• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes h58 vs mil dot

kcshooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Kansas City
I'm just really starting to get into long range shooting past 300 yards and trying to decide which reticle best suits me. The mil dot is a proven system and works amazing, but the h58 seems like a great reticle for doing elevation and windage hold at the same time. I'm really only using the reticle for hunting and shooting steel with my 308.

Re: h58 vs mil dot

In what scopes, what is your budget and do you have a problem with paying a $500 upcharge just to have a Horus reticle?

Best way to get into the h58 without spending a shit ton on cash is the bushnell hdmr. Search that. Theirs a lot of info about them on here. Ive own/owned scopes with both reticles and you can use either one for elevation/ wind holds, it just comes down to how much you train with either one. The h58 is pretty busy and takes sometime to get use to. Theirs plenty of other reticle patterns out there that are a mix of both, gen 2 mil dot, mlr, tmr, gap g2, p4/f.

If illumination isn't needed...the best scope going for the money is the Bushnell HDMR. I like the H-59 better than the H-58.

I have a HDMR with a H-59 and it is fantastic. I love the 3.5-21x range. The H-59 is quick to learn and easy to use. I also use the Shooter App on my EVO for quick holdover info. Great system.

Horus reticles rock. I run the H37 on a Leupold Mark 5 ERT 8.5-20x50 I enjoy not having to dial elevation between 300yd - 600 yd; instead just center the '3' elevation line. If I do want to dial and move a group to center, the grid provides accurate group placement measurement.

Hold-offs to adjust for minor wind shift is easy.

To each his own... I don't like Horus reticles, too thin, busy and difficult to use in low light. What it gains in speed more than loses in complexity and confusion.

Much prefer reticles with fewer, thicker, bolder lines. And even the old dots are easy to see in low light.

I have the H58 HDMR and I don't find it to be too busy...you get used to it and it's an awesome system once you learn how use it.

I know how to use them... just don't like them for the reasons above.

When I heard that the military were buying some horus equiped scopes, I thought WTF??? Perhaps there is something for everyone.

Is there a generic name for the Horus, Vortex EBR-2, HDMR, etc.?

I am very new to long range and it would seem for a noob that these reticles are faster for acquiring a target (or multiple or moving targets) in a tactical or hunting scenario than a standard mil-dot. But I want to do some more reading/research to make sure I am not completely off base. The manufacturers description of their various reticles are generic at best.

The reticles you mentioned are simply a modified USMC mil based reticle. Most scopes companies offer modified mil versions of their own design.

The Horus Vision company created their own proprietary grid reticle system.

The HDMR is Bushnell's scope. Bushnell has their own reticles but offers through license the H-59 which is a Horus reticle. Bushnell also offers their own reticles and a GAP reticle in the HDMR.

Vortex, a optics company, designed the EBR2 reticle and offers it in some of the scopes in their tactical line.