• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hacksaw+Rem 5r= Poor man's Gladius? *Updated with results in 1st post*

Ryedaddy....Are you gonna put up groups after you have the barrel crowned? Or tell us about them.

Seems less versatile and ammo picky in the latest configuration. I have a 20", a 22", and my shooting buddy shoots a 24" 5R. I haven't seen many rifles not like the 168 or 175 FGMM. Looks way better since the you crowned it.

and polished the crown with a chucked up round head bolt in a hand drill and some lapping compound, it would shoot as good as anything.

I quit doing that on my crowns. Just cut them slowly with the hand cutter then make sure no burrs are left behind. Took another .100" off my group size. Doesn't make sense to carefully cut a crown square with the bore then "freehand" any lapping with a round head screw. The reason 'smiths "lap" the crown is because they lathe cut them and the tool pressure can displace metal, leaving a ridge at the end of the lands/grooves. When hand cutting the pressure on the tool isn't enough to work that ridge up so no lapping is required.

UPDATE 9/7/14

Rifle still has not been sent out for crown and threads, taking it pig hunting for a couple of days before I send it out. Took it back to the range to re-zero after having it all disassembled this past week and remounting the scope. Here's the 168 Amax load with 44.2 grains of Varget again. Three 5 shot groups. Still looking good as is. Stragglers are scope adjustments.

98ytkn.jpg

UPDATE 9/10/14

Ok, one last update before it gets finished. This one I think most people would be more interested in because it's farther than 100 yards.

Took the rifle pig hunting but didn't see any oinkers so this morning before leaving I set up a target at 416 yards and let all 13 rounds I brought fly. I didn't have any velocity data or DOPE so I guessed at elevation without adjusting for wind. That is the 3 shot labeled group 3 that the wind had pushed off the paper. I adjusted fire after going downrange to check and fired group 2 which contains 6 shots. Then went up another 0.4 mils to keep the last group on paper but as a seperate grouping of 4 shots. Winds were squirrely, west TX is a good place to learn wind calls.

I'd be happy to leave the rifle like this if I didn't need it threaded for a can. If anyone is curious, I ran the drop through JBM and came up with ~2590 FPS. This unworked up load is Lapua brass, CCI 200 Primer, 44.2 grains of Varget and a 168 Amax seated at 2.200" base-ogive (2.835" OAL)

id4xlk.jpg