• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Halo-XRF: Issues->Resolutions

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
We have seen some comments here and their regarding issues with particular XRF units, and rather than scattering topics around, it would be helpful to consolidate them.

Back when the Halo-LR first came out, it wasn't without it's growing pains. There was a thread that was started to consolidate customer needs, wants, problems, solutions, etc. Considering some XRF units have had problems, and @Max_R 's participation here is fairly regular, I think we would all benefit from a productive conversation around what we're seeing with real world examples.

To be clear, this is not a bashing thread. Let's be civilized and professional, share thoughts and feedback, or ask questions that N-Vision can elaborate on.

On to the meat of it...

From my observations and customer experiences, here's what I'm seeing from a small subset:
- Device Lock-Up requiring removal of batteries to reset
- LRF reading 7-11 yards consistently in high precip conditions (humidity, rain, etc).

Any other issue is an outlier and inconsistent across our customer base. That is not to say other problems don't exist, but rather they fall outside of SOK purview.

In addition, there have been requests for enhancements, of note:
- Reticle lock out in polar opposite of pallet (black hot, white reticle)
- Ballistic software included in the HUD

What am I missing? What questions would you like answered by N-Vision as it relates to the XRF as a product, feature and function?

Thanks,
Preston

Greetings,

I've also been testing an XRF unit since rough mid-December. This one had the new software config on the LRF. There was one morning before dawn when I was facing "frozen mist" (I'm not a weatherman sergeant major :D ) i.e. white mist in the air, but could still make out hill tops > 1km. In those conditions, the XRF was returning 11-13 yds, in all directions, including straight up at the sky, EXCEPT when I pointed it horizontal downwind I got 22-27yd returns.

Had Bushy arc elite 1600 out also (circa 2014) was able to range evergreens out to 709yds.

Had Leica 3500 out also (circa 2020) was able to range out to 347yds on evergreens, max.

Conditions were snow on the ground, not snowing currently,
Temp 6F (per porch thermo)
Windchill -25F (per weather.com)
Humidity 88% (per weather.com)

==
Later that day it snowed more, after the snow stopped (in the day) when out and got.

XRF 657yds off evergreen
Leica 1115yds off clump of cotton woods on a hill side
Bushy 703yds (same tree as the 709 range, but me standing in different spot)

==
Those were the toughest conditions I ranged in during my testing. Otherwise, I was able to range fine at night, out to 509yds off a bale in my pasture ... and close in, with no issues ... with the XRF.

No lockups or other issues either.

This one had the new software config on the LRF.
How do you know it has the new software?

Mine has ranging issues as well, but I don't want to send it in as I have a hunt coming up and don't want to risk the unit being under repair while I go. For hogs, it's good enough. Coyotes at home...different story.

i will copy this over from the other thread since i wasnt really sure where to put my results. i can understand frustration with equipment you spend hard earned money on and i just wanted to offer that i think from what i seen, that the update corrected some issues.

"So I have been testing a xrf with the latest software/firmware update. I have put some solid time in testing this unit out with as many variables in terms of weather, terrain, targets, animals that i could come up with. My testing included temps down to near zero and included mechanical zero retention, performance of all aspects of the electronics, batteries, internal recording and the lrf. I had zero instances where the range finder didn't perform to my expectations. I was able to visibly check the collimation and beam divergence with g3 nv devices. It was spot on to the aim box internally. The beam is overall very small in height and somewhat wider much like the radius lrf. I had zero issues in light rain, snow and light fog. i was able to take my furthest night coyote at 523yd with this unit after ranging it in misty rain. As a side note the reticle stayed opposite polarity of the target even when holding 2.3 mil above target.

I do not own this xrf so no vested interest as it was simply provided for me to test and evaluate it. I do own a halo LR and truly had no intentions of moving away from it until a workable collimated clip on comes on scene but after running this unit for nearly a month i will be honest and do want one...lol.

For those of you with issues i can only surmise this software/firmware update will resolve your issues with lrf performance if you are having issue.

Hope this helps some."

Those were the toughest conditions I ranged in during my testing. Otherwise, I was able to range fine at night, out to 509yds off a bale in my pasture ... and close in, with no issues ... with the XRF.
Are you saying that 509 was max range the XRF would hit on a consistent basis in normal conditions? Or did I misunderstand that?

509 is as far as I can range under any conditions in the area around my wintering pasture and chickens. We live along a creek - in a bowl. When I was ranging out farther, I had gone up on top of a hill. But in general, 500-ish is as far as I'm gonna shoot critters at night.

So here's my experience. I haven't been shy about voicing my opinion with my other two threads, but I'll try to lump a timeline of just facts and observations together in 1 spot here. My experience involves 5 separate X-Series scopes so this will be long, I apologize. There is a summary at the bottom.

In early Nov i went hunting with a group of guys and two of them had XRF's. I looked through them, played with the LRF, and myself and a buddy each wrote a check for one the next day. We got them from the same dealer and they left N-Vision in the same shipment. (I'll call my scope #3 and my buddies #4.) Both of those two scopes, I'll call them #1 and #2, were working perfect and ranging 1k+ yds at the time. The weather was "normal" for what we've been having. 40-50*f and no noticable moisture in the air.

I received scope #3 later that week. I have line of sight to houses 1.75 miles away by just walking into my back yard, so that's where I headed. I knew within 5 minutes of turning the scope on that there was a problem. I was getting readings of 10-12 yds on a regular basis. Occasionally I would get an accurate reading on an object at 400 yds or so, but a second attempt would produce another 10-12yd reading. The max range I was able to hit was ~600yds. The conditions were "normal" and it was dark out at the time. I called the next morning and was told they knew about the issue, but that it rarely happened, and only under very specific conditions and I should be good to go most of the time. They were working on a solution as we spoke.

I went hunting the following weekend. The scope started working the same as it previously did, but after 30 minutes or so it just stayed on 10-12 nearly all the time. I tried turning it on and off and going between 1 shot and continuous ranging modes. It randomly would throw out an odd number, but I finally just shut the LRF completely off.
Scopes #2 and #4 worked perfect for the first 4hrs. They ranged 1kyds and beyond at will. Before we quit, guy #2 commented that his was now producing 10-12 readings also. The weather was normal. 30-40 degrees and no noticable humidity or moisture in the air.

I went to the range the next morning to check dope and to confirm the subtensions of the Mil reticle on various magnifications. I was unable to shoot heated steel beyond 300yds because I couldn't figure out how to get a white reticle that was visible over the black hot steel. The subtensions are very accurate. On 4x they perfectly line up with long hashes being 1 mil and short hashes being .5 mil. On 8x they are .25 and .5 mil respectively.

I called the following Monday and explained that the LRF was completely inop and was told they had a software fix and could turn an XRF around in 2-3 days in shop. I also asked how to set it so the reticle was white on black hot and was told it wasn't an option. I sent scope #3 in for repair immediately and later that week scope #2 was sent in by the owner also.

Scopes #2 and #3 were returned from N-vision at the same time, roughly 18 days later door to door. N-Vision paid shipping both ways.

I went back to the yard after receiving it and immediately noticed that it still didn't work, except the 10-12yd readings had been replaced by the "no range" - - - reading. I went back outside 30 minutes later and it started ranging cattle @ 1.2k yds. Conditions were normal, with no noticable change between the two tests.

At some point I learned that they were already working on another software revision while mine was there, but mine was updated to a previous revision that was known to still have problems.

At one point I went out during the day to test the LRF because I was told the problems only happened at night. It worked better, but I could still confuse it by ranging any object that might reflect 2 different beams. Ranging 2 trees side by side or an object on a far hill that was over and behind a smaller hill for example. I was out with it during the day a few other times also to make vids and such. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Later that week we had some foggy conditions during the day. I took my XRF, my Vortex HD-5000's and my small Leopold out side by side. The XRF failed to produce any reading other than - - -. The range on the Vortex and Leopold were both significantly reduced to 20% of normal. They also each returned a few readings that were obviously wrong. The HD-5000's were able to range a tree row at 400yds that I couldn't even see. The only reason I was able to range it is because I knew it was there.

The following week I went back out with my scope #3 and scope #4. My LRF was completely inop with - - - readings all night long except for a brief 10 minute period after the wind switched directions when it began producing readings out to around 1k yds. It quit working again shortly later. Afterwords the guy with scope #4 commented that his was was now reading 8-10yds. 5 minutes later it returned to normal. This is the only time #4 has misbehaved. Conditions were colder that night with a front moving in. No noticable moisture in the air.

I went out with XRF #3 once more after Christmas. A different friend borrowed my Pulsar Trail 2 XQ50 LRF and came with. I had already mounted a SilencerCo Radius on my rifle, but I tried the XRF a few times and it was completely inop. The Pulsar worked normal. Conditions were 20-30* and no noticable moisture.

I checked my zero the next day and found it had moved over an inch low. I mounted it to my scope sled and confirmed the BOBRO mount would RTZ. I zero'd it onto a target at 100yds and removed it from the sled. I warmed it up in front of a heater and the reticle had moved .5" low when I put it back on the sled. I removed it and placed it in the freezer. The reticle moved 1" high when I placed it back on the sled. I had originally zero'd in warm weather, then found it ~1.5" low in cold weather. My test seemed to confirm that my zero would move with a temp in weather, but I did no further testing to prove it 100%. It's possible that heat was transferring through the aluminum mount between the scope and the sled, causing the mount to momentarily "warp" do to the temperature difference of the sled it was clamped to.

On a side note, I put the original day scope/rings combo back on the rifle for more testing. That scope has been sitting on a shelf for 1.5yrs since it was zero'd and the rifle has had the barrel removed from the action twice to polish/clean the chamber to fix a feeding issue. The first 3 shots printed a .25" group less than 1 click to the right of the bullseye. This is consistant with my other rifles after having the scopes/barrels removed. I believe the zero shift I experienced was caused by something with the N-Vision/BoBro combo, not the rifle.

I returned XRF #3 to N-Vision shortly after New years. I have no further info on it.

I went out with my Pulsar begining of January and and scope #4 worked perfect all night long. The guy with scope #2 commented that his LRF would still quit working and that the previous week it had locked up on him in cold temps. No buttons would work. He finally removed the batteries for 5 minutes and it began functioning again. The Pulsar worked normally all night. Conditions were the same as usual.

I went out one more time last weekend. Scope #2, #4 and a fifth X50 scope that was 2 weeks old were along. Scope #4 worked perfect all night. Scope #2 commented that he noticed that the longer his was powered on, the more likely the LRF was to quit working. Guy #5 asked me to look through his. He had at least 5 clusters of pixels that were lit up full brightness. Each cluster was the size of a coyote @5-600yds. He said it was like that the first time he powered it on after purchase. I told him there was a tool to fix blind pixels, but that I didn't want to mess something up and thought he had more serious problems. He said he would talk to his dealer.

To summarize.... Lol.

Scope #1 worked perfect the one time I was around it.

Scope #2 works fine 80% of the time. The early December update didn't fix the LRF. It also bricks in colder temperatures until the batteries are pulled.

Scope #3 LRF has failed to work over 95% of the time it's been turned on while in the same, side by side weather conditions as 2 other scopes that worked. I probably had 20+hrs of use on it. I doubt it worked for more than 30 minutes total. It started out with the same software as #4, then was updated at the same time as #2. It has never bricked. Everything else about the scope worked as designed.

Scope #4 has exceeded nearly any expectations you could have. The image is awesome, (as it was on the other XRF's also). The range of the LRF is more than adequate and it has performed nearly flawlessly.

Scope #5 is not a LRF model. It has had several, large, bright clusters of pixels since it was new. It is only a few weeks old.

That's all the info I have and I'm sick of typing. I'm going off memory for most of this. I wouldn't be surprised if my sequence is off or I omitted something of importance.

Derrick D.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS and BigSkyRF
We have seen some comments here and their regarding issues with particular XRF units, and rather than scattering topics around, it would be helpful to consolidate them.

Back when the Halo-LR first came out, it wasn't without it's growing pains. There was a thread that was started to consolidate customer needs, wants, problems, solutions, etc. Considering some XRF units have had problems, and @Max_R 's participation here is fairly regular, I think we would all benefit from a productive conversation around what we're seeing with real world examples.

To be clear, this is not a bashing thread. Let's be civilized and professional, share thoughts and feedback, or ask questions that N-Vision can elaborate on.

On to the meat of it...

From my observations and customer experiences, here's what I'm seeing from a small subset:
- Device Lock-Up requiring removal of batteries to reset
- LRF reading 7-11 yards consistently in high precip conditions (humidity, rain, etc).

Any other issue is an outlier and inconsistent across our customer base. That is not to say other problems don't exist, but rather they fall outside of SOK purview.

In addition, there have been requests for enhancements, of note:
- Reticle lock out in polar opposite of pallet (black hot, white reticle)
- Ballistic software included in the HUD

What am I missing? What questions would you like answered by N-Vision as it relates to the XRF as a product, feature and function?

Thanks,
Preston
I got mine from the PX a couple months ago. The seller sent it to Nvision for the firmware upgrade who then sent it on to me. So mine has the latest firmware. I haven't had any problems at all. The LRF has been reliable on livestock out to about 700yds. Buildings out to 1000yds. Way farther than I could shoot confidently at night. This was over snow covered ground and at times light snowfall. For future enhancement the reticle lock in polar opposite would be a welcome change. And ballistic software in the HUD would be a huge deal.
I'm pretty happy so far with mine.

Went out last night for a nuisance job and we killed 6 coyotes with stand one being a quad. Temps were down to near zero. Ran the xrf powered on all night and it rode in the truck box never seeing warmth all night. Killed coyotes from 58yd to 340yd. Ranged coyotes in the open tundra ass fields here at 724yds. Never missed a beat. Took one coyote with a head shot at 180yd. I can say the zero was spot on coming from my 70f safe to 1-2F temps all night. Not even a hiccup. Battery dropped one notch after 6hr in those temps which I was amazed at. I keep trying to make something not work on this scope but thus far it runs like a Swiss watch. I will post up some vids to YouTube later when I pull them.

9F3E9DB8-EC48-4FDE-AF4E-7EE6F9C0D6E5.jpeg

N-Vision has not been good to me.

I started with a Halo LR that I purchased and it had a blurry image out of the box. Notified Preston on a Sunday and he assured me it would be taken care of asap. Sent it to NVision and they fixed it quickly and returned it.

Then I purchased two XRF’s. One would lock up intermittently. I had to pull the batteries to reset it. The other XRF the laser range finder didn't work consistently.

I talked to Chris at Nvision. He said we have a software upgrade that will fix everything. Sent both XRF’s back. They returned doing the same thing!

Next I complained to my dealer (Strickly Offensive Kit) and Preston was kind enough to swap me for one of his in stock XRF’s for the one of mine that locked up.

The replacement XRF I received from SOK the LRF didnt work. Was put back in touch with Chris at Nvision and he said send it in we have software that will fix it.

After going back and forth with Nvision Chris, he admitted they have an issue with the LRF’s and he would contact me asap when they had a solution. I asked him to please contact me when there is a solution and I dont want to read about it on the forums.

A couple weeks later I read a post by Max on Snipers Hide that they had a fix. Chris never did contact me. I got a hold of him.

I also went ahead and purchased a Nox 18 and it powers off at random times. It doesnt happen often but it does do it.

I have tried several different KeepPower batteries and the problems continue. I’ve spent over $30,000 on N-Vision products and I wish I hadn’t.

That story above has been my cut and paste to the several people that have asked me about the issues I’ve had with N-Vision products.

As of today this is where Im at. I just received back one of the XRF’s that was shipped in and received the latest “software upgrade”

This is what the screen looked like when I powered it on and looked into the display.

2PR3PY.jpg

The line disappears for about 10-15 seconds when NUC’d and then slowly begins to reappear. The debris in the lower left is inside the scope.

• Sad
Reactions: DIBBS
So far, 1 documented scope from all that have XRF scopes here that seems to work 100%.
Not a good track record so far, but that always leaves a lot of room for improvement.
I've learned to wait a year or two for new products to be tested by others, after being a test subject for another thermal manufacturer years ago and having to deal with all of the issues that a scope shouldn't have when leaving the factory.
I promised myself not to buy another optic that didn't have a metal housing and manual NUC, but was going to put that aside when the X models came out.
Didn't want to wait in line, didn't want to tie up a large amount of funds while waiting, but wanted a scope with BAE inside, so I bought an XG50 and have been happy with it so far.
I'll sit on the sidelines saving my pennies until these issues get resolved.

The calibration button on mine stopped working just after getting it. Sent it in and got it back about a week or so later (without it for my year's vaca sadly). LRF hasn't worked most of the time. Apparently the calibration was repaired but the LRF update wasn't applied when they had it in. Had an LR that constantly did the freeze/lock up.

Both of my scopes held zero 100% and I really appreciated that. After much debate I am moving away from NVision.

LRF hasn't worked most of the time.
Is yours as bad as scope #3 that I described?

LRF reading 7-11 yards consistently in high precip conditions (humidity, rain, etc)
There seems to be some miscommunication/misconception about when the problem occurs or maybe people are experiencing 2 separate issues.

I asked them if mine had been tested before being returned to me after I sent it in for being completely inop. The answer I received was that it was tested, but it was hard to duplicate the conditions I was in. This left me confused and irritated because scope #3 wouldn't work properly when it was sunny, dark, cold, warm, foggy, or clear out. It wouldn't range a pickup from 50yds away for 95% of the time it was turned on. It was still evident there was an issue the remaining 5% of the time. I'm not sure how those conditions couldn't be duplicated.

Ksracer I'd say it's similar. It's probably worked around 40% of the time with sometimes giving erroneous readings. Reads 6 yards the majority of the time I've had it out but I've been disgruntled and haven't used it much.

So another night out with late December 2021 XLR purchase. Also another range session just to confirm zero. Return to zero using bobro mount on both rifles. Temp was 27-35 yesterday. 1 set of 18650 2 bars left. On for about 5 hours I’d say. 15-20 times ranging. No issues. Some were in heavy woods on rabbits to just see if I could get through. Those ranges were 35-45y. I’ll put batteries on charge and see what the
read later today. Will post results.

I am enjoying my new Halo XRF. I especially like the rangefinder and onboard recording which have worked flawlessly so far. I have ranged deer and hogs over 500 yards. Only issue i have found is that i purchased 2 spare sets of batteries Nitecore ( NL1834 and NL1835 ) 18650 batteries Instead of the KeepPower. The Nitecore batteries are a tad bit longer than the KeepPower 18650 batteries and will not electrically function in my Halo XRF.

When I put the Keeppower 18650 (3500mAh) in my Xtar charger one read 20% and 40%. Very impressed with the battery life considering it was high 20s at night and during the day at the range it was in the high 30s.

When I put the Keeppower 18650 (3500mAh) in my Xtar charger one read 20% and 40%. Very impressed with the battery life considering it was high 20s at night and during the day at the range it was in the high 30s.

i was floored by the battery life recently. hunting for 6-7hr straight in near zero temps and the battery dropped one bar all night. that was running it powered and in and out of the back of a truck all night. it never seen warmth.

Reactions: patriotunknown
I have had my xrf down here in TX for my annual hog eradication trip. Honestly, the image in the XRF is good, but the reticle, rangefinder, and the unit locking up has been annoying to say the least. Luckily, the hunting has been subpar, so it hasn't really cost me any shots at critters. I was a little worried having read this thread, but I hopeful that mine wouldn't have these issues. I did talk to a buddy of mine and he said his did the same thing, but had an update done to it and it has been good ever since. I will send this unit in when I get done down here.

Took my XRF out last night. It was cold, windchill down in to the low teens. It worked just fine. Ranged trees out to ~800yds. No coyotes though. Saw something in the oak tree at 228yds that I have no idea what it was. The last pic is it descending out of the tree to the ground. The way it moved thought it might be a badger?? The house pic was just for reference.

Attachments

• photo-0.jpg
    photo-0.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 140
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 142
  • photo-12 (2).jpg
    photo-12 (2).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 147
Another issue I noticed is that the video recording sometimes records in the "edge detection" mode instead of what you are viewing through your scope? Anyone else had this issue? Or did I hit the wrong button?

I do wish they would send a full user manual with the scope as well, be nice to have one to reference when you don't have service. I suppose I could just print one and put it in a binder or something.

Does anyone have their XRF mounted on a left-hand bolt gun?

We the XRF mounted on my left-hand gun I am not able to operate the bolt. The LRF gets in the way.

ADM has a pic riser mount. I would be curious to know if that may move stuff up enough to run the bolt.

I have an email in the Nvision and ADM however, has anyone else run into a similar issue?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, REPORT:

Over the past 4 months, we've been working with N-Vision, to understand and address three known issues:

01 - LRF failing to produce correct results
02 - Screen locking up/crashing
03 - Loss of zero

I'll take these one at a time:

01 - LRF failing to produce correct results:
Based on the data I've seen this situation arose in November 2021 with a new more sensitive batch of LRF hardware being received by N-Vision. The units were actually within spec, but were more sensitive to the point that this caused 26 units to fail. Basically they were ranging off particles in the air, due to the enhanced sensitivity. This resulted in results including distances like 11 yards, even when in an open field. Even when aiming the unit up into the sky.
The solution was to adjust the software to encompass the full range of in spec LRF sensitivities. This change was made in early december.
KSE and I "joined" the extended field test team and have been testing multiple units since mid-Dec. KSE focused his testing on his normal use case which is coyote hunts, half to full nights, avg 3 times per week. He can speak for himself, but he's had zero failures during 4 months of testing.
I focused on "edge case" testing, finding the performance edges. Ranging in the rain, snow, frozen mist, ranging thru woods, etc. And I did observe degraded performance in some of these cases. I ran side by side with Lieca and Bushy range finders. They also exhibited degraded performance in these conditions ... and we should expect ANY LRF to get degraded performance in these conditions.
I was able to range, at night, as far out as 1600yds on grass hill sides around me in Kansas. And that's consistent with the results I get on most range finders, such as the Lieca and Bushy.

02 - Screen Locking up/crashing
This problem was separate but also got fixed in early Dec. The BAE cores in the N-VIsion thermals are really great. And we find them in the Trijicon thermals and the OASYS thermals, and others (the Voodoo-s for instance). But they aren't perfect. WIth cores like FLIR, additional information can be displayed on the screen, separate from the core. WIth the BAE cores, they want to be connected directly to the display and there's no allowance to get another input signal in there. So you have to manage all info being shown on the display thru the core. And these cores weren't designed to display BOOKS of info or to have that info updated really really fast.
This phenomena was also observed with the mk2 and mk3s back in the day, where scrolling thru the menu too quickly would lock up/crash the unit.
The trick in both case, was to ever so slightly, reduce the update cycle time, to prevent the crash.
I have observed zero freezing or crashes in the XRFs I've tested since mid-Dec.

03 - Loss of zero.
This is actually an "illusion" and really applies to ALL thermal weapons sights.
If you zero on 1x digital, you are essentially selecting on pixel that you are zeroed on.
Then if you dial up to 2x digital that one pixel becomes 4 pixels and the software picks one of those 4 and if you are looking carefully you can barely perceive the reticle "jumping". Yes it does move, but its still zeroed.
One thing you can do is zero at the highest digital magnification you will shoot from (I usually use 4x). That way you are removing the choice from the software. You are making the choice.
But you're still zeroed either way.

Summary:
So, based on testing, in field conditions, in rural Ohio and rural Kansas, since early Dec, we have observed no issues with the XRF, other than normal degredation we would expect from any LRF.
Further, based on data from N-Vision, the frequency of XRF reported issues per week has been less than 2% of units shipped per week, on avg, since mid-Dec. And that's ALL issues, perceived, real, LRF related, LRF unrelated, etc. which is deemed within tolerance.
So, after 4 months of testing and observing issue reports, we can report that the data indicates the XRF issues have been addressed.
Happy to discuss further on voice if desired. PM me for my phone #
Thanks !

That was the most in-depth explanation of issues and the resolutions to those issues I have ever seen related to any thermal issues.

Very professionally and factually done. Kudos Wig for straight forth insight and answers.

Plus I even learned some unique stuff about the BAE and Flir cores related to how they connect to the display and handle data. That was very educational and interesting. (y)

I had issues with my N-Vision LRF scopes as posted here. My thermal dealer Strictly Offensive Kit was OUTSTANDING with their customer service. Im not exaggerating one bit either. How about replying to TEXT messages on a Sunday morning when my Halo LR went bad after the very first night I used it. Preston did just that!

Joe aka Wigwamitus probably doesn't know this but he helped me out many, many years ago with thermal questions on various setups. At that time he wasn't selling anything, he just helped by answering all my questions and there was a lot of them trust me.

My struggles with N-Vision are posted above. I'm posting here to say for the most part they have been resolved. My issues were powering off and the lrf not working correctly on TWO LRF's!

I'm not going to lie, it was a pain in the ass and I regretted my purchases but after several exchanges with N-Vision and SOK holding my hand I eventually received working scopes. They work as they should now and I am happy.

I'm confident in saying N-Vision figured it out and I'll also say they may want to consider adopting Joe's customer service skills.

I had issues with my N-Vision LRF scopes as posted here. My thermal dealer Strictly Offensive Kit was OUTSTANDING with their customer service. Im not exaggerating one bit either. How about replying to TEXT messages on a Sunday morning when my Halo LR went bad after the very first night I used it. Preston did just that!

Joe aka Wigwamitus probably doesn't know this but he helped me out many, many years ago with thermal questions on various setups. At that time he wasn't selling anything, he just helped by answering all my questions and there was a lot of them trust me.

My struggles with N-Vision are posted above. I'm posting here to say for the most part they have been resolved. My issues were powering off and the lrf not working correctly on TWO LRF's!

I'm not going to lie, it was a pain in the ass and I regretted my purchases but after several exchanges with N-Vision and SOK holding my hand I eventually received working scopes. They work as they should now and I am happy.

I'm confident in saying N-Vision figured it out and I'll also say they may want to consider adopting Joe's customer service skills.

Thank you for the kind words and support. It can be frustrating when electronics don’t work as expected, especially expensive brand new ones. Thanks for being patient while we worked towards a solution 👍

i feel wig covered the data points of the testing we were doing. i can say without a doubt i used the xrf to its full potential in terms of conditions, temps, time and any other variables i could induce. the unit seen hundreds of rounds fired, well over a thousand LRF readings checked and multitude of videos recorded and during that time and i can say i never once had a single issue with any feature.

I have had my nvision halo xrf for about a month now. The image is amazing. HOWEVER, I initially had an issue with the video causing the thermal to lock up…couldn’t power down. I took out the batteries and put em back in a while later and it worked fine. This has happened a few times now. However (again), I went hunting last night, and it locked up again. Now, it is completely bricked. The unit turns on, and you can see through it, but none of the controls are visible and it won’t power down again…ugh!!!!

I have enjoyed my Halo XRF, especially the video recording my hog hunts this year. Hopefully N Vision will get you going quick and can get back to hunting. One thing I would like to see improved is the long startup time when turning on the thermal.

They’ve already called me this morning. They’re chatting w engineers and said they’ll get back w me this morning. I sure hope this issue can be fixed as I love the scope…when it’s working.

They're STILL having locking up issue huh? What a shame. They’ve been aware of it for at least a year now.

After using civilian and Mil spec thermals for several decades, there hasn't been one civilian brand that didn't have some type of glitch.
Usually those issues arose after some field use.
It's an very sensitive electronic thing mounted of top of a firearm that's being subjected to recoil and harsh environments, so what could go wrong ?
That's why I always have a back up rig or optic ready to go.
Does that cost money, Yes, but it's gets me back in the hunt and that's priceless.
Hopefully the N-Vis CS team will have you back in the field soon.

SJC

I bought 2 XRFs about 6 weeks ago. 1 lasted about 30 seconds and completely died. Had to send it back for repair. I expected a replacement as opposed to repairing this new defective unit. They “repaired“ it and returned it over 2+ weeks later. I didn’t trust a repaired unit and sold both of them. My money has gone to EOTech now. They aren’t perfect either. Customer service is dead. Hopefully someone will bring a better product to market and support it.

I bought 2 XRFs about 6 weeks ago. 1 lasted about 30 seconds and completely died. Had to send it back for repair. I expected a replacement as opposed to repairing this new defective unit. They “repaired“ it and returned it over 2+ weeks later. I didn’t trust a repaired unit and sold both of them. My money has gone to EOTech now.
Sucks, don't it?

Everybody brags about the Warranty and CS, but in my opinion, that is there to handle problems that come up down the road. It's a different ball game when the unit wasn't in working condition when it left the factory. A 2-3 week repair might be considered an excellent resolution on a 2yr old unit but it doesn't cut it on a brand new one.

I'm loving my EoTech. I can't comment on their CS, primarily because I didn't need to call them the day after receiving it.

Last edited:
Man I wanted one of these, but reading this gives me pause. I may have to keep buying batteries for my Reap 60.

I've had no issues with my X50(As long as I tighten the battery compartment), so there has to be an issue with the LRF software integration.
Loved my Reap, but got rid of it and any other optic I had that used 123's.
SJC

Is anybody else having issues with the LRF quitting when the scope gets cold?

A local friend of mine bought a new one 3 weeks ago and sent it in because the LRF quit after it got cold. Putting it inside the truck would get it working again. It's still doing the same thing after being returned from warranty.

I just touched base with one of my other local friends who was having issues at the same time I did last year. He said him and his hunting partner have both been running a hot-hands taped to the side to keep them going because of the exact same problem.

Last edited:
s anybody else having issues with the LRF quitting when the scope gets cold?
yes. The rangefinder on mine has been the most sporadic, which is frustrating. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it works it really is awesome, but when it doesn't...you know. My "budget" pulsar scanner with the rangefinder has been more reliable, although clunky to use.

I solved some of this just by shooting a really flat cartridge out to about 350-400 so I can pretty much hold on the critter and get em. An 87 grain vmax out of the ol 6 Creed is pretty flat to about that range. Mine doesn't work about 2-3 times out of 10 I have it out, so I haven't reached a frustration level with it yet to warrant sending it back.

Reactions: Ksracer
“One thing you can do is zero at the highest digital magnification you will shoot from (I usually use 4x). That way you are removing the choice from the software. You are making the choice.
But you're still zeroed either way.”
You are extremely knowable and I believe you have the wisdom I seek lol.

If I never shoot beyond my 4X Zoom on my XRF while in the field (coyote hunter only) do you believe the most accurate zero would be achieved on 4x while I’m zeroing my rifle ? The reason I ask is because I will zero on 8x and only shoot at 4x even at distance.

Note my XRF after having the range finder fixed has been phenomenal and holds half minute accuracy out to distance 👍