• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hacked Accounts, what to do

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So the hacked accounts are pretty easy to fix, especially when people see the email change and go on it fast. The problem is usually, at least one post is made in the scammer's name.

Now, all the scammers are doing is, finding the correct password on a previously hacked site, trying it, and if they get in, they change the email and password the make scammer posts in your name using your reputation.

We have been fixing accounts, deleting the scammer posts, and resetting the account, so the member is not out his credentials or time. The problem is I fix an account, and you continue to report them. So we play this back-and-forth game of where we might have missed a post, or the person sees the scam, says nothing, but then sometime later reports the cleaned-up account.

Then we have the problem of which Moderator is contacted and who does what. I fix it, Rob gets contacted, comes in behind me, and bans it.

I might have to start just deleting your account if you were hacked. Otherwise, we chase these same reports 3 and 4 times because people stagger the reports. We fix the issue, as in my mind, it's not a big deal, but then you all turn it into a big deal, and I have to chase it.

Lastly on the same topic, we tell you NOT to make scammer posts; we remove the scammers, the scammers are organized crime and not a person, yet you all think you are smart and start making posts. I caught account RERFFDSEF, and he scammed me; there is no one behind that account, it's faceless as far as you are concerned. What ends up happening instead, you start seeing ghosts EVERYWHERE. I have to clean up accounts every time you all make a Found a Scammer Post. Why you start labeling everything a scam even when nothing is there, and then we stop looking beyond the obvious, You cry wolf and it causes a ton of problems. I cleaned up three accounts today where you accused people of being "scammy" and yet provide no evidence.

On top of that, you reported someone as "scammy" with no evidence and nothing for us to look at, and giving the benefit of the doubt someone was scammed. just saying Scammer is meaningless. You have very little idea of what a scammer account looks like because normally, unless it was a hacked account, they look normal. Now, if you had an interaction with them and see it, but don't give us the details, you wasted everyone's time and probably gave them more time to work.

Please be precise, we have a lot of accounts. With Hacks you have to decide, am I deleting the user name completely or am I fixing them?

If our accounts get wiped/deleted from being hacked, it would be nice to have our old username in the custom title. It's going to confuse a lot of three letter agencies..... when they are tracking us/our posts for extreme content. My case worker already has enough to do, and I don't want to inconvenience them further.

Just my 2 cents ;)

my opinion,
    Fix the account
    In the past I was scammed reported the account.
    I know others likely reported also.
    You are going to get multiple reports until some kind of post/lock on the scam/for sale ad and account is made. If I had seen a post that said you/mods are aware then I'm not going to waste your and my time reporting... as you already know.
    Not sure if there is a way to "red flag" an account that it is reported or "under investigation"
    All time consuming I am aware.
    Again just my thoughts and opinion... worth about 0.02 cents I know!

They track IP anyways; the user names help them in small ways, but not all.

Your user name is their water cooler conversation; the official reports have IP

We are not really set up to Investigate, to flag, and monitor, should be a one-and-done thing

Question? Why do they do it if theres no money involved? Just being ass holes or is there something else they stand to gain.

I am dealing with another now, I fixed the account, Rob banned it after the fix because of continued reports

they get pissy, too because it was fixed and them banned again and most of these accounts are supporter to post in the PX so they cry the blues

Reactions: lash
    Question? Why do they do it if theres no money involved? Just being ass holes or is there something else they stand to gain.

there is money involved, lots of money hacked accounts are scamming people who are too stupid to ask question and especially stupid thinking they got a deal

The hacked accounts are just dark web passwords they buy, the people scammed are the idiots who feed this

there is money involved, lots of money hacked accounts are scamming people who are too stupid to ask question and especially stupid thinking they got a deal

The hacked accounts are just dark web passwords they buy, the people scammed are the idiots who feed this
    Thanks

the chinese hacks with the writing are mainly just nuance hacks

they are their troll farms practicing how to hack, so they start small and work their way up

those hacks are just practice meant to annoy and if they can drop something bigger in they will try

Reactions: Bender and lash
    there is money involved,

the people scammed are the idiots who feed this
    Correct money is involved!

All of the aspects in the "how to avoid fraud" pinned post at the top of the Buy/Sell are followed 100% and you still get scammed but are you saying we "are the idiots who feed this"? Tell me though how if I look at a seller with perfect feedback, good history, recent relevant posts, how are we to determine it is a hacked account?
    How the F am I supposed to know it is a "just been hacked" account?

I'll be honest and admit I think some of these pro hackers are smarter than 99% of us here regarding computer/internet use. Seems like it is just a risk we all take to purchase from each other.

Have any of the accounts with two factor verification been hacked?

It sure seems like a simple extra margin of protection to me.

Plus they always offer "great deals" that never exist in real life

Again the Copper Creek Hack was the most blatant with $500 custom manners stocks being offered, really you think they outsmart people ?

In the cases of the email / password hack, the system sends you an email to your original account it was changed so if you contact us immediately after getting the email we can fix it fast

We change the email back and reset the password

Reactions: lash
    In the cases of the email / password hack, the system sends you an email to your original account it was changed so if you contact us immediately after getting the email we can fix it fast

We change the email back and reset the password
    Does the email give you the email address to send back to if there is an issue?

yes, they use scammer emails,

they change the email address to a scammer one, then they reset the password and steal the account.

But emails are not like a driver's license they can be spoofed and scammed too

I am dealing with another now, I fixed the account, Rob banned it after the fix because of continued reports

they get pissy, too because it was fixed and them banned again and most of these accounts are supporter to post in the PX so they cry the blues
    Would it be possible for you to put characters, initials or a word in the users tag line letting the other mods know you have already fixed the account. Something like **HMFIC of this shit, or LL HMFIC of this shit. Later on after the dust settles the user could go back and change their tag line.

It will never get seen,

not all the mods have the same level of access and don't see everything, as well nobody looks

This whole post is about people not paying attention, and you want me to change something that requires them to understand and be observant of ... ya, that will work here.

Reactions: Bender
    what exactly happens to these scammers once they're caught/banned? is this just a constant never ending deal?

Yes, they are just a name on a computer, they cannot track or trace them unless they figure out a way to get them when they intercept the money, but today most use electronic methods. used to be the scam were false addresses and mail drops; they have you send the check to an address and just intercept the mail. Now they specify which electronic service they want to use.

Law Enforcement has no real interest because tracking this down is close to impossible without FBI-style resources to trace the electronic trails.

They start off by making many many accounts, variations on accounts etc, they know the system will catch 90% but the 10% that gets through can be a pain. They learn they evolve, and they change tactics slightly, but nothing will happen.

It's pretty obvious the moment you try to interact with them as English is not their first language. But you have to engage with them.

Reactions: Bender and DukeGSP
    I know nothing about how a business like yours works, or what data tools you have access to. However, I was once an engineer who worked alot with large databases, 100,000+ records with tons of columns. Weeding out duplicates from raw data was a big part of what we did.

I don't think stopping the false reports will ever work. You might be better off to create a database tool that weeds out the duplicate reports on the moderator side.

For example, lets say deersniper posts something unoffensive. This causes 50 users report they suspect the deersniper account was hacked.

If you could get the website to export a table of all 1000 reports for that day, that table could be loaded into a database (Microsoft Access would be an easy choice) that all the mods had access to. They could use pre-designed database querys to immediately identify that 50 of the 1000 reports were regarding the same account, deersniper. Fix deersnipers hacked account, and mass-edit the selected 50 records to show those reports were addressed.

The next day when the site receives 750 new reports, maybe 10 of them are re-reports are about deersniper being hacked. Adding the new report data table into the same database, the data query that identifies duplicates would show that deersnipers account received 50 reports yesterday, which HMFIC already marked as fixed, and 10 reports with today's date. Moderator 2 would immediately see you already addressed the first 50 reports, and could mark the next 10 as "done" without doing any further investigation.

Not sure if any of that helps as I don't know anything about what your website software capabilities are, but its the direction I would look first.

No they don’t have that access and raw files are under layers hidden from view.

No mod gets access to controls or systems like that and even as an Admin they are layered so you don’t break stuff

There is no, “engineering” on our side, that stuff stays hidden. Even basic things i think all mods should see they don’t without changing permissions.

It’s not a great system as it’s meant to be modular and plug and play, not requiring any advanced tools or knowledge

No they don’t have that access and raw files are under layers hidden from view.

No mod gets access to controls or systems like that and even as an Admin they are layered so you don’t break stuff

There is no, “engineering” on our side, that stuff stays hidden. Even basic things i think all mods should see they don’t without changing permissions.

It’s not a great system as it’s meant to be modular and plug and play, not requiring any advanced tools or knowledge
    Makes sense that the under-layer files should be off limits to mods to prevent damage. You definately don't want to be messing with the actual database of Snipers Hide. But in case I wasn't clear before, I wasn't referring to anyone messing with anything on the website files.

Can the website software (without going under the hood and messing with anything manually) export out a file in any table file format (such as a .txt or .csv file) that would contain a list of reports made that could be pasted into another program like Excel or Access? The only website I have experience with was a basic e-commerce website for my business, and I could push a button and it would create a comma delimited text file of every new order. I could then import that text file into Excel and use excel to manage the data and track order information.

All manipulations by moderators would happen in a separate Excel/Access database, NOT your website database and not connected in any way to the website. Basically just creating a report tracking tool you would use on the side. If the website can't export any such file, then yeah this idea won't work.

Reactions: Near miss
    DSC_3201.JPG

I got burned on a new scope , dude told me reticle was MILS and of course its MOA

Tell users to turn on MFA. Make a big sticky post about it and make it easy to understand.

If they don't, and they get hacked, then delete the account.

EDIT: Also, stop using the same password on every site...you deserve to get hacked and have your shit deleted.

Managing reports sounds good.

But MFA is a good option too.
    Send every member an email containing QR code and link to activate it. (Maybe every 3 hours until they act upon it)
    Having the QR code saved in emails is a plus in case you loose the MFA device later on.

Makes sense that the under-layer files should be off limits to mods to prevent damage. You definately don't want to be messing with the actual database of Snipers Hide. But in case I wasn't clear before, I wasn't referring to anyone messing with anything on the website files.

Can the website software (without going under the hood and messing with anything manually) export out a file in any table file format (such as a .txt or .csv file) that would contain a list of reports made that could be pasted into another program like Excel or Access? The only website I have experience with was a basic e-commerce website for my business, and I could push a button and it would create a comma delimited text file of every new order. I could then import that text file into Excel and use excel to manage the data and track order information.

All manipulations by moderators would happen in a separate Excel/Access database, NOT your website database and not connected in any way to the website. Basically just creating a report tracking tool you would use on the side. If the website can't export any such file, then yeah this idea won't work.
    I’m sure we could devise a system an easier one would be a post in the private area that says I fixed account A, B, C… that might be easier 😝