303-233-4697 ext. 42
Email: [email protected]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Lassen Community College</span>
478-200 Hwy 139
Susanville, CA 96130
Phone: 530-251-8800

<span style="font-weight: bold">Montgomery Community College</span>
1011 Page Street
P.O. Box 787
Troy, NC 27371
Phone: 910-576-6222 ext. 234

<span style="font-weight: bold">Murray State College</span>
One Murray Campus
Tishomingo, OK 73460
Phone: 580-371-2371 ext. 235

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pennsylvania Gunsmith School</span> (for profit)
812 Ohio River Blvd.
Avalon, PA 15202
Phone: 412-766-1812

<span style="font-weight: bold">Piedmont Community College</span>
1715 College Drive
P.O. Box 1197
Roxboro, NC 27573
Phone: 336-599-1181 ext.244

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pine Technical Institute</span>
900 4th St. S.E.
Pine City, MN 55063
Phone: 320-629-5157

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trinidad State Jr. College</span>
600 Prospect
Trinidad, CO 81082
Phone: 719-846- 5577

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yavapai College</span>
1100 East Sheldon Street
Prescott, AZ 86301
Phone: 928-776-2348

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Company/links.aspx?catid=8

The correspondent courses are not worth the time or the cost. Note that two of the schools listed above are operated to make a profit whether you get anything out of the programs or not.

I suggest checking out the websites for each school then sending off for any printed material each may have. Many are using just the internet instead of mailing a large package of printed material to save costs. Make a list of questions which you can send off by e-mail for faster answers.

Community colleges and tech schools can be great places to begin by enrolling in basic machine shop courses. This will be a better start to learning gunsmithing when the pressure to learn the machining is removed.

Call Alan Lohr at Yavapai

The classes were intense.

I graduated CST about a year ago. I liked it there. There were a few things that could have been improved but for the most part it was good. But remember, CST teaches you the basics of general gunsmithing. They dont get super involved in things. One of the things I wanted to learn was how to true up an action. They didnt teach it cuz they "didnt have the time". Luckily a good friend of mine is a excellent high accuracy rifle builder and showed me how to do it and I built my long range tactical rifle at his place instead of at school where I originaly was going to do it. And It looks Great! Also I have heard that alot of things have changed at CST since I graduated. I havnt been there since I graduated but the rumor is that things have gone down hill.

Has anyone tried AGI? its all virtual so im sure its not the greatest. But for someone who cant relocate it might work? Im sure you wouldnt be able to do the machining and custom build stuff but small repairs and regular jobs might be enough?

I sure would like to go to a good school to be a smith. I have always been a good wood worker and my passion is firearms but I dont think the wife would let me just skip out and go back to school! Especially since im still paying off my loans for my bachelor degree...

Enrolling in a gunsmithing trade specific machine shop course is always a preferable option.

For those who can not relocate, the choice is a local community college machine shop course. Keep in mind that tuition assistance is the usual means of populating these programs and therefore you will encounter instructors and students of varing motivations. If you are motivated and are willing to do the <span style="font-weight: bold">preparatory reading</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">research</span>, and <span style="font-weight: bold">application</span>, you will reap great benifit from the expreience.

If the program is not supported with references, texts, videos, and the machinery is old, dirty and in disrepair, look elsewhere. Any program that does not have as it's core basic references such as a Machinists Handbook and a current Machine Shop Technology textbook, it is usually set up to suck up the government money as it's sole purpose, money which is redistributed to other programs.

If the instructor is simply a show and tell teacher without a reference, text, etc., your gain from the experience will only be as good as your personal long term memory.

If you are sincere in your interest to be a gunsmith and you have family obligations, a night class is always a consideration. Invest in the books and references. Make your tools.

Enjoy the journey.

Sence asking this question i have been hanging out with a machinist in town, i have a machining background, im a cert. wielder is stick mig and tig, including alum and others. i have sense built 4 guns and am finding its a hands on art-form. im currently working on a 20 inch AR platform for long range. i would agree that Apprenticeship and going to a qualified school is the only way to go.

Tattoo artists don't necessarily make good painters or sketch artists. You wouldn't go to a sign painter to learn tattooing.

Gunsmithing involves machine operation, but you don't have to be a machinist. I know a lot of machinists, and non of them are gunsmiths, no do most of them know a great deal about guns. Can a machinist be a good gunsmith? Yes, and vice versa but- it's all in the details. Same in welding..... fabricating farm equipment is like gunsmithing, but not the same. Having the basic knowledge though can give you a foundation to introduce you to guns though if that is your desire.

Gunsmithing stands alone, while still requiring a hybrid set of skills.