• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Had a great weekend in West Texas

Scotty22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Katy, Texas USA
Well I went out to the ranch for a little hog population control this past weekend. The weather was nice , stayed in the mid 60's to low 70's during the day and low 30's at night. Ended up taking 3 pigs with one well placed 300 grain Berger hybrid from my 338 lapua AI.

2mfly4y.jpg

15occx5.jpg

zu1e38.jpg

10h6ejl.jpg

Couple scenery shots
a9qq8m.jpg

iopy86.jpg

2cepzxe.jpg

If anyone in Texas or close to west Texas would like 5 free wild horses they can have them. Only one stipulations you have to come catch them.
4u71oz.jpg

260734m.jpg

Nice shootin'! The little pig's intestines look like somebody poured Spaghetti-O's on him, kinda funny in a sick kind of ways

Pretty cool having wild horses running around. I love TX.

I thought that the scenery looked remotely familiar. It looks similar to a friends ranch south of Ozona. We have had great times and have seen a lot of animals. Whitetails, axis, aoudads, pigs, turkeys. And all free ranging.

Eagleskier do you know where abouts south of Ozona it is or the ranch name? I'm hunting the brewer ranch it's about 16k acres and I lease 1800 of it. We have a lot of free ranging exotics decent whitetail a good amount of turkey's and a whole lot of pigs.

As for the wild horses they are very pretty and nice to look at but they are costing me lots of money in corn and equipment. They tear up the feed pens and feeders. So I'm trying to get rid of them I really don't want to shoot them but it might resort to that.

Thats awesome! I killed a boar in lousianna back in 02 and Ive been looking at getting to texas for some pigs before i move up north this summer. But i have a hard time justifying shelling out the money some of these places want to let you come hunt.. so we will see.

Yea some places are rediculous with what they want you to pay. But in all reality they are naming a profit off of you coming and doing them a favor.

Nice one Scotty, One I got in Rio Medina this Jan. during a Veteran/Youth hunt. Taken w/ Howa 1500 .223 in the ear. Hopefully I'll get a few more chances before transferring to next station in 2015.
039.jpg

Yea some places are rediculous with what they want you to pay. But in all reality they are naming a profit off of you coming and doing them a favor.

You aren't kidding about the prices being ridiculous especially since most of the places I have looked only allow one hog to be taken. I understand they have to pay for insurance which is probably very expensive but it's crazy to help them rid a nuisance animal.

Yea it's crazy. If guest come out to my place all I ask is you bring your drink of choice and help out with the groceries.

Hey guys. I'm moving to Midland in a few weeks. I'm used to having tons of public land to hunt but I understand that there no public land in Tx. So what does a guy have to do to hunt down there?

Man leasing the hunting rights can range in prices from $2000 a year to $100,000 a year just depends on the area and the deer quality or game in general quality. I would ask around I pay 10,800 a year for 1800 acres and but that is divided by 5 guys so it's 2160 a year per hunter. We have decent deer that range from 120 to the ocassional 150in buck. We have free ranging exotics such as black buck, axis, sika, and fallow. There are quite a few turkey's out there and like I have stated more pigs then we can shoot in a life time.

Thanks. I have been wanting to hunt pigs for a long time. There aren't any up here, "yet". I hear they are moving closer from eastern OR. Will have to get across the Columbia river though. As for horned critters, I prefer elk, & big muleys but for table fare I'm not too picky. A doe is fine by me for that. So if you're in need of some more hog shooters I'll be happy to help you out.

Well I headed back out to the property for another weekend of population control. The 338 really hammers the shit out of these things especially the smaller ones. It almost looked like a prairie dog flying through the air after being hit by a 204 or 243. Well I hunted Saturday evening and ended up knocking down thee again with one shot. Here are the pics.

2qd4brl.jpg

I use to live in Uvalde and would trip to Del Rio to fish on the Pecos River. Lots of fun and good times in that part of the country!

Last edited:
Is it good fishing in that area? I have thought about fishing lake Amistad during the summer but don't have a boat and really don't know where to go. Might just go fish the Pecos out of Pandale this summer.

It has been awhile since being down there, but when the white bass are running on the Pecos.........you can fill your cooler for sure! I just like the Pecos River area from where it runs into the Rio Grande and going north from there with all the high bluffs. Great camping in the days. Seminole Canyon State park has a boat ramp.....go up the Pecos from there. Amistad is huge.....easy to get lost there. Haven't really fished it much so don't know about that.

If you really need some help with those pigs, I live part time in San Antonio and would love to come out and shoot some.

I know this thread's a little old, but FYI, Amistad's been pretty low lately. The fishing has kinda dropped with the water level, but still some of the best around. I've only done some off the shore, but I've heard it's a lot better by boat.

Nice rifle by the way. 338 Lapua is near the top on my dream list.

Use to hunt near Del Rio a good bit. Out off of the devil's river. Beautiful country out there. Pigs sure a blast to ... well, blast. Haha

Yea we are not to far from del rio. Just north of comstock by about 30 miles off of 1024. I was out there again last weekend checking on the place and filling feeders. We put my buddies 458 socom to work on the pigs and boy is that round devastating.

That's a seriously nice rig man, and some great shots. 3 at a time! :cool: If you had to estimate, how populated are the hogs on your property? The only place I have to compare to is a property near Bandera, TX. 350 acres and the owner says he's got about 3 dozen roaming his land and tearing everything up.

That is awesome! Been to texas once and Alabama once hunting...still have yet to see a pig. That 338 really does a number on them.

Sweet Jesus, that's some serious bang/splattery. A few years back, I caught a couple piglets raiding my henhouse. Little bastaards ate all my eggs and then were chasing down the chicks and eating them too. 25 yards with a 45 JHP 22-250 does much the same thing! the only way to tell the nose from the arsehole was by the number of holes!

Breeze

Nice shooting! and Nice Rifle! I'll be moving to TX in less than 2 weeks now. Cant wait to get out there. I'm sure you have no shortage of guys willing to help out with your pig problem though haha

Yea the 458 really hammers them. The hog kill count has climbed in the past 3 months to 19 total. I killed 2 more 3 weeks ago and another buddy shot 2, 2 weeks. I don't even think we have put a dent in the population but it sure is fun trying.

mcdlyh.jpg

Last edited:
Well boys it was another successful weekend at the ranch on 8/15. We got lots of rain out here in west Texas Friday night most of Saturday and Sunday morning. Made for an enjoyable weekend. It let up long enough for me to get out and kill a few hogs and watch a few deer eat. I had my AO built 223 out this weekend shooting the 77gr smk's. They are an absolute hammer on the pigs. We totaled 10 pigs for the weekend.
8vpv6w.jpg

2 for 1
2h49nad.jpg