• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths You Are Impressed With

Hawkeye2005

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa - USA
I've read some post about bad experiences with gunsmiths. I'd like to know the names of gunsmiths that you guys are impressed with, there quality of work and general demeaner.

Re: Gunsmiths You Are Impressed With

Terry Cross is a hell of a nice guy, awsome shooter, and thinks outside of the box, check out the stock and bottom metal he invented, PodLocks, and since he's a one man operation with every stick that leaves his shop has his company name on it quailtity is second to none.

George at GAP (4 rifles)
Jered Joplin (1 rifle)

I have had good experiences with both. The only thing that would lead me to use one over the other would be how quickly I need something done.

John Beanland. Goes by Beanland here on the hide. His demeanor is second to none and his attention to detail is better than every gunsmith I have used.

Robert at RWS Gunsmithing, does a heck of a job!

My personal experiences are with the guys at G.A. PRECISION and Don Geraci. Both have built superb tack drivers for me and have been a pleasure to deal with.

I like the hell out of Don Geraci , he is a hard guy not to like and I think if you can't get along with him you have issues. He is a supurb builder also !!

Nathan Dagley has impressed me , William Rosco and Chris Mathews also have done some awsome work for me with amazing turnarounds.

I have't had guns built by many other yet but I've heard alot of good things about alot of guys here

Dave Sink of Dave's Gunworks in Lexington, NC. He works on your rifle like it's his own and his prices are more than fair.

Guapo«Don White» 3 rifles
WinRoscoe «William Roscoe» 1 rifle
RWS Gunsmithing «Robert Snyder» 3 rifles
All above have done excellent work and in a very timely manner. these guys are very profesional and great people.

Benchmark barrels, probably 5 full rifles for me and they make their own barrels so you are never waiting on the tube and ron and jerry are top notch smiths at very reasonable prices.

I think 300sniper who posts on here is going to be something serious when he eventually takes the plunge.

couldn't help it...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPQM4h-UZtc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPQM4h-UZtc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Tyler Whaley at Superior Shooting Systems is phenomenal. I’ve shot several sticks that he’s built, besides the best shooter I have, and have yet to get my hands on something that’s not anything but a tack driver. He’s a long wait but most good gunsmiths are.

X2

Jason Perry, goes by strictlyRUM here on the Hide. Great dude and an awesome smith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Beanland. Goes by Beanland here on the hide. His demeanor is second to none and his attention to detail is better than every gunsmith I have used. </div></div>

I second this, Jon is an excellent smith who will treat your gun right!

While I have never had Jason do any gunsmithing for me, he is a stand up guy, class act all the way! I wouldnt hesitate for a second to choose him for working on my guns.

WPG a member here on the hide.... GREAT Communication, and Very very fast service. I needed something done in a hurry and they went above and beyond.... Top notch work to boot !

Jered Joplin from American Precision Arms formerly Patriot Arms. GREAT Guy, GREAT Shooter and an undeniably great smith...

GA Precision with both George and Moon as smiths. Got 4 of their rifles. All shoot great.

Terry Cross is also first rate. Had one of his rifles I had to sell and wasn't happy about doing so.

Terry Cross is a topshelf guy! Unfortunately, he no longer builds customer spec'd sticks. He recommended Jerry Newman for a 30-'06 build I was wanting. Jerry is a great guy to deal with. He made sure everything was done the way I wanted it and the rifle is a tackdriver.

If you want a rifle done by Jerry, you better hurry. The word is getting out about him and I can hear the wait times increasing as I type.

david

Two words. Jon Beanland. Not only is his work second to none as far as accuracy and fit/finish, but he has a good turn around time. The best part though, he is by far the nicest and most humble gun smith I have dealt with. I have two rifles built by him, and will have many more.

karl kampfeld
kampfeldcustom.com
has one of my rifles now. I saw his work through another Hide member I shoot with

Alan Brown of AJ Brown Arms Company has built me 4 top notch rifles.

Robert Gradous! Take a look @ his website. Notice the pictures of his shop? It is that clean at all times. Really squared away individual and the rifles he builds look as good as they shoot.

I was standing beside him while he threaded, chambered, cut, and crowned my barrel. Great experience for one who had never witnessed that part of rifle building.

http://gradousrifles.com/

I would recommend Jim Kobe in Bloomington MN, if you are in Northern Iowa just a two hour drive. Jim does fantastic work at a great price in little time. I have had him install four barrels for me this year on my F-class rigs. Call him at 952-884-8031.

wade

Mike Crain from Arkansas. Formerly Boatrite custom Guns. 4 rifle all excellent a fifth as soon as my barrel comes from Rock creek. Great work quick turnaround and reasonable prices.
JMO
Rad

Kirby Allen, Nathan Dagley, Karl Feldkamp, and soon to be Travis Redell

GAP and the team - incredible shooting 6.5x47

Terry Cross - one of a kind. can't say enough

Beanland and WNRoscoe - excellent to work with.

Constructor (H. Beene) - knows how to build AR's.

all of those listed.... You couldn't go wrong (APA, RDPrec......)

ive had 12 rifles built by Nathan Dagley and 1 built by gap and i wouldnt hesitate to have eather one build my next ones.

another for benchmark . ron and jerry make great rifles and barrels . 360 652 2594

Mike Bush at UGSW is building me a rifle as we speak. I can't tell you how many times I've changed my mind, or decided to add this or that. He has NEVER made me feel that I am wasting his time, or being bothersome. If I email him in the evening, he usually has me answered within a half hour.

Can't wait to see his work...

I have had Apa build a gun or 2 and do some work for me over the years. the results have always been outstanding. it always to me says alot when i go shoot a match in alabama or wv and Jered and Dave are there volunteering time and donating a rifle. not only do they build outstanding rifles, but they also give back to the shootng community.

another smith i would hightly recomend with Wroscoe at LA precision. I had him install a barrel recently, and the work is great. he kept me informed of the status of the job and answered any questions that i had. William is another great guy who really cares about the finished product and the customer.

in the future my money and builds will go to either LA Precision or APA.