• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H&K SL-8 Mag Conv. to take AR mags

BrokenSailor

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2011
NorthEast
www.esoutfitter.com
I bought an H&K SL-8. Beautiful piece of work. Blows away an AR IMO. This conversion will allow me to use Pre-ban 20-30 rd AR mags in my HK (NY'er). The part costs $240 and is made of Plastic! I thought it was made from metal when I bought it. I had to get on a list for 6 months waiting for the item. Anyone have any experience with this conversion?

I purchased the conversion kit from http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/AR15-Mag-Well-Adapter-for-HK-SL8-182p800.htm

US Made AR15 & M16 Magazine Well Adapter.

Allows the use of AR15 & M16 magazine on your SL8/G36 conversion. This unit will replace the G36 magwell and allow the use of AR15 magazines in your SL8 high capacity conversion. A great upgrade for those that want to use easy to find AR/M16 mags. Please note: That this magwell adapter can be used on factory G36 variants but the extra tab will have to be machined off to fit the G36 receiver properly.

Re: H&K SL-8 Mag Conv. to take AR mags

I did one years ago. The first ones were metal.
You have to modify the receiver (voiding your warranty) by having someone machine it, or dremel tool it.

You also have to install enough US made parts to comply with the law.

The conversion works pretty well, but it may be magazine sensitive.

Just make sure it is really worth it to you. If you do the whole G36 conversion you will spend thousands for a very cool looking rifle, but it may not work as well as it does now.

Make sure to read everything you can about this conversion on the HK boards.

Go slow.

Reactions: Cbrjohnny1

Congrats on an outstanding rifle purchase, I have one as well, in order to complete your transformation to accept AR-15 magazines you will also need to purchase a G-36 bolt head, the Sl-8 bolt head is missing the extra lug needed to strip a round from a double stack magazine. Keep in mind that you also must have a total of 10 US made parts in your rifle to be legal, ie, flash suppressor,bolt head,buttstock,etc. just ensure your count is at least 10 and you will avoid drama from the ATF later on.

Adam at HK parts sells a match trigger for the rifle as well, definitely worth the extra coin to make this baby shoot to its potential.

I don't really care to bring it all the way to a G-36 clone. I just wanted the ability to use AR mags on a 5.56 platform. On the SL-8 there is no Dremel work necessary to install my conversion, per the instructions. To install it in a G-36 there is a need to do some cutting. They seem to have several models now, depending on your application.

Kind of expensive for a piece of plastic. I could understand the price if it was metal.

Getting back to the bolt change. AR mags are double stack as opposed to SL-8 mags? Hence the need for the bolt change?

As far as the 922r parts issue. Why do I have to put in US parts, if all I am doing is the magwell conversion? I am getting a bit of a brain cramp here... Thanks much guys.

You must include Ten US made parts in your converted rifle to satisfy ATF requirements. You see the only way that HK could import the SL8-6 into the USA was to preclude it from accepting 30 round magazines, and under the assault weapons ban of 1989, ten US made parts must be used when converting a imported firearm that has been modified by it's manufacturer to meet the Sporting Purpose Test. The G-36 does not meet this definition as determined by our worthless ATF regulators.
I do not know myself why a loophole in the law exists like this, but hey if by replacing 10 US parts in an otherwise unimportable configued rifle makes it legal to own I am all for it. Hope this answers your question. Also be advised that any unauthorized alteration to any HK firearm will void the lifetime warranty in it's entirety as the last poster stated. Before cutting the reciever you may want to look up alternatives like single stack 20 round mags from surefire etc. Lastly if we look at the current value of HK model 91 rifles that were sold prior to 1989 for avarage 800 dollars are now fetching 2500.00 I am hard pressed to alter my rifle as it is a potential investment should the assault weapons ban be reinstated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrokenSailor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as the 922r parts issue. Why do I have to put in US parts, if all I am doing is the magwell conversion? I am getting a bit of a brain cramp here... Thanks much guys.</div></div>

Bush banned the importation of assault rifles. Converting the magwell to readily accept magazines that hold more than 10 rounds changes your SL-8 from an imported sporting rifle to an imported assault rifle. If you replace enough of the right parts with US-made parts, it is considered a domestic assault rifle. This is the entire reason why there are so many US-made SL-8 parts available.

Also, and I could be wrong about this, but I thought the SL-8 is missing a lug on the bolt that is required to reliably strip rounds from a double-stack magazine. (The missing lug does not affect the ability to use the standard single-stack magazine.) So even from a functionality perspective I think you would have to change the bolt too. This may be outdated information though; I haven't looked into this in a long time.

thanks for the tip, look like a good deal, but they are double stack so the reciever still would have to be cut and bolt replaced in order to be functional.

OK. I understand the 9.22r rule. I just did not understand why it would apply to this conversion. I have one of the newer black SL-8s. I live in NY. The reason I wanted to convert to use AR mags was so that I could use 20 round AR pre-ban mags. The new 30 round G-36 mags don't help me as they are not pre-ban. I already have a number of AR mags. I also understand that the SL-8 mags suck.

Anybody got a parts count for the SL-8 conversion? (e.g.) what are the options to change on this weapon to get to ten and where to get them?

I would like to get rid of the handle for a flat rail for better optics? how?

If I change the stock to a pistol grip, I cannot put a flash hider on it, but, a compensator is OK.

The stock would count as 1
The bolt would count as 1
The trigger would count as 1
The magazine 1
The magazine floor plate 1

Any help is appreciated.

Found this around, so it answers my questions and yours...

The Heckler & Koch SL8 is a sporting rifle manufactured by Heckler & Koch. It is the civilian version of the Heckler & Koch G36.
The rifle fires the .223 Remington or 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge and feeds from a 10, 20 or 30 round detachable magazine (depending on the variant of the rifle). Unlike earlier types of HK rifles, it is not a roller lock bolt but rather a lug type rotating bolt system as seen on the AR-18. The SL8 was originally developed for the German Bundeswehr, to provide a weapon for training reservists similar to the G36 and able to be provided to reserve organizations not able to provide military grade armaments.
Design
To adapt the SL8 for the civilian market, the pistol grip and folding stock of the G36 have been replaced by a fixed stock with a thumbhole, and the receiver has been modified to prevent attachment of the G36 folding stock. In addition, to comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (as presently construed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms or ATF) SL8 rifles exported to the United States have been modified so that they will not accept staggered, normal-capacity 20 and 30 round G36 magazines. U.S. SL8 rifles accept only a single-column, 10-round magazine. Other modifications have been made to the SL8 including a lightened trigger pull, adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate to customize the fit to the user, and a heavier, more accurate barrel. The SL8 does not come with the carry handle and built in optics of the G36, although these can be purchased aftermarket and fitted to the weapon.
Many parts from the G36 series can be fitted to the SL8, but the pistol grip and folding stock cannot be used without modification. At least one U.S. company [Black Market Parts] has manufactured a folding stock that will fit the SL8, and another U.S. company manufactures a specialized mounting block that allows the attachment of the original G36 folding stock.
Many American SL8 owners have modified their SL8's to accept normal-capacity magazines and/or to resemble the G36 by incorporating a pistol grip and folding stock. American SL8's will not accept high-capacity magazines unless the single-lug SL8 bolt head is replaced with a double-lug G36 bolt head, the magazine well is replaced, and the receiver is modified to permit insertion of a wider magazine body. However, such modifications to SL8 rifles (or indeed to any imported rifles) have significant implications under the 1968 Gun Control Act, which prohibits (inter alia) the assembly from imported parts of rifles that could not themselves be imported. Persons contemplating such modifications should consult the Firearms Technology Branch of BATF, located in Martinsburg, West Virginia.
As of July 28th,2010 the SL8 has been discontinued

What is required to accomplish this conversion is to:
replace enough parts of the rifle with US MADE components to comply with current laws
so that the weapon can be considered a DOMESTIC (US MADE) rifle rather than an IMPORTED rifle.
There is NO law restricting the magazine capacity of US MADE WEAPONS
There ARE laws restricting the capacity of NEWLY MANUFACTURED (Imported AND US MADE) MAGAZINES .
There ARE laws restricting the magazine capacity of NEWLY IMPORTED WEAPONS.

THIS is how you are able to assemble a G3 clone that uses Legal (pre-ban) Hi-Capacity G3 magazines today and be allowed to add a Pistol Grip/Buttstock rather than a thumbhole stock.
This is ALSO how a POST BAN Springfield Armory SAR-08 that was originally IMPORTED from GREECE is allowed to be made to use a Pistol Grip/Buttstock and ALSO use Legal (pre-ban) Hi-Cap G3 mags.
This is ALSO the reason you are allowed to build a POST BAN AR15 that uses LEGAL (pre-ban) Hi-Cap AR15 mags.
This is ALSO how the POST BAN AK receivers that were originally imported to accept only TEN round magazines can be adapted to accept Legal (pre-ban) HI CAP AK mags.

What components (relative to "Parts Rule") are replaced with US MADE parts ?
The Bolt (designed for a double stacked AR15 magazine,)
The Gas Piston (for IMPORTED parts rule)
The Magazine (for IMPORTED parts rule)
Mag Body
Mag Follower
Mag Floor Plate
What parts are "left" on the gun that contribute to the IMPORTED Parts Rule?
Parts Rule Actual Parts Used
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings
or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings (will be replaced with next project)
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears (unsure.. will assume "yes")
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Bolt carriers
(4) Trigger housings (will be replaced with next project)
(5) Triggers
(6) Hammers
(7) Sears
(8) Operating rods
(9)Buttstock (insert)
(10) Forearms, handguards
Are any other modifications made to the gun?
The recessed (non-critical, no stress) area of the receiver is removed to allow clearance for the wider magazine.
This can be performed with a milling machine or Dremel tool.
Can I do this myself?
Yes.. it is a simple cut and instructions are included with

Has anyone had any work done by Homeland and Defense Corp with regards to HK SL8 G36 conversion, in-letting, barrel threading, etc.? Looking for refs. Otherwise I am rebuilding the trigger group, gas piston, op rod replacement, and a hammer replacement for my five parts. I don't wan to have to have a US AR-15 mag in the weapon to meet the 922 requirements. I would like a Vortex Flash Suppressor on the SL8. I am keeping the stock. It is a newer version SL8-6.

Ed is about the best when it comes to SL8 work.

Tom Bostic did my conversion. I picked up the finished rifle while home on leave but havent shot it yet. I did the AR magazine conversion and added the US made Vortex flash hider as well as the bolt, piston, and trigger for compliance. Every detail down to the lazer engraving on the receiver looks perfect. Very Pleased. Tom was great work with. We did the whole transaction via email while I was in Iraq. You can find him on HKPro.com. CJ

Thanks for that link. I had already consumed that info. I would like to perform all the work on the rifle myself. I do not want to change the stock. I like the SL8 stock. The only thing it does not seem I can do is to thread the barrel for a flash suppressor.

I am either going to have to buy a lathe or have someone like Tom do it for me. Let me know how I can contact him and see if he can do the work for me. The flash suppressor is going to be one of my US Parts after I make the conversion.

Tbostic on HKPro.com. He is on the reference thread I sent. Good luck with it. CJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrokenSailor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found this site that sells Dies and such to cut your own barrels. I will need a 15x1 RH thread on my SL8 for the Vortex on and HK. Check out the site at Precise Innovations Precise Innovations </div></div>

Do yourself a favor and talk to a competent smith before you go taking a die to your barrel and threading the muzzle.

I have had Mr. Bostic do several of my conversions on sl-8's to g-36 spec's.I went with the g36 mags,and highly recommend his work. he has several versions of the conversions and I love them all. They are very accurate,reliable and have been dependable to date, just finally finish my c with a can,it's a blast to shoot.

IMO Sl8's which I have had are just money pits. You pay so much just to have a rifle that does the same or less than almost any other 5.56 platform out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrokenSailor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found this site that sells Dies and such to cut your own barrels. I will need a 15x1 RH thread on my SL8 for the Vortex on and HK. Check out the site at Precise Innovations Precise Innovations </div></div>

Noooooo, no, no!!! Your first time threading something shouldn't be your rifle's barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Das_Shiffty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO Sl8's which I have had are just money pits. You pay so much just to have a rifle that does the same or less than almost any other 5.56 platform out there. </div></div>

Yeah but when you already have half a dozen AR-15s, it's nice to have something new. Also, you get a lot of talk at the range because you're not a JAAFS (Just Another AR Shooter).

Back in the day, the local rifle league was pretty interesting. HKs, AKs, SKS, AR-15, AUGs, AR-180s, Bushmaster bullpups, Rugers, FALs, FNCs, UZIs, etc. Now everybody shoots an AR-15.

Relax, I have threaded things before. Just nothing so important. Just wondering if anyone has done it before, not if your a scaredy cat! Some guys don't like sending out their stuff to be done. Some guys become the guys that do it. I do fabulous work on M14s and Glocks. I am expanding.

I have a couple projects...an AK rebuild, a Remington 7600 trigger job, A Winchester 100 rebuild tuning job, Another M14 heavy barrel Bull-pup, and Remington 700 trigger job, and a couple M14 GI trigger group jobs. That's my short list. Oh yeah, and I just got an L1A1 Sporter.... I have a lot of glass to mount too. Some new NV and IR gear... This HK SL8 is just another project in the works, and currently on the bench. I found it for $1700 in New York, which is a god send.

I have to run down the parts before the work can even begin. Believe me. The tools I have for trigger mods and such aren't cheap. If I can't thread this barrel simply, I might have a gunsmith lathe in my basement for Christmas to get the job done. Any guys with balls around here that do their own work <smiley face here>, please step in an take up the slack.... I am really looking for honest help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Das_Shiffty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO Sl8's which I have had are just money pits. You pay so much just to have a rifle that does the same or less than almost any other 5.56 platform out there. </div></div>

+1

That was my experience, and I was a huge HK fanboy at the time.
The SL8 I had would never group under an inch, though it has a really nice operating system. To each his own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Das_Shiffty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO Sl8's which I have had are just money pits. You pay so much just to have a rifle that does the same or less than almost any other 5.56 platform out there. </div></div>

+1

That was my experience, and I was a huge HK fanboy at the time.
The SL8 I had would never group under an inch, though it has a really nice operating system. To each his own. </div></div>

+1 I'm still a huge HK fan. Bought a HK-91 in 1983 that I still have along with 3 handguns (My MK23 is the shit). Bought the SL8 because it was a great deal. It didnt shoot that well (my HCS MK12 spoiled me) and was ugly so I had it chopped to a G36K. I like it better now but don't expect any change in accuracy. I put an EOTech on it and will keep it as a home defense rig once I convince myself its reliable. It looks bad ass anyway. CJ

Huge SL-8 fan. Helped by the fact European SL-8's are cheaper and better than they are in the US. (although often it's the other way around)

With my current level of skill I've shot a near MOA group at 100m using steel cased ammo. Not consistently however, I have a hard time controlling my heartbeat and my eyes aren't great so the 3x G36 sight without adjustments is less than ideal with or without glasses (but looks pretty cool) and I think I could do better if I put a decent scope on it, but that kind of feels like cheating.
Yeah, I'm weird like that but it's good enough to hold minute-of-head at 100m and minute-of-man much further out.

For those interested I shoot Barnaul 62grain. I think this is marketed as Brown Bear in the US.

Its irritating that HK won't make some of their guns here, and sell semi auto MP5s and G36's. They's make a killing

I have been working on a complete upgrade package for G36 for some while now.
New toprail, cheekpiece, ambidextreus magwell with working boltstop for M16 mags and some other goodies.
We are have currently making the zero batch, and will soon start production.

Here is the magwell made in a rapid prototype machine.
That was just in the beginning phase, they will be molded instead.

162768_10150150943349408_680984407_8364269_982582_n.jpg

You can see more in our cataloge here.
Spuhr Catalog

Please let me know what you think about it

Regards Håkan

It looks very bulky compared to the mag. This is mainly why I currently would rather buy the expensive G36 mags, which are more bulky themselves so it looks better. The mag release also looks sort of bulky.

More importantly, does it work properly? How much wiggle room? Will it have a beveled opening?

I checked out your other products and they look cool. You might want to send me that G36 rail and that sweet 7 mil scope mount for uh... for testing. Yeah, testing... that's it.
whistle.gif

The reason why so many wants to get a new magwell for M16 mags are that the G36 mags are very bulky, and the hooks on the side make it to stick to the magpouches.
One magpouch that held 3ea m16 mags holds 2 ea G36 mags.

The Magrelease are in a size so it's easy to find it, but still protected against accidental use.

We have fired and fieldtested the magwell extensivly and it works great.

Håkan

PS. I would love to send stuff to you for testing as long as you have paid for them in advance.......:)

Ended up selling this one on the hide here a while back. Was a top notch weapon (as in GTG not the company) and beat the shit out of any AR I have ever owned/shot. I wish it was still in the safe and kick myself for selling...

I do not remember what the American parts were but I do know there is a bigger selection now then when this was built as I believe you can get small part replacements such as hammer, sear, trigger etc...

IMG_4607.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_46281.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG