• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Had a customer send back this AR10 bolt

unclemoak

d.wilson mfg
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2008
Englewood, CO
www.dwilsonmfg.com
He apparently thought the bottom lug was causing some issue of it no stripping the next shell out of the magazine, so he thought it would be a good idea to grind it off.

Send him the bolt back with a sliver of metal in the same package and tell him to install it because you can't do work as fine as he does :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, if I would have done something that stupid. You would have never heard from me again. The sense of shame, is weak with this one.

Ok I will ask the question. Why did he send it back? I know that sounds stupid but he wouldn't have used a dewalt 7 inch grinder on it without a reason. At least I would hope not. I am not saying there is (or was) anything wrong with it i just am sure there is a funny as hell story that would add to the picture.
I imagine that the gun was not cycling fully and the bolt was picking up a round in the middle of the case and jaming. Pretty sure we have all seen that. Usually weak ammo, not enough gas or to heavy buffer/spring.
just wondering what the hell he was trying to accomplish.

What the Hell!??? WHY? Im curious too as to why someone would think that'd be a reasonable thing to do.

Serious question for you AR experts. How much would this amount of damage actually effect the functionality/safety of the rifle?

Personally, I don't think I'd ever even consider grinding the locking lugs on any of my rifles, but it's interesting to see that not everyone is as reticent as myself. Maybe he was going to do some kind of 'Mythbusters'-like test, where he ground more and more of the lugs offf until he ended up with a load of scrap metal embedded in his head?

I've heard of the same type of stupidty with the gas block/tube... thinking it wasn't free-floated with those "non-essential" parts clamped to it...