• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunwerks new rangefinder ??

Re: Gunwerks new rangefinder ??

I'm with you in wanting to know a little more. I've heard they would be in the $1500 range. Seen on the TV show and that's about it.
I cant see myself spending more than a swarovski on something that isn't 'field proven'. i dont want to be a guinea pig if not give one heck of a deal on one!

I am not sure if this Range Finder has been built by Laser Technology Inc. but it at least seems to use some of thee same technology.

with that said LTI has been around for years and make some very state of the art products, I use one of their TruPulse 200 range finders and I have often been able to range out past 1500 yards.

I too would love to get my hands on the new product from gseven, I wish them luck

Seems a little sketchy to me.

SM,

I checked with CoryT to see if he had any word on these units. He's only seen a mock up to date.

I'd be sort of surprised if they can deliver all of these features at this price point. It's entering into Vectronix feature territory at less than half price street. One can only wait and hope it all works out as advertised.

makes ya wonder...

glad the Gunwerks guys are running the NF scope now
wink.gif
step in the right direction !

Have met Aaron before, highly intelligent guy !

My understanding is that Laser Technologies designed and/or supplied the laser (LIDAR) unit. I have some experience with the Laser Technologies LTI 20/20 LIDAR Unit.
In short the beam is delivered in a rectangular shape that is said to be 12 inches high by 30 inches wide at 1000 feet in distance. I have ranged objects with the 20/20 AT 4200 feet away, but they were more reflective than anything I could imagine in a field setting. The 20/20 unit if fast to acquire a target and emits pulses every 1/3 of a second.

All that said, I am curious about the G7 product as well.

This unit sounds like it will be using a slightly different LIDAR unit.

Because they're claiming MAX range 3000+ yds, Max Effective of 2K and Max Angular compensation of 1400yds. The beam divergence #'s weren't listed in the spec sheet which was one item I was curious about.

Did I miss it, can be used in both yards and metres? Pretty keen to see how these pan out. If they are reliable ranging to around 1300m consistantly, I would update my Swaro to one...

Cheers

We have one of these units for T&E. I plan to try it out and become familiar with it. Initial impressions are very high.

It has Lasertech.com on the bottom of the unit as the mfg. as well as Laser Technology on top

The specs are as follows based on the paperwork that was included with it.

Size - 5.09" x 4.45" x 2.10" (Larger than PLRF10)
Weight - 14.3oz.
Max Range - 2000 yards
Max Compensated Range - 1400 yards
Magnification - 7x
Laser - Invisible,Eye Safe,FDA Class 1
Beam Divergence - 2x4 MRAD
Battery - CR123

This thing is designed to offer real time ballistic calculations based on your specific BC and MV. It measures air pressure(converts to altitude), temperature and inclination and then calculates a solution accurate to 1400 yards.Wind holds are also offered in the display.

Programmable for up to 5 different cartridge combos. BC,MV,sight height, altitude, and temperature are specific inputs.

The eyepiece is extremely comfortable and very easy to focus. Glass appears to be very clear with a huge FOV.

The unit itself is just made very nicely and all controls(4 buttons) are easy to operate while holding steady.

It has tons of adjustment and about 8 crosshair selections.

It can be used in range only mode. It has near, far, and continuous function.

Ballistic profiles can be entered with all pertinent data.

It does not appear as if it will range in meters. Only yards.

All in all, initial impressions are high and ranging appears accurate to 1200 yards and easy to acquire targets.

3v91t.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have one of these units for T&E. I plan to try it out and become familiar with it. Initial impressions are very high.

It has Lasertech.com on the bottom of the unit as the mfg. as well as Laser Technology on top

The specs are as follows based on the paperwork that was included with it.

Size - 5.09" x 4.45" x 2.10" (Larger than PLRF10)
Weight - 14.3oz.
Max Range - 2000 yards
Max Compensated Range - 1400 yards
Magnification - 7x
Laser - Invisible,Eye Safe,FDA Class 1
Beam Divergence - 2x4 MRAD
Battery - CR123

This thing is designed to offer real time ballistic calculations based on your specific BC and MV. It measures air pressure(converts to altitude), temperature and inclination and then calculates a solution accurate to 1400 yards.Wind holds are also offered in the display.

Programmable for up to 5 different cartridge combos. BC,MV,sight height, altitude, and temperature are specific inputs.

The eyepiece is extremely comfortable and very easy to focus. Glass appears to be very clear with a huge FOV.

The unit itself is just made very nicely and all controls(4 buttons) are easy to operate while holding steady.

It has tons of adjustment and about 8 crosshair selections.

It can be used in range only mode. It has near, far, and continuous function.

Ballistic profiles can be entered with all pertinent data.

It does not appear as if it will range in meters. Only yards.

All in all, initial impressions are high and ranging appears accurate to 1200 yards and easy to acquire targets.

3v91t.jpg

</div></div>

Wow 2x4mrad beam Divergence is pretty damn big.

If it can do all that, hold up under real world field use, and do it accurately. It's a no brainer for $1500.

That's some high tech stuff there.

Good to see this thread, been wondering when this might show up here. Look forward to more of the review also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiredude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it can do all that, hold up under real world field use, and do it accurately. It's a no brainer for $1500.

</div></div>

So the problem I see with it...is...thats a HUGE god damn laser beam. Its going to hit the target and everything around it. The back scatter may be enough to throw off the reading.....thats what happens with the zeis monocular. The beam is 4x2.....and shooting a 8" circle in front of a forest thats another 200 yards behind it...your going to pick up the forest 9 out of 10 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiredude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it can do all that, hold up under real world field use, and do it accurately. It's a no brainer for $1500.

</div></div>

So the problem I see with it...is...thats a HUGE god damn laser beam. Its going to hit the target and everything around it. The back scatter may be enough to throw off the reading.....thats what happens with the zeis monocular. The beam is 4x2.....and shooting a 8" circle in front of a forest thats another 200 yards behind it...your going to pick up the forest 9 out of 10 times. </div></div>

Exactly. One of the Zeiss units shows as a huge square on a target. 1200 usable meh.... My Swaro has better divergence, and I've never had an issue hitting anything out to 1600 during all but foggy conditions and pretty regularly get readings out to 1850. The ballistic calc features are nice, but if it can't reach 2k accurately and regularly I'll pass.

This would probably be good for LR Hunting and comps, but that beam divergence is friggin' ginormous.

I'm no fan of LT gear. The TruPulse unit I bought from Optics Planet won't range on vehicle size reflective targets beyond 930 yards. The only way I could get beyond that was to use a water tower sized object but still FAR short of the advertised 2000 meters.

Returned the unit along with detailed info to targets lased, time of day, light conditions etc. Got a call from them 2 weeks after the return stating the was no issues with the unit. They even ranged a target @ plus 1100 yds in the rain.

Got it back and it seemed to range a bit farther than before but still not able to range near it's claimed ranged.

Called them up and raised hell with them about it and demanded my money back but they could only pass my frustration on. This time I got someone who seemed genuinely concerned about my issue and they offered to send me a brand new unit to try out. Very gracious of them I must say but, unfortunately it too was sub-standard in it's abilities.

So now I wait to see the outcome of this debacle. I called them today and it is being referred to the higher-ups.

I hope the new BR2 turns out to be a better unit but, I have to agree that the divergence is crazy big. I won't ask to get upgraded to the BR2, I'm going with a Fusion 1600.

The unit we have was handed off to one of our large local LE SWAT Sniper teams for a field evaluation. These guys have experience with some extremely accurate units from Vectronix and will apply how it works for tactical/field use.

Upon completion of the test, they have agreed to write up a full evaluation.

I used it quite a bit prior to handing it off to them. My concern was being able to lase small targets at distance in an open field. By setting the finder to the Near setting, it lased quite accurate out to 1200 yards. I used a fire hydrant as a target with a wide open space beyond it and then a tree line. The target returned back at 1190 yards and a tree line that came back at 1877. I have a few high end rangefinders that could not detect the hydrant, only the tree line. My one complaint of the unit so far, is that even on the brightest backlight setting, the readout becomes translucent in bright sun and somewhat hard to see, but still visible.

I myself have tried other devices from Laser Tech and was not satisfied past 700 yards. I have a feeling that this one has a few features that may refine its ability.

I'm anxious to receive the evaluation from the Sniper Teams that are giving it a workout. I will share it when I receive it.

I have the preliminary instruction manual scanned as a .pdf if anyone is interested in viewing it. Please PM your email address to me and I will forward it on to you for review. This is just a rough word document, but multiple pages of good info of how the unit operates.

This thing looks very impressive for $1500. Exactly what ive been looking for. Any other issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The unit we have was handed off to one of our large local LE SWAT Sniper teams for a field evaluation. These guys have experience with some extremely accurate units from Vectronix and will apply how it works for tactical/field use.

Upon completion of the test, they have agreed to write up a full evaluation.

I used it quite a bit prior to handing it off to them. My concern was being able to lase small targets at distance in an open field. By setting the finder to the Near setting, it lased quite accurate out to 1200 yards. I used a fire hydrant as a target with a wide open space beyond it and then a tree line. The target returned back at 1190 yards and a tree line that came back at 1877. I have a few high end rangefinders that could not detect the hydrant, only the tree line. My one complaint of the unit so far, is that even on the brightest backlight setting, the readout becomes translucent in bright sun and somewhat hard to see, but still visible.

I myself have tried other devices from Laser Tech and was not satisfied past 700 yards. I have a feeling that this one has a few features that may refine its ability.

I'm anxious to receive the evaluation from the Sniper Teams that are giving it a workout. I will share it when I receive it.

I have the preliminary instruction manual scanned as a .pdf if anyone is interested in viewing it. Please PM your email address to me and I will forward it on to you for review. This is just a rough word document, but multiple pages of good info of how the unit operates. </div></div>

any updates ?

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Anybody knows how G7 BR2 determines the wind?</span>

Judging by the manual, no magic - user inputs the wind value. I hoped it would be like DARPA One-Shot - but no such luck.

The beam is huge, you are going to spend a long time tring to pick up a small target with that beast, larger targets will be fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gafferq2xl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm no fan of LT gear. The TruPulse unit I bought from Optics Planet won't range on vehicle size reflective targets beyond 930 yards. The only way I could get beyond that was to use a water tower sized object but still FAR short of the advertised 2000 meters.

Returned the unit along with detailed info to targets lased, time of day, light conditions etc. Got a call from them 2 weeks after the return stating the was no issues with the unit. They even ranged a target @ plus 1100 yds in the rain.

Got it back and it seemed to range a bit farther than before but still not able to range near it's claimed ranged.

Called them up and raised hell with them about it and demanded my money back but they could only pass my frustration on. This time I got someone who seemed genuinely concerned about my issue and they offered to send me a brand new unit to try out. Very gracious of them I must say but, unfortunately it too was sub-standard in it's abilities.

So now I wait to see the outcome of this debacle. I called them today and it is being referred to the higher-ups.

I hope the new BR2 turns out to be a better unit but, I have to agree that the divergence is crazy big. I won't ask to get upgraded to the BR2, I'm going with a Fusion 1600. </div></div>

An update to MY experience with the people and products of Laser Technology Inc;

In short, the TruePluse 200 model will NOT under any conditions range anywhere near the advertised 6560ft/2000m on reflective or 3280/1000m on non-ref. The best the would do when I demanded my money back was give me a credit for the price paid toward another product. Right, like I would want another POS they make. I realize that this is not the BR2 but unless they have done miracles with that unit it won't be worth the price IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glockdan78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thing looks very impressive for $1500. Exactly what ive been looking for. Any other issues?
</div></div>
For another 500.00 you can have the Vectronix PLF05, which a as I understand it is about double the rangefinder.

Agreed. But if the G7 gives you a shoot to solution in MOA out to 1,400 yards and corrects for atmospherics accurately and consistently, i would take it over the PLF05 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Nobody has put the G7 through the ringer yet, that i have found, and done a detailed review. I would love some more info from someone who has one.

Dogtown and I shot a compition feild shoot in New Zealand a while back and found some real interesting things worth taking note of .
Our shoot was to max range 1040 yards or so .I am using a Swaro monocular range finder which I have used to 1900 yards to date and is bloody good I have to say for many situation butttt!!
Flat field work on small targets even at 800 yards my Swaro was returning readings from in front and behind the targets and in turn shots were made that missed , luckily everyone bar one guy with a vector 21 had to suffer this problem .
If your targets are small get the best beam divergence and laser power you can afford or miss -lesson learnt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. But if the G7 gives you a shoot to solution in MOA out to 1,400 yards and corrects for atmospherics accurately and consistently, i would take it over the PLF05 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Nobody has put the G7 through the ringer yet, that i have found, and done a detailed review. I would love some more info from someone who has one. </div></div>

I'd rather just have a LRF that is going to hit the target and range it properly every time.

I have a dope sheet and a kestrel to apply everything else that I know is 100% tied to my rifle.

Those conclusions are based on the assumption that the technology is the same as different rangefinders with the same large beam divergance, according to the guys at Gunwerks its not. Some of the guys that own them on Longrangehunting.com have been hitting ranges on smaller objects out to about 1,000yds. Its supposed to be different than anything that LTI has put out in the past.

I am still waiting on a good range report on the G7 BR2 before I make a decision. I did get a manual for it though and have been going through it in detail.

After a lot of research, I have the following concerns.

1) Beam divergence 2 x 4 (may/may not be an issue)
2) No variable BC for the 5 user defined trajectories
3) Wind inputs in 5mph increments only
4) No option for spin drift or coriolis

The reason these are issues for me is that these variables are definite players > 1000 yards and playing with the ballistics computers shows this can be an issue.

Other than that, extremely cool concept. Perhaps the G7 BR"3" will have these items?

Dude there's a group buy running for the PLRF05's right now that has them only a few hundred more than this thing.......trust me the gunwerks isn't on the same playing field as the vectronix.

beam divergence on the old 8x30 swaroguide was 2x2 mils and the aiming circle is 13 moa, thats roughly an 11 foot circle at 1,000 yards. Yet everybody used to rave about how awesome they were. It worked great in competition. The g7 is a 2x4 beam which would be 6' tall at 1,000 yds. Thats good enough IMO. I don't really see it being that different than the Swaro. Yes it is more expensive but it is cheaper than the terrapin and it compensates for atmospherics. For hunting and competition this would be a good and fast setup.

Does the terrapin do angle compensation? <span style="color: #FF0000">If you want the best beam divergence and the best laser rangefinder for $2,000 i agree that the PLRF05 is the best out there. But for that price i want it to do more than just give me a range to a target. There are other options at that price range that at least give you a rangefinding binocular. Unless you are shooting large bore ELR i think the terrapin is overkill. For comps out to 1,200 yds and long range hunting i think there are better less expensive options out there. I personnally don't need the capabilities to range 3,000yds. Someone who owns a g7 needs to give us a detailed review. Practical, not just speculation on beam divergence.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude there's a group buy running for the PLRF05's right now that has them only a few hundred more than this thing.......trust me the gunwerks isn't on the same playing field as the vectronix. </div></div>

yup .. yup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">beam divergence on the old 8x30 swaroguide was 2x2 mils and the aiming circle is 13 moa, thats roughly an 11 foot circle at 1,000 yards. Yet everybody used to rave about how awesome they were. It worked great in competition. The g7 is a 2x4 beam, i don't really see it being that different than the Swaro. Yes it is more expensive but it is cheaper than the terrapin and it compensates for atmospherics. For hunting and competition this would be a good and fast setup.

Does the terrapin do angle compensation? </div></div>

I'll take the .4 x 2.4 beam on the PLRF05 vs little extras on the gunwerks.

Dope is taped on the side of my gun, so I don't need some calculator on the LRF that probably won't match up to my dope. I think people are greatly over playing the need for that angle compensator.

Its amazing how a much bigger beam can hit everything around the target including the background and give you a shitty range.

The lieca has a rangefinding binocular. The lieca 1200 has a beam divergence of .5x.2.5mil. I think for what you are getting the PLRFO5 is overpriced. I agree about the angle compensation not being a big deal but temperature and baro are. In a timed competition or with limited time to engage an animal those small amounts of time could help. If you pushed one button on your rangefinder to give you moa drop and wind hold that would be much quicker than punching it into a PDA or looking at your taped on chart and figuring out the difference for pressure and temp.

"probably won't match up to my dope"

How do you know it won't. I know it has one bc input and its a G1 at that. But the program may be automatically degrading the bc (like entering multiple g1's). Which would be different than using an average bc.

Again it is all speculation until someone thoroughly tests it and writes up a review.

So for 1500 bucks it will barely beat a Arc1600(if it's lucky)bino that is half the price, or for a little more get the best in a plrf.

Sendero_man thanks for the link. I must have posted my reply right after you because before i typed it your link wasn't there.

1,957 yds in bright sunlight is pretty good. The OP in the 24hr link hadn't validated the ballistic program yet, that will be the deal breaker for me. If it can range 1,229 yds in bright sunlight and give me an accurate solution i'm sold. If it does not i will pobably go with the new Swaro EL-Range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So for 1500 bucks it will barely beat a Arc1600(if it's lucky)bino that is half the price, or for a little more get the best in a plrf. </div></div>

I have both, but the ARC1600 bino I bought is just too hard to see in the daylight. It will find a new home.

Here's what my experience with the g7 is - although it's not a prlf.

Really awesome points:
-The dope has been very close on my .308 matchking and .260 scenar loads - +/- .1 mil.
-When the dope didn't match, it's because my dope card was wrong for the barometic/temperature conditions. Digging through my pouch and finding the right dope card restored order.
-Ranges faster than the swaro my buddy uses, and faster than my ARC1600. Has a nice continuous ranging mode.
-Reticle brightness is adjustable, and the adjustment range is actually good for something. I can see the reticle at night without blooming, and during bright sunlight. My fusion1600 was worthless in bright sunlight, even after taping all sorts of crap on once side to try to 'dim' it into submission as others have. The adjustment range on the ARC, IMHO, is kinda dim to really dim.
-Overall optical quality is good - Looking at strobe illuminated targets at night, 100 yards, the g7 was every bit as clear as the swaro gold standard.

-The needs improvement list:
-Wind/Drop in moa only. I prefer mil.
-Would love to have azimuth in the top bar in the display - it looks like they may have pixels there to do something.
-Only 7x magnification

Overall, it's a good rangefinder, but probably a little steeply priced. It's much better than the fusion, and a bit better than the swaro, at the expense of some magnification. The speed of the ranging and overall timing/user interface are more intuitive and easier to use than the swaro or arc. (As they should be, it's a new design).

All of my ranging has been on generally dark steel plates, 6-12", between 200-1000 yards.

During competition, I have been using my dope card only. I switched the g7 into the 'just give me range mode'.

Hopefully this will help some folks. Just my experience with it. I'm happy, but want a couple tweaks...

Mulehunter

Get me your velocity and BC, and I'll range and report the range, condition, and the drop it gave me. I'm kinda stacked up this week but I will try to get me some numbers if you want.

I've not validated the solution across all weather, I've only used the solution on 3 outings so far, for around 12 different ranges across the 2 loads. Conditions were ~6000DA on these trips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. But if the G7 gives you a shoot to solution in MOA out to 1,400 yards and corrects for atmospherics accurately and consistently, i would take it over the PLF05 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Nobody has put the G7 through the ringer yet, that i have found, and done a detailed review. I would love some more info from someone who has one. </div></div>

Well it does not do MIls as I understand. only MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. But if the G7 gives you a shoot to solution in MOA out to 1,400 yards and corrects for atmospherics accurately and consistently, i would take it over the PLF05 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Well it does not do MIls as I understand. only MOA </div></div>

Correct. I specifically asked them about this (I didn't read the fine print, and assumed it would do either). I believe there may be a model at some point to do the mils.

Should be easy considering they have a CPU, and my wetware is able to do the math...

the G7 does MOA as does the G7 scope. making the two work hand in hand.

I doubt they alter that as they have always been MOA shooters. Personally don't see them adding a Mil option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the G7 does MOA as does the G7 scope. making the two work hand in hand.

I doubt they alter that as they have always been MOA shooters. Personally don't see them adding a Mil option.
</div></div>

What would be neat is if it had a bluetooth on it so that it could be fed real world conditions from a kestral unit. That with a better beam divergence, and be in Mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Anybody knows how G7 BR2 determines the wind?</span>

Judging by the manual, no magic - user inputs the wind value. I hoped it would be like DARPA One-Shot - but no such luck. </div></div>

Correct, you can scroll through wind values percieved by you in 5 mph increments. I didn't find that very useful. I.e. it tells you the dope if the wind is 5/10/15/20/25... You interpolate between those points. Or use a dope card.

Now if it measured the wind along the path of the beam.... Well then, it would be the size of a PC and cost more than my house.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the G7 does MOA as does the G7 scope. making the two work hand in hand.

</div></div>

What would be neat is if it had a bluetooth on it so that it could be fed real world conditions from a kestral unit. That with a better beam divergence, and be in Mils. </div></div>

I've been told a mil version is under consideration.

Also, there are some LTI based units (for surveying) that look very similar and have bluetooth... That would make for some fine integration!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct, you can scroll through wind values percieved by you in 5 mph increments. I didn't find that very useful. I.e. it tells you the dope if the wind is 5/10/15/20/25... You interpolate between those points. Or use a dope card.

Now if it measured the wind along the path of the beam.... Well then, it would be the size of a PC and cost more than my house.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thank you for the offer for the BC and MV. I have a question regarding the dope for drop and wind. Lets say we spot a deer out on the hillside hunting. I laser the deer to give me a shooting solution and it tells me 17 moa. Now does it tell me what to dial or hold in moa per 5mph with that same one touch shot, or do i have to scroll through a seperate menu afterwards to find my wind?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow 2x4mrad beam Divergence is pretty damn big. </div></div>

I don't understand the beam widths on these things. I've seen $20 laser pointers with tighter beams.

I assume all civilian-legal rangefinders are shooting at the 5mW Class III laser limit, so doesn't tightening the beam -- holding all else constant -- translate directly to longer range capabilities?