• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths You Are Impressed With

Re: Gunsmiths You Are Impressed With

Harold E. MacFarland wrote a great book on gunsmithing.

Jack Belk used to make great posts on gunsmithing.
Gale McMillan used to make great posts on gunsmithing.

Bill Leeper makes great posts on gunsmithing.
Wnroscoe makes great posts on gunsmithing.

Mike Bryant has a helpful web page:
http://bryantcustom.com/articles/rebarrel.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tyler Whaley at Superior Shooting Systems is phenomenal.</div></div>

Tyler is a heck of a nice guy and his attention to detail is second to none. The rifle he built for me is an absolute hammer. You'll be pleased with his work.

Just had my first rifle built by Ray Silverman in Rock Hill South Carolina and he did a great job. He is a really nice guy to talk to and do business with. I will soon be getting him to build another rifle for me.

The guys at predator custom shop in tenn. do great work, built rifles that shoot awesome, and have rapid turn around times. They are doing our duty rifles right now (28), the prices are also very reasonable. They built me two great rifles already.

Richard King
www.kings-armory.com/

Richard has built one F-Open 6.5X284 rifle for me, (shoots light out)and is going to build a F-Open 284win. He just doesn't know it yet! "The barrels are a coming!"

Richard, remember this plug when you are calculating my bill next time!

Just sent the parts out today, headed to GA Precision (A10XRIFLE). Two more rifles coming up!
Also own rifles built for me by Randy at RD Precision (HateCA) and Jered at APA (JJoplin).
All equally impressive and unique, you can't go wrong by using any of these shops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me. </div></div>

On a lot of the BR Equipment List "Self" is listed as the GS.....that SOB does stay busy doesn’t he
wink.gif

I am impressed with Mr Roscoe. Even though he hasnt done any work for me, he has answered my dumb ass question from time to time and all around a stand up guy

I found a really down to earth guy that is building nice rifles and turnaround time is 2 wks or less if you have the componants. His name is $%^*(##@ and his address is *&^%$#.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdavis78102</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Richard King
www.kings-armory.com/

Richard has built one F-Open 6.5X284 rifle for me, (shoots light out)and is going to build a F-Open 284win. He just doesn't know it yet! "The barrels are a coming!"

Richard, remember this plug when you are calculating my bill next time! </div></div>
Where is he located?

Here's a great 1911 'smith
John Harrison

Roger Burch from West Valley Utah, Rogers Custom Rifles. Has a wealth of knowledge, great customer service and great turn around times. Also if you're into muzzle breaks check him out you'll be really impressed.

Chad Dixon looks like the man to be talking to also. I dont know him but I think he looks to be a serious builder. Worked for Nesika too, that cant be too bad to have on ones CV.

+1
I picked up my rifle from him yesterday and went over it last night.
He finished on the early side of his estimate.
Flawless work.

Ozzie at Suarez Tactical Rifles! Great guy, ordering with him and getting my rifle built was very enjoyable. After talking with him so much we seemed like best friends, haha

I just had my first smithing job done. I sent my 700 SA with McM-A4 to Charley Robertson at Score High Gunsmithing (www.scorehi.com) in Albuquerque, NM. Goes by the name of ScoreHigh here on the Hide. He pillar bedded it for me and cut/recrowned the barrel.

Top notch work, quick turn around time and plenty helpful with questions! Thanks again Charley!
grin.gif

I have Gary Long from Pennsylvania build my rifles. Gary builds championship benchrest rifles. 4 rifles built from him, .243 Ack, .30 BR, 6R, and my most recent a .308 tactical rig

Finding a good gunsmith is like finding a good doctor/mechanic/etc. Tough to find but once found there is a tremendous amount of loyalty because they personally care about your success and are capable of delivering quality product and service.

Greg is one of the best...

P.s. I am not affiliated w/Gre'-Tan Rifles but have used their services

http://www.gretanrifles.com/

Another vote for GAP. Just got a rifle from them and it is just flat amazing.

Does Jon Beanland have a website? Contact info?

William Roscoe is my builder of choice. I also was very pleased with a rifle I had from Rob Snyder. I will always consider both of them for my future builds.

I have two more planned for William this year
wink.gif

Currently I have rifles built by:

Terry Cross (KMW), William Roscoe (Louisiana Precision), and
"Moon" (T. Roberts at GA Precision). All exhibit excellent craftsmanship.

My current new build is with WnRoscoe.

Holcomb Kearns, Tallassee, AL The Gunworks 334-252-1939. Great General service gunsmith. He teaches at the local FBI Firearms Instructor Courses on the S&W revolvers. Local Armorer to several State Police agencies. Taught Rem 11-87 Armorer Course to a State agency. Has done personal work for me on 1911-A1s, Detonics .45s, H&R rifles, High Standard shotguns, Remington 700s, Browning HPs and DuraCoat finish on S&W revolver. Really nice guy who does a profession job. From what I have personally seen going on in his shop, there is nothing lacking in his cabability to do a job. Bluing jobs, they may be sent out to another shop that does primarily that so he can keep costs lower.

Ray Parga of Del Valle Gunsmithing (Goes by "Parga" here on the hide). He completely saved another gunsmith's error on my 1911 and turned it into an absolutely beautiful pistol. I am sure he would chat with you for hours about smithing, guns, life, whatever...if he wasn't up to his eyeballs in firearms. Super nice guy...I can't recommend him enough.

His work

Josh

Dan Cowen in Renton Washington, excellent smith been around a long time.

Karl FeldKamp of Kampfeld Custom

Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs

Superior craftsmanship

You'll never hear his name, but my good friend Manford Hammond has been a smith for 50+yrs. He can build a rifle that shoot as good as any. Remington, Savage, Mauser, Ruger, it doesn't matter. I f it has an action, he can build on it. He is starting to slow down. I realize that I am fortunate, to be his friend. Every firearm that I own has had a trigger job done by "Mannie". I currently have 3 rifles off of 700 actions that he built. At 75 yrs. old, he is not new to this game. When he was 10 yrs. old he made a .22 (shorts only) from a cap pistol to shoot pigeons off of the nieghbors roofs for a bounty. His lifetime of expereince is invaluable, so I am continually gleaning as much as I can from him. Hats off to ya, Mannie!

My favorites in no specific order....

George Gardner @ GA Precision
Mark Gordon @ Short Action Customs
Robert Snyder @ RWS Gunsmithing
Surgeon Rifles

Can agree with this post....Will not find a nicer guy to do business with. His customer service is second to none and his builds reflect his craftsmanship.

Terry Cross of KMW is another good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk4357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Karl FeldKamp of Kampfeld Custom

</div></div>

Gary Long in PA. Builds mostly Hunter class and Varmint for Score BR rifles. He has built 4 from scratch for me and fit/chambered a whole bunch of others.

Micheal May does all the rifle work here at Nighthawk Custom. He is as attentive to detail as anyone you'll find and I can promise you if it's not right it won't leave till it is. Besides that he is a very humble and super nice guy. He's putting some great rifles out the door and I think you will be hearing his name a lot more in the future.

hey guys i have some things i wanted to get done on my rem 700 sps i wanted to get the following done:
1)Tactical bolt knob installed
2)Spiral bolt&barrel flute
3)Have the gun coated with gun kote or cerakote olive drab green with matte black accents.

Who should i get to do this that will do a good job but i wont be broke as hell when its all said and done thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys i have some things i wanted to get done on my rem 700 sps i wanted to get the following done:
1)Tactical bolt knob installed
2)Spiral bolt&barrel flute
3)Have the gun coated with gun kote or cerakote olive drab green with matte black accents.

Who should i get to do this that will do a good job but i wont be broke as hell when its all said and done thanks guys </div></div>

Email sent.

Mark