• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H4831 for .338LM

Spuds Terkel

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2014
South Dak.
I have several pounds of OLD H4831 Stick powder. I would like to know if anyone has used it for their .338LM? If so, what grain weight did you start with? Any suggestions on Primers? The powder is good (fresh?) I continue to use it for .30-06 and .270 It has been well cared for.
Thanks for any input.

Never used it, but it might be a touch too fast for bullets in the heavier range that the 338 uses

Powder is on the fast side for a 338 LM, i would look into some other alternatives.
Retumbo, H 1000, N 170, N570, N165 should all be a lot more ideal especially with heavier bullets.

H4831 is too fast for the heavy bullets (300gr). It will work for the 250's if that is what you are planning to shoot. As suggested above, if you are shooting the 300gr class of bullets, you are much better off with H1000, Retumbo, etc.