• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gutter installation DIY?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Any members ever install gutters on your home?

Tossing up the idea of doing it myself vs having a company install.

I've watched a few videos online, and installation doesn't seem complex. I have all necessary tools except I am considering buying a rivet gun instead of using screws.
thanks in advance

I had a company install seamless wide gutters and downspouts 10 years ago. Took them about 5 hours looks great. No leaks, no clogging. I can't imagine I'd have saved enough money doing it myself to be worth it.

Not brain surgery but a dedicated pro install would be my suggestion.

VooDoo

Any members ever install gutters on your home?

Tossing up the idea of doing it myself vs having a company install.

I've watched a few videos online, and installation doesn't seem complex. I have all necessary tools except I am considering buying a rivet gun instead of using screws.
thanks in advance
Not done myself, but I do have a buddy who owns a local gutter installation company and gutter guard manufacturing company doing business all over the US and Canada. Those seamless gutter roll forming machines are really neat those guys are in and out in 1 day or less unless it's a massive home. I'd imagine the cost of hiring has gone up a ton in recent years so might very well be worth your while to do it yourself. I've got enough physical ailments to keep me off ladders for good now I'm a hire it out guy!

Where are you in GA? I know a GC in Atlanta building custom homes who might be able to suggest a place to get good pricing on materials if you DIY?

Last edited:
Reactions: rookie7
If you have a good metal building shop in the area they usually have house gutter parts and it's easy to do. Our last house I did them with the metal building house gutter. This was just a run of the mill simple 1500' ranch house, I did all of it by myself in less than a day. My current 2 story house I had them done when we built it and those guys were here and gone in a day, and all the gutters and down spouts are the way they need to be done. I was not willing to do the upper section on a ladder. I priced out the material from the metal building place and it would have saved me $400 if I did it on this house which I would have had a boom lift rental and spent more than that. The metal building shop material was higher quality material than the big box stores carried also.

Sure can't learn to do it, if you don't try. The only thing I have ever paid someone to do is put on a roof. Gutters are not hard.

NOt hard but to get the best looking job, call a pro. I did it myself and when I added everything up it cost more then the estimate.

Ground hard, body tissue soft. Body tissue bruises easily, ground don't feel a thing.

Reactions: Ichi
I do my own, as i am so rural, nobody comes out here. Ive had a few leaks, surprisingly since i used silicone on the seams, but i got them sealed up. A rivet gun is a must compared to a hand riveter. Cordless would be the best.

Its not hard, but there are nuances. Seamless is vastly superior and not very expensive.

Reactions: Maggot
Not trying to be an ass, but if youre asking can you do gutter install, then probably not.
To your point - if you have to preface your statement with "not trying to be an ass" then you probably are - which you are in that statement. However, I never asked the question "can I". I already knew that answer before posting. I just wanted input from members who have done it themselves to identify what one member said in post #11 - "nuances".

I get it though b/c I can be an ass myself.

The seamless gutter guy I have used 2x is not much more expensive than what it would cost me...

$250 for 50 feet installed with 3 down spouts.

He has like 5 or 6 different gutter shapes/sizes and he can basically color match my exterior trim.

Did it myself when we originally built our house, had leaks in the seams. So I had them redone when we had the addition put on.

Local guy charged me $400 to do my garage, 72', including underground drains. Plus he gave me 4 bear steaks and a roast. :cool:

There are some things that you just pay for in the trades. Gutters, insulation and drywall just to name a few.

Reactions: rookie7