• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Halo N-VIsion Optics

So I just bought the Halo LR. I am a trijicon reap owner.. and so far.. not that impressed. Heat indexes are globs and not detailed. Am I missing something?

Play really good with the setting under video.
But you cannot use the Lr at the same distance to I’d a item and see the details.
So basically the magnification is too much. I taught them same for example if I am looking at my dogs at 50ft true the reap ir I need to be at 100ft on the halo Lr. I am using this numbers as a example. But basically you will have to distance yourself more. because the starting native magnification is way more is not in focus.

As far as reticles go everyone is not just shooting hogs with these. Some of us live in the midwest and are only shooting coyotes. A simple 3 moa/1 mill mark will get us to the 350yd range accurately. most of our shots are 150yds but sometimes they hang up and a 300+ is needed. A simple reference is all that is needed. Zero at 200, center coyote between crosshair and first mark for 300, use mark for 350.
And someone needs to make the radius again!
As far as the 15guys around me that shoot 40+ yotes a year are concerned.
Also who is making the recorder that attaches to the rear lens? Besides a MDVR

Reactions: Sledge1
@slim023 your message is loud and clear. Thank you! We also got a number of great reticle suggestions from other users here. Working. I hope to have some info to share in two-three weeks.

A simple 3 moa/1 mill mark will get us to the 350yd range accurately. most of our shots are 150yds but sometimes they hang up and a 300+ is needed. A simple reference is all that is needed. Zero at 200, center coyote between crosshair and first mark for 300, use mark for 350.

Hunted this week with the LR and all I can say is it’s awesome. Spent 2 yrs behind a Trail XP50 hog hunting 2-3 times a week and all I can say is the LR is a noticeable improvement on picture quality. I was able to ID hogs approaching 1000yds at 3.5 native magnification. Nothing against the Trail & it’s been great, but it’s gonna get sold now.

Reactions: Tonele6
Here is an LPMR-T video displaying the zoom clarity on the Halo units. This is a Halo LR People are about 480yds.

Curious what the outside conditions were during filming. Looks great must have been fairly low humidity and temp. I've noticed in Texas things during the summer don't "pop" as much for obvious reasons as they do in your video.

Been having some great thermal conditions here lately, thought I would do a little sharing

Reactions: EWS6 and Max_R
So I just bought the Halo LR. I am a trijicon reap owner.. and so far.. not that impressed. Heat indexes are globs and not detailed. Am I missing something?
Have you played with the settings to show more detail on heat-producing objects, which would encompass increasing the brightness and decreasing the contrast? From what you are saying it sounds like you have the contrast up.... which takes away a noticeable amount of detail from heating-producing objects (such as animals, people, etc). Here is an example of what I speak (and still the contrast is a little up on this image and the brightness down, but you can still see a bunch of detail). I use to have a REAP as well and I find that the HALO ( I have the 25mm edition for reference) provides a cleaner image with a wider array of finer image adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_8804.PNG
    IMG_8804.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I’ve been using the analog output to an MDVR and I’ve been getting better video quality than my Trail. It is not a true representation of what you see in the Halo’s eyepiece but it is still a very nice video. If I could figure out how to upload an mp4 to this forum (keep getting “not a valid extension “), I’d post some vids of hog poppin’. For a previous poster: I use 0-1 contrast (you really don’t need any with this scope), brightness 5 & sharpness 3 to produce a very nice image for night hunting. I also replaced the eyepiece with the pvs14 shuttered one, works great. I scan in white hot and shoot in black hot (looks almost like a day scope). It’s 3.5 native, so objects <20yds will not be in focus, outside of that it’s beautiful. See Ultimate Night Vision’s “Hunting the most hated animal in America” on YouTube for some good Halo LR footage.

Image dump! And as I stated before, the images are much better when looking through the actual optic; it's difficult to capture the image as your eye sees it with a camera looking through the lens.

Attachments

• 20190726_220609.jpg
    20190726_220609.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: Max_R
Just ordered up a HALO 25mm from @DownRangeThermal. Exceptional customer service.

If you guys @Max_R figure out a useable 1-2 mil reticle I’ll add at least one LR to the collection.

Reactions: Max_R
We are working on the new reticle right now. There is hope to start testing later this week or early next. I'll keep you posted. Sorry for the delay and slow response.

Just ordered up a HALO 25mm from @DownRangeThermal. Exceptional customer service.

If you guys @Max_R figure out a useable 1-2 mil reticle I’ll add at least one LR to the collection.

Great news! Will it be for people that already have them or only for newly produced scopes? I desperately want to buy a 50mm :)

Good question. We are still thinking about it but most probably there will be a way for people who want/need it to upgrade.

Great news! Will it be for people that already have them or only for newly produced scopes? I desperately want to buy a 50mm :)

Good question. We are still thinking about it but most probably there will be a way for people who want/need it to upgrade.

Sounds good. Please keep us in the loop. Thanks!

JStokes1, those images are unbelievable. Those are standard 25mm? How much does it degrade when you max out the zoom?

NVision Customer Service: I sent my scope back twice, once for software update and once for when I broke the external output connector. In both cases the scope was door to door in 5 days or less and they kept me updated continuously via email, OUTSTANDING in my opinion.

Hi guys,

New to the forum here. I have been on from time to time searching for info and its a great site! I have been shopping thermal scopes pretty hard here over the last few months and had kind of narrowed down my decision to the Halo LR. I wanted to see if there was any new info available or if any of you that have had one for a while have any additional commentary as well as info on reticle updates. Also I see people make mention of blurred images up close due to native magnification. Anyone one have any image examples of what this looks like at 10-20yds? My primary use would be hog hunting and varmint shooting. Playing with ideas but may set this up on a 300 B.O SBR that will be suppressed and also wanted input on "zeroing" on this scope across different loads or different rifle platforms. Also, could you mount an offset MRDS with this scope (I am left handed). Currently I have a magnified objective up top on 300 for more precise shooting and MRDS offset on side. Thanks in advance!!

i have been running a halo for around a year and probably have around 100 or so coyote kills and a ton of small fur bearer kills with it. if you're a precision rifle shooter and appreciate having a true graduated mil reticle then the halo is the shit. i have had and used about everything out there and this is what im sticking with for the foreseeable future. i dont and havent had issues with a blurry image at 10-20yds as i am rarely if ever shooting something that close. that said, i dont think its an issue there honeslty but the halo LR is a long range thermal. not really suited for that close stuff.

theres no provision for rds mounting on the chassis of the optic. you can mount to the rail of the rifle or something im sure.

buy good power packs to use with it and it will serve you well.

Reactions: jwramp
It’s the best thermal out currently. Blurred image? Why are you shooting at things 5-15 yards away? No thermal including trijicon is made for that. Use a white light and offset irons or red dot if you want to shoot 10 yards away or a pvs-14 and a laser. Even night vision will suffer from that though. It will work just fine on a 300blk. It you’re really worried about closer shots get the HALO instead of the LR. If you want a weapon mounted option a white light and offset irons/rds is your best bet but in my opinion it’s a waste you’ll never use it.

i have been running a halo for around a year and probably have around 100 or so coyote kills and a ton of small fur bearer kills with it. if you're a precision rifle shooter and appreciate having a true graduated mil reticle then the halo is the shit. i have had and used about everything out there and this is what im sticking with for the foreseeable future. i dont and havent had issues with a blurry image at 10-20yds as i am rarely if ever shooting something that close. that said, i dont think its an issue there honeslty but the halo LR is a long range thermal. not really suited for that close stuff.

theres no provision for rds mounting on the chassis of the optic. you can mount to the rail of the rifle or something im sure.

buy good power packs to use with it and it will serve you well.
Thank you for the prompt reply! I dont have intentions of using it much for close range shooting I was just concerned that if something happened to be that close I wouldnt be able to take the shot. Even if I can simply acquire the target I dont care if it is a little blurry.
Without being able to put my hands on one prior to purchase I am nervous that my offset mrds wont work. I was looking at pulsar trail 2LRF and it appears the large range finder or whatever it is on the side would obscure the sight view.
Any thought on using the multiple reticles for zeroing to be able to shoot subsonics vs supersonics without making changes?
Also since you brought it up, what kind of power packs are we talking? It looks like standard batteries give it around 3.5-4hrs?

Last edited:
It’s the best thermal out currently. Blurred image? Why are you shooting at things 5-15 yards away? No thermal including trijicon is made for that. Use a white light and offset irons or red dot if you want to shoot 10 yards away or a pvs-14 and a laser. Even night vision will suffer from that though. It will work just fine on a 300blk. It you’re really worried about closer shots get the HALO instead of the LR. If you want a weapon mounted option a white light and offset irons/rds is your best bet but in my opinion it’s a waste you’ll never use it.
I just saw where someone suggested it was blurred up close. I highly doubt I will ever use the thermal optic that close. I do want to mount an offset MRDS (already have it) and will likely add a smaller white light in the near future. I have several firearms this thermal may float around on depending on what I am doing and regularly am swapping accessories around from one to the other depending on what I am doing.
Any input on zeroing multiple reticles to compensate for sub vs supersonic rounds?

There’s 4 separate zero/reticle you can use for multiple platforms or zeros for subsonics yes. It works very well. I’m not sure what the need is for a rds on the weapon but maybe consider a laser over a rds

There’s 4 separate zero/reticle you can use for multiple platforms or zeros for subsonics yes. It works very well. I’m not sure what the need is for a rds on the weapon but maybe consider a laser over a rds
Thank you for the input. A laser would probably be fine as well. MRDS would be for quick shooting/ potential close home defense situations. from a stationary position I can consistently hit a 10" plate at 125yds and already have it on hand so would just be a bolt on addition. Edit: also for daytime use when thermal is not necessary.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

New to the forum here. I have been on from time to time searching for info and its a great site! I have been shopping thermal scopes pretty hard here over the last few months and had kind of narrowed down my decision to the Halo LR. I wanted to see if there was any new info available or if any of you that have had one for a while have any additional commentary as well as info on reticle updates. Also I see people make mention of blurred images up close due to native magnification. Anyone one have any image examples of what this looks like at 10-20yds? My primary use would be hog hunting and varmint shooting. Playing with ideas but may set this up on a 300 B.O SBR that will be suppressed and also wanted input on "zeroing" on this scope across different loads or different rifle platforms. Also, could you mount an offset MRDS with this scope (I am left handed). Currently I have a magnified objective up top on 300 for more precise shooting and MRDS offset on side. Thanks in advance!!
I have been running the HALO and HALO LR for over a year, mainly hog eradication work but the occasional yote too. Both are GREAT units and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase either. If most of your shooting will be sub 100yds, HALO is my suggestion. If farther shots or need for long range ID, get the LR. I shoot the LR on an AR10 and scan with the 25mm HALO, might seem backwards but there’s a rhyme to reason of why i/we do it this way—larger fov scanning and if more magnification is needed for a positive ID, just put the gun with the LR on em. Again, both are outstanding scopes and really can’t go wrong with either.