• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H&R buffalo classic & Malcolm 6x scope

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 26, 2011
    Idaho
    I've always wanted to get into .45-70. I like the lever guns out there but I was looking for something more unique. There are some beautiful rolling blocks and Ruger #1s out there but I'm not ready to dump $1k in a platform for this cartridge...yet. I've set my sights on the the H&R buffalo classic (~$400) and one of the Malcolm/Hi-lux 32" 6x long scopes (links below if you're not familiar with them)

I'm looking for any feedback on the rifle, or scope, pros, cons, what to expect (besides the recoil
    crazy.gif
    ) and any suggestions for alternate scope decisions or customization of the rifle. It will be used for off season target shooting and occasional hunt. Thanks in adavance.

H&R Buffalo Classic
    Malcolm/Hi-lux 32" 6x scope

Re: H&R buffalo classic & Malcolm 6x scope

I've owned a few of those over the years. Had a .22 Hornet years ago that was dead nuts accurate.

It's a great way to get into .45/70. They aren't special or collectible. But they are well-made and lock up like a vault. They are generally quite accurate, though the barrel mounted scope bases can be a bit hard on the scopes! Personally, I'd put on a ladder-type tang sight. All you need for the ranges you will shoot. And more fun.

If it were me, I'd watch GB or similar for a used HR. And if .45/70 turns out to be your thing (and it IS fun to shoot!) buy something like a Sharps (IMA or Pedersoli) and keep the H&R for load development. And you can buy barrels and use the gun for anything from a shotgun to a .22 Hornet.

We are just over a month away from our annual Pumpkin Slinger Pumpkin Shoot up here at the farm. We buy leftover Halloween Pumpkins, cut holes in them and fill them with water. Then go at them with rifles over .45 Cal (.444 Marlin is allowed) out to a few hundred yards. A water-filled pumpkin hit with a .45/70 makes a nice splat.

So you won't get any argument from me over wanting a pumpkin slinger. Or an HR.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: H&R buffalo classic & Malcolm 6x scope

I owned an H&R Buffalo Classic a few years back, and shot it quite often. They are good guns, for the money, but I was into lever guns, so I bought a Marlin 1895 and gave the H&R to my brother as a graduation gift from Ranger School. He still owns it, and shoots it often when he goes home on the weekends.

I never had a problem with accuracy, but according to an ex-employee of H&R, who now calls Redding home, after H&R was bought out by the Freedom Group in 2007 their barrel supplier was switched. Due to the change in suppliers, the end result was an inferior quality barrel than was available pre-2007.

Again, I've not seen the latest turn outs by H&R, but I'm sure they are still decent guns. Regardless of who the parts supplier is. Granted they aren't going to be a 10k round rifle, but you should still get some good mileage out of it.

Also, for the information, the Buffalo Classic comes with Williams peep sights. In the package there are several different rear appetures that can be switched out to accommodate your preference in rear sight picture. I would learn to shoot the rifle before I put a scope on it. Since the H&R isn't a 500 yd. rifle .... try the sights before you slap glass on it.