• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4350 in 223 AI ?

Boogaloo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Los Angeles Kalifornia
I have recently switched back to my 223 AI barrel (223 wylde/223 AI switch barrel set up) and decided to investigate some different powders as I get back into the AI realm.

I was running 2000-MR and CFE-223 as well as Varget and H4895 in my Wylde chambered for heavies, but with CFE-223 and 2000-MR, I was running in to pierced primers at just under 3000 fps in a 24" barrel shooting 75's and 80's, which got me thinking about different powders.

One thing I noticed in both QuickLoad and GRT for H4350 is that Pmax and z1 are almost right on top of each other with Berger 90 VLD's @ 26.4 grains, which will yield somewhere around 2700 fps (according to QL and GRT) so it seems like it might work out pretty well.

I did as good a search as I could do here and elsewhere looking for info from anyone running H4350 in 223 AI, and came up short.

Does anyone have any personal experience running H4350 in 223 AI?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have heard of folks trying it , I have not . What I remember is 4350 being a single base powder and large that folks could not get the velocity from it that makes the 223 AI shine .

I have heard of folks trying it , I have not . What I remember is 4350 being a single base powder and large that folks could not get the velocity from it that makes the 223 AI shine .
Thanks @Haney
H4350 is no bigger (kernel size) than Varget, and @ 26.4 grains, the top of the charge is right at the base of the neck/shoulder junction, so no compressed loads, yet pretty much precisely full enough for OBT consideration.

Anyway, I appreciate the reply. I am going to load up a few rounds and at least chrono it and see where it runs...

If anyone else has any input, it is genuinely welcome!

Curious if your results. I haven’t tried any, yet, still fireforming brass

I just stepped outside with an 80 eld over 26g of RL16. 2700fps with a 26” barrel and Tbac on the end.

Same charge with Shooters world precision yielded 2984fps, 8208 was 3089 with hard bolt lift.

Just not enough room in the case I suppose.

Interested in your results. My .223 AI is 16" so H4350 probably isn't my best choice, but it's nice to have options.

Yep, h4350 is too slow and run out of case capacity before pressure/velocity can be made. Tac and h4895 work great with 75-80gr bullets in my 223 wylde.