• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns guys.... suggestions for MOS optics for Glock 19, please... defensive purpose, rapid action

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
how about thoughts on best optic to put on a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS... for rapid action defensively

Definitely an RMR.... only other option I’d even remotely consider would be a DEltaPoint PRI. But the RMRs seem to fit the slide better.

guys, thanks... I am a Trijicon guy anyway... was looking at the SRO's but you have me convinced

no kidding... did they figure out why it was happening?

no kidding... did they figure out why it was happening?
They tracked it down to how the SRO overhangs the ejection port. On their guns it was causing rounds to hang up on the optic due to the ejection angle.

Trijicon ended up taking them back and swapping them to RMR.

They were going DeltaPoint after the fiasco but Trijicon would only swap and refused to refund. They really wanted the larger field of view.

Trijicon RMR Type 2. The SRO may be great for competition but would not want it on my carry gun - not robust enough.

Yes.
at least they got it solved.... were they using Glock equipment?
Yes... 19 Gen5’s actually.

Thats how I know about it. I’m the local Glock armorer and was the one who got the technical services folks involved.

The department went out and ordered these without talking with any of us and it became our issue to figure out. As soon as we swapped the optic gun ran flawlessly.

I love me some RMR.

Just a random $0.02. Training with it going from concealed to engaging targets in some weather conditions I’ve experienced fogging issues that rendered the RDS and BUIS useless. Just food for thought depending on where you live.

FYI - SRO will cause ejection problems. A local PD here tried them and now they’re having to go back and regroup.

On what pistol? Trijicon SROs are the most popular sight in USPSA carry optics and no one has any problem with them with regards to ejection including the many using them on G34s and G17s

We collectively (USPSA shooters) go through more ammo in a weekend than most police departments go through in a year. I don't consider police departments to be subject matter experts on firearms, with the exception of the FBI and possibly one or two more departments nationwide.

Oh look, a Glock with an SRO and it's not choking

I love me some RMR.

Just a random $0.02. Training with it going from concealed to engaging targets in some weather conditions I’ve experienced fogging issues that rendered the RDS and BUIS useless. Just food for thought depending on where you live.
now that is an interesting piece of information... are you on the coast, or in a humid river valley?

On what pistol? Trijicon SROs are the most popular sight in USPSA carry optics and no one has any problem with them with regards to ejection including the many using them on G34s and G17s

We collectively (USPSA shooters) go through more ammo in a weekend than most police departments go through in a year. I don't consider police departments to be subject matter experts on firearms, with the exception of the FBI and possibly one or two more departments nationwide.

Oh look, a Glock with an SRO and it's not choking

These were all new G19 Gen5 MOS fresh out of the box and every one of them had exactly the same issue with a SRO. Guns ran fine with irons. Once they added the SROs they started having ejection and jamming issues immediately. Tested them with RMR's and my personal DeltaPoint and they ran fine as well. The SRO was somehow interfering with the ejection process.

We even looked at ammo and they were using Federal HST 124g +P which isn't a slouch. We even tested trying Speer without any difference. The guy who came out from Trijicon was confused as we were but it was consistent and reproducible. That optic on those guns was a no-go.

Trijicon ended up replacing all of them with RMR's and they've had zero issues since. This all happened right before COVID crazy started.

now that is an interesting piece of information... are you on the coast, or in a humid river valley?

I’m on the west coast;)

Happens worst when it’s cold and humid, say below 50 or so.

A consideration to account for is open or closed emission of the dot. Open emitters like the RMR can have the dot blocked by snow, mud, dirt, lint. Closed emitters like the ACRO don’t suffer that issue but pay for it with larger physical size.

I’ve seen SRO’s in use frequently on glocks. I might wager to say that the ejection pattern of the +P rounds might make them eject differently enough that they are moving in the right way to jam with that optic. If the SRO didn’t typically run on glocks the whole red dot world would know it. But most people don’t shoot a lot of defensive ammo.

how about thoughts on best optic to put on a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS... for rapid action defensively

The Trijicon RMR, Delta Point Pro and Holosun 407c/507c/508 would be about the only optics I would consider. The DPP sat too high for my tastes. I went with the RMR over a year ago and haven't looked back.

I have two. RMR06 on my 509t and RMR07 on my Glock 19. I prefer the 6.5 MOA dot for close range defensive situations. The 509t with the 3.25 MOA is a tad smaller for more precise shots. There really isn't a huge difference in size though.

2 weekends ago, I helped a buddy set up his 407c on a Springfield XD Elite. I was really impressed with it. Half the price of an RMR and good warranty.

Some advice I took early on, was to not skimp on the optic. Same can be said with rifles.

Last edited:
Who does the "rating"?
Trijicon... they specifically state in their literature that the SRO is for target and competitive shooting applications only. For duty And professional applications the RMR is their offering.

Our local PD got that lecture direct from their field rep. The SROs aren’t engineered to the same drop standard and are more prone to cracking when dropped. The ears of the RMR send the drop into the frame instead of the lens itself.

Last edited:
Rmr would be my first choice. I would 100% go with holosun 507 or 508 over either the dpp or sro. They are more durable and whole I generally avoid Chinese optics the holosuns are proven St e this point

Check out Sage dynamics on YouTube or his white paper on handgun mounted rds. He has reviewed and put many rounds on all of them and rates holosun above everything but rmr and acro(I think, but battery life sucks)

Why is the idea of spending money with Chinese companies still on the table for discussion?

I don't get that at all, unless they are the absolute only choice. Which in this case they are far from it.

I just bought an FNX 45 with an SRO. I did notice that it could possibly interfere with ejection. But Ill have to wait a few weeks to get back to dry land to try it

These were all new G19 Gen5 MOS fresh out of the box and every one of them had exactly the same issue with a SRO. Guns ran fine with irons. Once they added the SROs they started having ejection and jamming issues immediately. Tested them with RMR's and my personal DeltaPoint and they ran fine as well. The SRO was somehow interfering with the ejection process.

We even looked at ammo and they were using Federal HST 124g +P which isn't a slouch. We even tested trying Speer without any difference. The guy who came out from Trijicon was confused as we were but it was consistent and reproducible. That optic on those guns was a no-go.

Trijicon ended up replacing all of them with RMR's and they've had zero issues since. This all happened right before COVID crazy started.

The video I posted is a guy running a 34 MOS Gen 5. I don't know if slide length or recoil spring differences account for why his runs and the 19s you saw didn't.

The video I posted is a guy running a 34 MOS Gen 5. I don't know if slide length or recoil spring differences account for why his runs and the 19s you saw didn't.
Have no idea.... The G19 MOS Gen5 and the G34 MOS Gen 5 share numerous parts (including extractor and recoil spring assy). Only thing that may be different is the ejectors. Glock loves to do running changes with those under the same part number. The only way you really know if that happened is to swap the trigger housing assembly and see if the ejection pattern changes. Since the guns worked in their stock configuration we didn't go down that rabbit hole.

The +P ammo may have had something to do with it. Since they're only allowed to use the HSTs or Speer due to local guidelines those were all we tested with.

They'd jam or stovepipe like every 2-3 rounds.

Why is the idea of spending money with Chinese companies still on the table for discussion?

Probably because Holoson 407 $229, basic RMR type 2 $469. They work very well, ( the 507 works better for me than any RMR did- better, sharper reticle, clearer glass), and the $200+difference isn't chump change for a lot of people ?

Probably because Holoson 407 $229, basic RMR type 2 $469. They work very well, ( the 507 works better for me than any RMR did- better, sharper reticle, clearer glass), and the $200+difference isn't chump change for a lot of people ?
I guess if the ever worsening spiral of self destruction caused by ‘its cheaper’ is good justification. It won’t matter what’s cheaper when our economy is fucked because ‘it’s cheaper’ became ‘we can’t make it here now’.

Also I can buy brand new RMR’s for $280 or $380 depending on the model.

Reactions: 308pirate
You'll shoot $200 worth of ammo in a month or three. Optics are the cheap part of this equation. Training and getting proficient with your firearm is much more expensive.

RMR T2 in either 3.25 or 1 moa. I'll be playing around with the 1 MOA soonish as I wanted something a hair smaller when I was running my 3.25 version.

RMR RM07 6.5 MOA for the win.

Do some actual dynamic shooting (USPSA will do) and let me know how the tiny dots go for you.

Do you not find it distracting when doing dot or longer distance shooting?

Do you not find it distracting when doing dot or longer distance shooting?

Absolutely not

Last week I setup a USPSA target at 50 yards and shot 11 rounds at it with my 6.5 MOA RMR on a P-09. 2 alphas, 4 charlies, 1 delta, 4 mikes. All of them due to my trigger manipulation.

I've cleaned dot torture at 5 yards with that same P-09 as well.

A 6.5 MOA dot covers 3 1/4" at 50 yards. At 5 yards it covers just under 3/8". The dot torture circles are 2" or 2.5", can't exactly remember.

Reactions: Kamerad
@PBWalsh

P-09 dot torture 5-28-20.jpg

Reactions: PBWalsh