• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H&K G36 vs SIG/SAN Swiss Arms SG 550/551/etc

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
For those who've any experience at all with em, whats yall's impression on the G36K/G36C/etc platforms vs SIG/Swiss Arms SG 550/551/552/553 platforms? Ie which ones more accurate, more reliable, higher quality, more robust/durable, lower recoil, etc?

Just going off the Swiss tradition of marksmanship/competition and history of producing some of the most accurate service rifles in the world, along with putting out some of the best bolt action target rifles in the world to this very day(eg: Bleiker, Grunig & Elmiger, etc); I'd have to think the SG550 series is a little bit above the G36 platform in precision, quality, fit and finish..?

Any thoughts/experience? What sayeth the 'hide?

ETA: G36 clones built from SL8's, etc are basically what Im asking about here, being that America dont get the real deal. But European members with experience with them, please do chime in!

Would love to see what a SL8-2 DMR is capable of..

Last edited:
I've shot both many years ago (dealer samples), and the Sig 550 series is going to be slightly more accurate than the base G36 because how the barrel is set up relative to the trunion/receiver. The G36 is a completely different animal and was meant to be a light weight assault rifle, not a DMR. As far as durability is concerned, both are very well made and durable weapons for what they are. They lack the ergonomics and refinement of the AR-15 though IMHO. I would take a mil spec AR-15/M4 clone any day over the 550/G36. Again, as far as "fit and finish" are concerned, the PE90 is a different beast compared to the G36. The PE 90 uses all steel construction, machined parts and is much heavier. The G36 is mostly polymer with steel parts where needed on the inside. Completely different philosophies. I can't say one is superior to the other. They are different animals altogether for different tasks. I own two HK USCs, which are built similar to the G36 in principle (polymer shell, steel where needed on the inside). If you appreciate 1990s H&K weapons, especially the USP pistols, you'll appreciate the UMP/USC .45 carbines/SMGs in terms of design. Very stout, durable weapons.

https://www.sanswissarms.com/news.html

JDI is importing 553's into the country. I have a friend who loves his (bought several in fact), but I do not have trigger time behind any 552/553. I would ask around on M4carbine.net for more opinions, details. https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Other-Semi-Automatic-Rifles

I can't speak to the SL8's accuracy (which was the sporter version of the G36 imported by HK). To be frank though, a SPR (Mk 12) clone will top both of those rifles in accuracy easily. It's why I never purchased one, and it costs a ton of money to convert to G36 specs. Tom Bostic almost convinced me to buy one of his clones, but I have enough 5.56 rifles (ARs) the way it is and very little time to shoot.

Tom is a great guy by the way. He did both of my UMP conversions. I highly recommend him.

• Love
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
I've shot both many years ago (dealer samples), and the Sig 550 series is going to be slightly more accurate than the base G36 because how the barrel is set up relative to the trunion/receiver. The G36 is a completely different animal and was meant to be a light weight assault rifle, not a DMR. As far as durability is concerned, both are very well made and durable weapons for what they are. They lack the ergonomics and refinement of the AR-15 though IMHO. I would take a mil spec AR-15/M4 clone any day over the 550/G36. Again, as far as "fit and finish" are concerned, the PE90 is a different beast compared to the G36. The PE 90 uses all steel construction, machined parts and is much heavier. The G36 is mostly polymer with steel parts where needed on the inside. Completely different philosophies. I can't say one is superior to the other. They are different animals altogether for different tasks. I own two HK USCs, which are built similar to the G36 in principle (polymer shell, steel where needed on the inside). If you appreciate 1990s H&K weapons, especially the USP pistols, you'll appreciate the UMP/USC .45 carbines/SMGs in terms of design. Very stout, durable weapons.

https://www.sanswissarms.com/news.html

JDI is importing 553's into the country. I have a friend who loves his (bought several in fact), but I do not have trigger time behind any 552/553. I would ask around on M4carbine.net for more opinions, details. https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Other-Semi-Automatic-Rifles

I can't speak to the SL8's accuracy (which was the sporter version of the G36 imported by HK). To be frank though, a SPR (Mk 12) clone will top both of those rifles in accuracy easily. It's why I never purchased one, and it costs a ton of money to convert to G36 specs. Tom Bostic almost convinced me to buy one of his clones, but I have enough 5.56 rifles (ARs) the way it is and very little time to shoot.

Tom is a great guy by the way. He did both of my UMP conversions. I highly recommend him.
His XM8’s are very cool.