• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunwerks or Proof Research Long Action

RearView

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2019
With the wife pregnant with our 2nd child, I have about 8 months before I'll be on lock down and all hobbies will be put on hold. I would like to do one big game trophy hunt in 2019 and would also like to invest in a lightweight rifle by Gunwerks or Proof Research. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these manufacturers' rifles (Proof's barrels are common on this forum) and if you would recommend one if money was no object and extreme hiking would be involved. Thanks in advance!

Between the two you presented I'd go with the Gunwerks. I shot in their PRS match earlier this year and they had one of their rifles as a drop gun in 6mm Creedmoor. It was lightweight and shot well considering it was a hunting barrel that saw hundreds of rounds fired pretty much non-stop through it as the day went on. Action felt nice enough.

That said, if I were going to be buying a new rifle for that reason without a budget I'd want to build off a titanium Lone Peak action. Lightweight and those actions feel and operate fantastically.

Between the two you presented I'd go with the Gunwerks. I shot in their PRS match earlier this year and they had one of their rifles as a drop gun in 6mm Creedmoor. It was lightweight and shot well considering it was a hunting barrel that saw hundreds of rounds fired pretty much non-stop through it as the day went on. Action felt nice enough.

That said, if I were going to be buying a new rifle for that reason without a budget I'd want to build off a titanium Lone Peak action. Lightweight and those actions feel and operate fantastically.

ThePretzel, thanks for the reply. Do you remember which model you shot? I spoke to one of their reps and they said their Titanium action is a must.

It looks like the only rifle they offer in 6 Creedmoor that also has a carbon fiber barrel is their Magnus, going off their website (on mobile so I could be wrong).

I just mainly remember that it was a titanium action with a carbon barrel and stock, and I believe the barrel was on the shorter side (maybe 22 inches?).

What is it about those two guns that you like so much?

I mean lightweight guns from those manufacturers.

Last edited:
What is it about those two guns that you like so much?

I mean lightweight guns from those manufacturers.

Proof Research: I read about them a lot on these forums mainly on barrels but I've never read anything on their rifles. A lot of manufacturers are using their barrels as well. I've only read amazing things about them.
Gunwerks: They're using Proof carbon barrels and I like their carbon fiber molded picatinny rail in their stocks. I've only read great things about this manufacturer as well.

I'm open to other suggestions for a turnkey solution since I'm naive to other great manufacturers but I'd love to try out the carbon fiber platforms.

Of the two I would go with Gunwerks and then take a class or two with their lead instructor. (Phillip)
He is a great teacher and a decent shot himself. ;)

Of those 2 I say the proof switch, uses a bighorn action, trigger tech trigger, as well as proof barrel of course, all are top notch components. But it's very expensive, you can build the gun for less.

Reactions: RearView
Of those 2 I say the proof switch, uses a bighorn action, trigger tech trigger, as well as proof barrel of course, all are top notch components. But it's very expensive, you can build the gun for less.
While I'd prefer the Bighorn action to the Gunwerks one for a competition gun, for a lightweight hunting rig it's hard to beat a titanium action for the weight reduction it provides. The TL3 is 28 ounces, whereas a Lone Peak Fuzion TI is 23 and the Razor TI only 20 ounces. Half a pound less on a hunting gun under 10 pounds is a fairly significant difference. The Gunwerks website isn't responding for me to check the weight on their TI action, or else I'd compare the weight of that one.

Reactions: RearView
I just bought a Gunwerks ClymR with the titanium action and proof barrel. Fit and finish is about the best I’ve seen on any rifle plus I really like the ergonomics of the new stock. I’m not sure how it works with proof research rifles but with Gunwerks they also give you the load data then once you confirm the ballistics they burn a turret for you. I went with a Swarovski X5i 3.5-18x50 on top.

I’m loading up a few of their loads and a bunch of other loads to see if I can burn up some of the powder I’ve got here, heading to the range tomorrow.
3A0A3B4F-0CDD-4F36-BA00-603DEE109B7E.jpeg

I just bought a Gunwerks ClymR with the titanium action and proof barrel. Fit and finish is about the best I’ve seen on any rifle plus I really like the ergonomics of the new stock. I’m not sure how it works with proof research rifles but with Gunwerks they also give you the load data then once you confirm the ballistics they burn a turret for you. I went with a Swarovski X5i 3.5-18x50 on top.

I’m loading up a few of their loads and a bunch of other loads to see if I can burn up some of the powder I’ve got here, heading to the range tomorrow. View attachment 7007436
Two things. Thanks for sharing the photo. Looks amazing, I’m curious to see your grouping tomorrow. Is that a savage barrel nut on the barrel?

2nd question is who’s hand is in the photo ? Lol.

This was the drop gun. I think they named it the CoPilot.

AF002C17-7164-4997-AB79-9B71E77562BF.jpeg

Two things. Thanks for sharing the photo. Looks amazing, I’m curious to see your grouping tomorrow. Is that a savage barrel nut on the barrel?

I think they make their own barrel nuts and actions and use proof barrels.

The hand is a gremlin who lives in the island in my house. Lol.

That drop gun looks like it’s sitting in their Verdict stock, nice looking bench gun.

Last edited:
How did you like that revic? It looks like a pretty advanced system. Way too heavy to put on a hunting rifle though, even the X5i is 30oz.

It’s actually very nice, and I think it would work better on a hunting rifle, especially for someone who rarely shoots and isn’t confident in their system.

Just range your target with the LRF, take that number, spin your elevation turret until the number in the scope matches your LRF and boom, done. (Provided the scope is setup with the dope for your system)

First drop gun stage was just 5 rounds on a single distance so the scope didn’t even have to be on, it was already dialed to the distance.

We got to actually use the hud on the 2nd drop gun stage which was using the Gunwerks Verdict in 30 nosler. 3 or 4 yetis (don’t remember off the top of my head). RO gives you the ranges and you just dial on and in the top of the field of view is a small hud with the distance. Simple and easy to use.

Hardest part of the stage with the .30 Nosler was just trying to spot your misses if your wind call was off. The Revic worked nicely, though.

Are you set on a factory rifle? You could build a balls to the wall custom with all the best parts for less than the cost of a Proof rifle.

Leaning towards this route but a future Gunwerks experience soon. They remind me of PXG in the golf world.

So far this is where I’m looking -

Big Horn TL3
Manners Elite Hunter Adjustable Stock
Manners mini chassis
Proof CF barrel
Trigger tech diamond (big horn said it works the best with their system)

On to glass..

Here is a group from today’s range session using the load data given to me from Gunwerks. Pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 3CBF4ACC-9DEA-4A89-B013-7740AA7FE8C7.jpeg
    3CBF4ACC-9DEA-4A89-B013-7740AA7FE8C7.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 33075B74-96E3-4ACD-B108-2798885F435D.jpeg
    33075B74-96E3-4ACD-B108-2798885F435D.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 203
I'd go full custom as well instead, but those gunwerks stocks look pretty nice. I'd like to see one in person and possibly put one on a couple of rifles.

Leaning towards this route but a future Gunwerks experience soon. They remind me of PXG in the golf world.

So far this is where I’m looking -

Big Horn TL3
Manners Elite Hunter Adjustable Stock
Manners mini chassis
Proof CF barrel
Trigger tech diamond (big horn said it works the best with their system)

On to glass..

Damn near exactly what I went with for my 28 Nosler, I went with TT special instead of diamond, it's a hunting gun and I want the trigger around 2.5-3 lbs, and then the non adjustable EH1 w/ mini chassis.
The whole cost of my gun with rings, the AMG, and smith work on barrel blank came out cheaper than the bare Gunwerks rifle with carbon barrel.

I could not be happier with the end result.

28 nosler.jpg

Damn near exactly what I went with for my 28 Nosler, I went with TT special instead of diamond, it's a hunting gun and I want the trigger around 2.5-3 lbs, and then the non adjustable EH1 w/ mini chassis.
The whole cost of my gun with rings, the AMG, and smith work on barrel blank came out cheaper than the bare Gunwerks rifle with carbon barrel.

View attachment 7008688

Nice looking setup!

Reactions: jda2631
Depending on Manners and Big Horn, I’ll have to wait before I post the end results. Thanks for sharing all the insight.

Depending on Manners and Big Horn, I’ll have to wait before I post the end results. Thanks for sharing all the insight.

Check Altus Shooting Solutions (formerly CORE Shooting Solutions), they stock manners and big horn products. They may have what you want in stock so you wouldn't have to wait. Mile High also stocks them. Worth a shot to see if either has what you are looking for. There may be other places too, those are just the 2 I know of.

Reactions: wildperu
Do you mind sharing why you went with the mini chassis? I would think that it would add weight to an all out lightweight rifle.

View attachment 7008688

Do you mind sharing why you went with the mini chassis? I would think that it would add weight to an all out lightweight rifle.

It did add some, how much I have no idea. I wanted a DBM and the mini chassis is easy, no bedding or anything required. Very rigid and accurate platform. That gun as pictured with empty mag, scope, and rings is just under 10lbs so I am very happy with the weight outcome.

Reactions: lr123
Look at the Barrett fieldcraft. Light weight, add the special Talley rings and a light 2-10 scope and you can stay in the 7lb range easy.
It's also affordable at $1500. Save the rest for the hunt.

Look at the Barrett fieldcraft. Light weight, add the special Talley rings and a light 2-10 scope and you can stay in the 7lb range easy.
It's also affordable at $1500. Save the rest for the hunt.
What kind of accuracy are they getting ?

What kind of accuracy are they getting ?

They claim sub-moa. Scroll through the FAQ.
https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/

My Dad has his 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 1\2 moa, it's never seen a factory load though load development was quick and painless. He is using superformance under eld-x and 8208 under accubonds.
He has the 18" barrel and runs a Lane can. Don't think it's ever been shot without the can either.

I carried it for a day, and I'll have one before next season. I picked it up after carrying my 700adl, and couldn't believe how much difference 2 lbs makes after a few hours.

Reactions: deersniper
Talk with Dale at Evolved Ballistics about Proof rifles.

I built a nucleus action, 26" proof carbon prefit, McMillan gamewarden, triggertech, and Mark 5 3-18. Under 10 lbs with brake. Shoots .25 to .5 moa, 180 vld running 2940ish.

Reactions: deersniper
While I'd prefer the Bighorn action to the Gunwerks one for a competition gun, for a lightweight hunting rig it's hard to beat a titanium action for the weight reduction it provides. The TL3 is 28 ounces, whereas a Lone Peak Fuzion TI is 23 and the Razor TI only 20 ounces. Half a pound less on a hunting gun under 10 pounds is a fairly significant difference. The Gunwerks website isn't responding for me to check the weight on their TI action, or else I'd compare the weight of that one.

Check out Evolved Ballistics for the Glacier Ti. Sub 6 lbs and they did load development and shot .17 groups. I've personally seen Evolved Ballistics shoot rifles with their load development. It is everything they say it is. Haven't seen the Glacier though.

For a fraction of the money, though, I will carry a couple extra pounds.

Couple comments and things to consider as I read through the thread. This, coming from an engineer at Gunwerks...

1. The drop gun used in our match was a Co-Pilot variant. Shorty Proof barrel - think it was the spec 16.5”. Manners collapsible stock (not our Verdict). Revic PMR scope. Neat little package - was fun seeing it get abused all day at the match.

2. We don’t use barrel nuts on our builds. Shouldered barrels only, at least for the time being. We are considering a quick-change system for our upcoming Competition Rifle product release, but as of yet, this is undetermined.

3. Our stocks are about to go live for sale as component parts. That means that smiths and consumers alike will be able to spec out and order a stock to fit their action/barrel/bottom metal. It works/looks best as a system with our bottom metal (which will also be available), but we will be inletting for other popular options. If you like the ClymR, Magnus, or new Verdict - you’ll be able to pick them up with a very short lead time. We’re focusing hard on hitting a sub 90 day turn. Keep that in mind if you like the stocks and end up going the “build it myself” route... :)

My Ti Verdict 7 SAUM (as pictured) comes in right at 10 lbs with a 24” Proof barrel and Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18. 10.8 lbs with suppressor. You’ll save pounds with a ClymR over the Verdict with the minimalistic hardware on that guy.

8C2CB572-2043-4D58-8614-03114C032D6F.jpeg

Couple comments and things to consider as I read through the thread. This, coming from an engineer at Gunwerks...

1. The drop gun used in our match was a Co-Pilot variant. Shorty Proof barrel - think it was the spec 16.5”. Manners collapsible stock (not our Verdict). Revic PMR scope. Neat little package - was fun seeing it get abused all day at the match.

2. We don’t use barrel nuts on our builds. Shouldered barrels only, at least for the time being. We are considering a quick-change system for our upcoming Competition Rifle product release, but as of yet, this is undetermined.

3. Our stocks are about to go live for sale as component parts. That means that smiths and consumers alike will be able to spec out and order a stock to fit their action/barrel/bottom metal. It works/looks best as a system with our bottom metal (which will also be available), but we will be inletting for other popular options. If you like the ClymR, Magnus, or new Verdict - you’ll be able to pick them up with a very short lead time. We’re focusing hard on hitting a sub 90 day turn. Keep that in mind if you like the stocks and end up going the “build it myself” route... :)

My Ti Verdict 7 SAUM (as pictured) comes in right at 10 lbs with a 24” Proof barrel and Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18. 10.8 lbs with suppressor. You’ll save pounds with a ClymR over the Verdict with the minimalistic hardware on that guy.

View attachment 7025598
Badass. Thanks for sharing. I love the streamlined picatinny in the front and the dovetail in the middle.

You're making me want to cancel my Manners...

Reactions: reximus

View attachment 7008688
Very similar to mine as well on the right. I started with a GAP Xtreme hunter and changed the stock and action so it just became a base custom. The rifle as pictured is 9.8lbs with no mag. I took it on a horseback hunt in northern BC and my only complaint is the riffle wouldn't fit in the scabbard with the mag so I had to keep it out and in my pack which was frustrating when you had to hop off and grab your gun in a hurry.

I have a 15 day backpack hunt for sheep scheduled and want to build a true light weight pack rifle. Have looked at the Gunwerks Clymr or the Proof Glacier and am curious how much cheaper I can build one for and keep it under 6lbs. Hard to beat either of those two from what I have read though.

Attachments

• IMG_1285.PNG
    IMG_1285.PNG
    4.4 MB · Views: 344
Reactions: jda2631

So you save 8 oz for the ti action? Doesn't seem worth the expense for just a few ounces.

So you save 8 oz for the ti action? Doesn't seem worth the expense for just a few ounces.
The cost of my Ti Razor was worth the 1/2 pound weight savings. I also paid extra for a carbon barrel....and a carbon stock. Just bought a new can to save ~7 oz compared to the can I currently use on that gun. Saving weight gets expensive, and worth is pretty relative.

The cost of my Ti Razor was worth the 1/2 pound weight savings. I also paid extra for a carbon barrel....and a carbon stock. Just bought a new can to save ~7 oz compared to the can I currently use on that gun. Saving weight gets expensive, and worth is pretty relative.

I know about saving weight being expensive, I road raced motorcycles for years. Magnesium or carbon wheels aren't cheap, but light wheels make a huge difference. I probably crap 8 oz each morning. :)