• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

guys.... which are the best plate carrier vests?

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
picking some up for the family.... what do you suggest?

Best, I would go with crye, they make great carriers and get the ceramic plates.

You will drop some coin for sure but I think they are the best.

Best, I would go with crye, they make great carriers and get the ceramic plates.

You will drop some coin for sure but I think they are the best.
thanks Doc... how are you feeling? after our conversation the other day you stunned me with the hospital stay...

what do you know about "shotstop" plates? been recommended to me as better than ceramic and lighter, won't break down on taking a round

There are some good threads here, do a search...

here's one of the threads.

If you can get the people that have worn them for a living to chime in, they'll give it to you straight. @TheGerman @clcustom1911

Last edited:
Reactions: plong
kinda digging the idea of a full body version of this
1593803135095.png
but out of ar 500 1/2 inch or better 500lbs of heavy metal baby ....
hell bent for steal plate screw leather

What size plates?.... Not all carriers fit all size plates

You need to determine what threat you are likely going to encounter, and how much you are reasonably wanting to spend.

Personally I'm running lvl 3 uhmwpe plates.....they offer less protection, but the benefit is lighter weight.....I'm happy to make that trade because my main concern is ricochet from shoot houses and steel targets.

If I was expecting to take direct fire, idea want lvl 4

What size plates?.... Not all carriers fit all size plates

You need to determine what threat you are likely going to encounter, and how much you are reasonably wanting to spend.

Personally I'm running lvl 3 uhmwpe plates.....they offer less protection, but the benefit is lighter weight.....I'm happy to make that trade because my main concern is ricochet from shoot houses and steel targets.

If I was expecting to take direct fire, idea want lvl 4

do you know anything about an outfit called "ShotStop"... plates

Never dealt with shot stop plates. However ceramic plates will hold up to multiple hits. seen it in real life with some patients of mine. However if you a civilian are taking multiple hits in your plates something g went truly wrong or you are doing it wrong.

Doc

I had another seizure last night, week to the day of my other one. They still dont know what's going on. The now have me on anti-seizure meds for now.

Never dealt with shot stop plates. However ceramic plates will hold up to multiple hits. seen it in real life with some patients of mine. However if you a civilian are taking multiple hits in your plates something g went truly wrong or you are doing it wrong.

Doc

I had another seizure last night, week to the day of my other one. They still dont know what's going on. The now have me on anti-seizure meds for now.
uggghhh.. I feel for you... I guess the attending is saying no MaCallan 25 then... I will take 2 fingers for ya... get well fast, bud

If you're not looking to spend the money on the stuff that is designed around everyday use, look at ar500. They have kits with a carrier and plates so you know it all works together. Not super cheap, but cheaper and still useful if it's going in your shtf kit.

Everyday wear, a properly fit vest is key. Find a local store that knows how to fit you and it'll be comfy.

First Spear or Crye.

This!!! Crye JPC is hard to beat and can be found for less than $200 sometimes. I’d start there. The JPC is simplistic and allows more movement in some ways. For the money, there isn’t anything better out there. Almost forgot, but your plates first!!!! Make sure you measure and size correctly. Then buy the carrier for the plates. For example, medium plates then get a medium carrier and so on. You can mix and match to some degree but I do not recommend it. And no it has nothing to do with your shirt size.

I actually PMd TheGerman about this last week. I'd planned on using a LBT-6094 PC and he pointed me towards Tactical Scorpion plates.

So, when it comes to plate carriers and assorted armor, like everything else it depends on how much money you wanna drop.

I personally own plate carriers from First Spear, Protective Products, and Condor (🤣😂). I have used carriers from Crye, 5.11, Point Blank, and Velocity in my assorted professions.

As far as fit and durability, Crye, First Spear, and Velocity are my favorites.

Armor, well, I personally have Paraclete standalone level III plates in my FirstSpear Strandhog carrier. They are ultra high molecular weight polyethylene plates. They're awesome and light. The carrier with front/back/side plates weighs a shade under 10 pounds not including ammo, etc.

Reactions: DIBBS
There are some good threads here, do a search...

here's one of the threads.

If you can get the people that have worn them for a living to chime in, they'll give it to you straight. @TheGerman @clcustom1911
tenor (42).gif

So, when it comes to plate carriers and assorted armor, like everything else it depends on how much money you wanna drop.

I personally own plate carriers from First Spear, Protective Products, and Condor (🤣😂). I have used carriers from Crye, 5.11, Point Blank, and Velocity in my assorted professions.

As far as fit and durability, Crye, First Spear, and Velocity are my favorites.

Armor, well, I personally have Paraclete standalone level III plates in my FirstSpear Strandhog carrier. They are ultra high molecular weight polyethylene plates. They're awesome and light. The carrier with front/back/side plates weighs a shade under 10 pounds not including ammo, etc.

Until someone shoots at you with M855 or M855A1. Like you know, one of the most common rounds on the planet :p

I've been kicking the idea of these around; https://www.verrettstactical.com/products/hesco-level-iv-4800-multi-curve

Reactions: clcustom1911
The jumpable plate carriers allow better rifle 8n pocket placement , commonly known as JPC . John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society does a vid on youtube about the veritas IIRC plate carrier . If you're outfitting your family read reviews about size and fitment . In order to get something to fit my son I had to go Condor .
I would strongly suggest dry firing / up drills and walking around for hours in the rig you get . You will need to get used to the weight and slight compression feeling of a plate carrier as well as finding your shoulder pocket . Some get proper fitment , some cant their stock to fit the plate ca=ier and some plant the stock tight to their chest . Get proper fitment . You will also need a trauma pad . Even if your rig stops a round and captures the spall the blunt force trauma may kill you or at least render you combat inaffective for what could be the rest of your life ( read as the time needed to defend yourself ) . If you're that serious that you're going to get a plate carrier for you and loved ones thentake a stop the bleed or combat trauma course . If you really think getting shot is a possibility then you need the ability to plug holes ie torniquette and packing gauze . Maybe even Celox clotting gauze .
What you're looking for is one piece of the pie . Dont sell yourself short . Get the whole pie .

Get 'em while you can. I just ordered these after pre-ordering the 4000 series single curve.

$1145.20 shipped for two SAPI medium.