• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmithing schools online?

thumper49802

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2008
Kingsford, MI
Hello guys, i have a quick question. I was wondering on reputable gunsmithing schools online. With a main focus on precision rifles.

Kind of need someone over your shoulder for that stuff. Also nice for someone to check your work.

don't plan on becoming a gunsmith by simply viewing online info...it's far more detailed than that. If you just need an idea of a specific setup/processes etc. that's one thing but to think you'd be a certified competent gunsmith without any one working directly with you isn't going to happen. Kind of like learning to drive without having someone there to teach you the subtle issues that arise with driving.

If you could give use a detailed explanation of what you wish to accomplish, it would be quite helpful.

Do you have a background as a machinist? If not, go get one before you start working on any guns.

Regardless if you plan on doing this for a living, get plenty of scrap stock to practice cutting on, find some cheap rifles that you can work on truing

if you do a search on here and on youtube, there are plenty of detailed video on truing actions...on is the video series on truing 700's

Last edited:
I know im not going to do online classes and ta da im a gunsmith. Ive been working with lathes, vertical mills, and plenty of hand tooling for about 5 years now, and i just need to find a place where i can take the classes and get the paper qualifications. Ive got the tooling to do it myself. Several good friends are machinists by trade, and have learned a great deal from them. When i started i used the wax practicing blocks that are still handy till this day to bush up and stuff ive not done in a while. I dont plan on being a entity such as GA or any other reputable business but, there is a call for such firearms in my area and not everyone has a ton of disposable cash. Business principles aside, Its more for a certification so if I wanted to I could say apply at such places as GAP, or APA, etc...

I'd suggest looking into a local trade school or community college to see what is offered. There you'll get some real experience and a certificate that has some meaning.

Also, call those places that you're referencing and get their take of on-line gunsmith certifications before you do anything else. They'll likely say that you can get it if you like but it means little without proper experience.

Consider useing the search function on this site as the "I want to be a Smith" topic comes up all the time. Within there the online topic has been discussed.

Not trying to take wind out of your sails, just let you know what to expect. It would suck if you spent time and money on a certification that doesn't amount to much

Hello guys, i have a quick question. I was wondering on reputable gunsmithing schools online. With a main focus on precision rifles.

Potential customers with precision rifles are not going to be impressed with on-line certificate of any kind. I'm afraid they will just walk away as soon as they learn you got your credentials on line, unless you're able to catch them in time and explain that it's all for decoration and you're good at machining and stuff.. Personally, If I happened to have certifiction from on-line outfit of any kind, I would simply hide the existance of such document.

A long time ago, before I knew anything about forums, I tried one of these online programs. It was the biggest rip off I ever experienced. A ton of money for a bunch of general information on copied hand outs. Let's not forget the "free professional" punch set that comes with the course. This is only my opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, they are all BS. Like it's already been said, you can have any paper/certification you want to earn or buy, but you will still have to make your own name in this game before anyone will let you build for them. It's damn hard to do, and doesn't pay big dividends. Agian, not trying to discourage you, but want you to know what you're in for. There are several ways to about building precision rifles, such as tools and methods. I show just one way to do it which works just fine in my videos, and it's free. If you understand, and have machining experience, then you should have no issues. Forget the paper. No one ever asked me if I had one, nor do they ask any of the reputable smith here either. Best of luck.

With all the info you guys have given me, im going to look for a smith whos willing to take me on and teach me as much as possible. Hopefully I can find someone. Thanks for the help gents you've been much appreciated.