• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Ham Radio Contact

Wife and self taking the Tech exam 12 Dec 20. If we'd known that if we had known we could immediately take the Gen, we would've been studying for it for the past month :D ... now we have a week to study for the gen ... and we're pounding on it ... if we fail it won't be for lack of trying !!

I picked up a used IC 7100 ... now trying to figure out what antenna to try to set up first for it. If one of us passes the gen, will want to explore down to 80m ... and that will require a hecque of an antenna !!! A quarter wave will be longer than the house ! We live in rural so we have options for a longer antenna.
For your first HF antenna I recommend a multi-band dipole like the Alpha-Delta DX-CC, covers 80 to 10 meters, is easy to put up, get the center up about 30 to 50 ft at the apex in a tree or on a tower. Tie the ends of a fence post or another tree just above head height. Feed it with RG-8 type coax. You'll work the world. Especially now that the solar flux is coming back and the bands are opening up again.

Reactions: wigwamitus
For your first HF antenna I recommend a multi-band dipole like the Alpha-Delta DX-CC, covers 80 to 10 meters, is easy to put up, get the center up about 30 to 50 ft at the apex in a tree or on a tower. Tie the ends of a fence post or another tree just above head height. Feed it with RG-8 type coax. You'll work the world. Especially now that the solar flux is coming back and the bands are opening up again.

How well does it work without an antenna tuner?

How well does it work without an antenna tuner?
On 80 mtrs, not so good, you can tune it for a small piece of the band, on 40 and above it will cover the whole band under 2:1 SWR or even lower as you go higher. It's nearly impossible to find an 80 mtr antenna the covers the WHOLE band. The ones that do are VERY large cage type dipoles. I have a double bazooka type 80 mtr that does pretty well but doesn't cover it all. You'll need a radio with a tuner or get a cheap external one.

Reactions: Alpine 338
For any going to DC on the 6th.

My friend has made a wires-x room avalable.

On wires-x system fusion AC5V ROOM.

On fm analog #45530 for the dtmf mode.

It will be round Robin and not logged.

KI5MDI

You are being redirected...

So, this would be an inverted "V", right ??

We do have a 60 ft Rohn tower, I could get the Apex up to 40-ish feet without a boom truck. Then I could mount the ends on poles/trees. So that's do-able. Then need to drill (another) hole in the house for the feed wire.

Wound up getting an IC-7100 with an LDG IT-100 for first radio.

==
EDIT,
read the install instructions for the DX-CC

http://www.alphadeltaradio.com/pdf/DX-CC, DD, EE, LB, LB Plus Instructions-10.pdf

It says must be at least 20 feet away from metal roof, etc. (we have metal roof) ... so that will require some measuring. To see if I can get it ~35 feet off the ground AND 20 feet from the roof AND there is a (metal) propane tank that would then be near-ish to one end of the "V" ... so don't want to be near that either ! I assume 20+ feet from that. Will have to do a site check !! :D

Last edited:
So, this would be an inverted "V", right ??

We do have a 60 ft Rohn tower, I could get the Apex up to 40-ish feet without a boom truck. Then I could mount the ends on poles/trees. So that's do-able. Then need to drill (another) hole in the house for the feed wire.

Wound up getting an IC-7100 with an LDG IT-100 for first radio.

==
EDIT,
read the install instructions for the DX-CC

http://www.alphadeltaradio.com/pdf/DX-CC, DD, EE, LB, LB Plus Instructions-10.pdf

It says must be at least 20 feet away from metal roof, etc. (we have metal roof) ... so that will require some measuring. To see if I can get it ~35 feet off the ground AND 20 feet from the roof AND there is a (metal) propane tank that would then be near-ish to one end of the "V" ... so don't want to be near that either ! I assume 20+ feet from that. Will have to do a site check !! :D
Yes, that's an inverted V. Put a pulley at the top of your tower and run a rope through it. Then put the tower up and just pull the dipole up and down as needed. You'll be hauling it up and down a bunch at first to get it tuned. Keep in mind the bandwidth on 80/75 is small while the other bands should be OK. The LDG tuner will solve any SWR problems.
Keep it away from large metal like the roof and tank.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Unless you are interested in digital modes, id get a Yaesu FT60R or a VX6R. Just be sure and get the programming cable for it.
I found a nice Kenwood but now it’s no longer made. Icom has one that looks perfect at $450 ish but it’s on preorder. Guess I’ll look at those Yaesu.

What are your goals with this HT?
Well, I wanted a 50w truck mount but the wife won’t let me install it and said to get a handheld instead. I want a robust but capable dual/tri mode with features I can grow into. Think of it like a Vortex Razor or NF nsx scope. I want a buy once cry once robust non commie made radio. Does Motorola make Ham stuff or Harris? My father had his commercial license so we never dabbled in HAM.

Motorola public service radios can be programmed to cover 2m/70cm depending on the HT, but it's more trouble than worth. Programming is a pain, and you won't necessarily get the features a good HT designed for the amateur bands will give you.

Harris is way out of touch and not cost effective, and would be the same as Motorola as far as features.

I haven't played around with Harris since my military days, but they are pretty bomb proof.

Motorola is a pretty rugged product, at least their public service radios are. I accedently dropped one off a 60-ft tower, and it hit a concrete slab at the bottom of the tower. The battery pack went flying off of it, and it had a small dent in one of the corners. Believe it or not, it still worked, with the only problem being the speaker audio was real weak. It went back to Motorola for service.

You can do a temp mount for the mobile and the only thing attached would be a power cord.

A yaesu ftm-300dr has a removable face and the unit can be (hidden) you have researched enough to know 5w is not going to cut it.

Consider the 50w mobile / base unit a rifle and the 5w ht a sidearm.

Both good tools.

@Sean the Nailer

Can you access wires or wires x yet?

Let me know we could talk.

Also Yaesu has excellent factory online tutorials.
I may be able to help with rudimentary questions.

Reactions: Bender
Another vote for the Yeasu. Keep in mind you'll likely end up investing beyond the radio itself with extra batteries, chargers, an upgraded antenna is recommended, maybe a 12v power supply so you can run off your vehicle if the batteries are dead, programming cable, etc. etc.
A solid platform like the Yeasu is worth building around. I never understood using an inferior chinese product around which to invest.

The Yeasu FT-60R can run direct off of a car battery 12-15VDC. The cable is like $5 or $6, and you can wire it into your dash, or a cigarette lighter plug.

Be cautious about some HT radios out there, as they take a lower DC input like 4.5V to operate/charge, and can cause issues if you try to run them directly from a known automotive DC source.

Welp. I went with buy once cry once.

and got the Yeasu FT3 for $380ish

it has GPS and digital capabilities. Picking it up tomorrow.

D275C0CF-CF82-4E40-A881-4F9A2B5EA154.png

@Sean the Nailer

Can you access wires or wires x yet?

Let me know we could talk.

Also Yaesu has excellent factory online tutorials.
I may be able to help with rudimentary questions.
???
Uh, to be clear, I am not an Elmer yet, unless we're talking about the 'Fudd' category.
So, what are you asking me? Are you asking if I have an antenna up yet, for my 'base station'? If so, the answer is 'no'. I have to wait until after the Spring thaw, before we can look at putting up our mast. It's gonna be interesting though.

Or are you asking if I've taken any of my hand-helds apart yet, to look at the pretty wiring? If so, the answer to that too is NO. Resoundingly. HA.

And in particular

Many better tutorials direct from Yaesu USA.

Basically if you have some of the yaesu radios it came with a cable that can plug into a computer that is connected to the internet and use the internet as a repeater to reach the world.

VOICE OVER INTERNET PROTOCOL VIOP.

It can also be done with a repeater that has a node connected to the internet "room"

With the first method only antena you need is a dummy load or little rubber duck on low power setting because the antena is not used but keeps the radio from blowing up.

It's more complicated how it all works but not that hard to set up.

I use repeater to get in at the moment waiting on a new computer.

Will give you some incentive to read up.

I have talked to Japan, Germany and the UK on uhf and vhf with 50w and a 35$ antena.
Directly connected to a computer 1w would work.

alpine44 and I made contact on 40 meters at a little past 2300 utc. While on 40 it seemed to be getting longer as I was talking to guys in Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio, as well as Kentucky. Never heard anything short/close though. Anyone else want to try voice/phone or digital tomorrow? Is anyone else set up for SSTV, also? This is something we could turn into a net, if we could get enough interested. You would need at least a general ticket for the HF bands we would most likely be using. Or do a few different 40 meter nets around the country then switch to 20 to relay info, farther out. Or the reverse,...just throwing stuff out there for consideration. All of us can learn radio from each other, while giving the newer operators a place to learn w/o the std CB'ers that want to chime in an berate new folks. Guessing it would have to be a directed net, but open to everything,....
Even if you don't have a general license should you have an HF, or SW set, you could still listen to gather info as well as net procedures.
What say you?
Would be a good idea to have a net up. I don’t have a license but working towards one half heartedly until recent event. I was a radio operator for Cco 1St recon Bn 87-91, in the teams we used HF with field expedient ant. On patrol.until I read some of the old books on HAM I didn’t realize how much I don’t know.

Snuby, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.

No, my Yaesu radio doesn't do that. And no, my computer is not Windows. I run Linux here, and am looking to never go back to that 'other format' ever again.

As an aside, I have connected my radio's to IRLP and from Winnipeg here, I've talked to Ireland as well as Victoria B.C. Not bad for 2m hand-helds. That works, and is 'neat' and all, but that is still relying on the innerwebz to get around. Which will work as long as they're up and running. (I don't want a doomsday scenario)

We are in the (slow) process of setting up our own comm's, here. It's been an interest for quite some time, and we're actually getting there.

I agree windows sucks.
Thats one reason I have been going through repeaters instead of direct.

So I briefly read about IRLP and much the same as wires and the Yaesu wires-x .

I can do dtmf codes to get into analog systems.

Does the system use room #'s ?
As in #21080 America link
#21636 texas nexus
I know a nearly private room
#45530 wanes room.

If on your system you have a room# let me see if I can access it.

Going to see if I can access IRLP.

Give me the local # you can access.

KI5MDI

Anyone here that can help me with IRLP so maybe I can get to @Sean the Nailer ? Seems the IRLP is prevalent in Canada.

Not sure Im doing it right.

Anyone here that can help me with IRLP so maybe I can get to @Sean the Nailer ? Seems the IRLP is prevalent in Canada.

Not sure Im doing it right.
Bear with me, and give me a bit of time. My 'room' is destroyed at the moment, as we've a fairly intensive 'construction' project going on at the moment. Our radio's are sitting on a shelf at the other end of the house right now. I'm hoping/wanting to get back to a reasonable 'lifestyle' here in the next few days.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Reactions: Snuby642
Refreshing this thread - I've been taking the practice tests on the ARRL exam review app and consistently score in the 80's (sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower) on the Technician test. Should be confident by the time I get back CONUS and will schedule a test first opportunity.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
@Chief_Rick

You might start lining up a place to test. Covid has a lot of normal test hosts shut down.

Our Try County ARC has had people come in to test from well over an hours drive since we still operate testing.

I have heard mention of online tests but not checked that out.

Good luck on your test.

@Chief_Rick

You might start lining up a place to test. Covid has a lot of normal test hosts shut down.

Our Try County ARC has had people come in to test from well over an hours drive since we still operate testing.

I have heard mention of online tests but not checked that out.

Good luck on your test.
I have looked up and found a contact but I've not reached out yet. I don't yet have a firm date to be back.
I'll be looking for a place along the MS Gulf Coast - anywhere from Pensacola, FL to NOLA or up into Hattiesburg, MS is doable, depending on testing time.

Well I'm in North Texas so not a lot of help.

Just search amateur radio clubs in your newly expected ao and work outward.

The online testing may be achievable with the connection you now have?

Wife and I passed Gen in Jan, acquired 3 HF radios (IC7100 IC705 Yaesu 991A)
Planned uses
IC7100 base
Yaesu 991A mobile (for her vehicle)
IC705 pack radio for me

Our #1 use case is just ability to communicate if trouble and cell won't work. Out in the rural area we are cell does not work except in the house where we have wireless. But even texting is very spotty outside. So, we convinced ourselves we need ham just for general safety (like if I injure myself out in the pastures or she gets stuck driving around).

Have gotten 2 whip antenna and a tuner for the 7100 ... and an inhouse power supply for the 7100 ... and have done some beacon testing.
Still need more parts to get a real antenna setup to our rohn tower outside, planning on an inverted V.

Waiting on the tuner for the 705.

Still noodling antenna for the 991A.

The way we studied (which I recommend) was to take each of the 35 sub-category tests ... then take practice exams

And then retake the sub-category tests for the questions you missed. Do that for 2 weeks, working on it for 2-ish hours per day and there is no way you can't pass. I missed 2 questions on the gen and she missed 3 (out of 35).

And don't forget, you can take the General if you pass the Technician. So plan to take both the same day. You could probably just study the General and still pass the technician. We studied both.

Reactions: Zeroit
If you're deployed longer than anticipated you could do the online and depending on restrictions operate in country.

Be aware some bandwidth is not available everywhere and "incountry" radios may have them cut out for transmission and in reverse may miss some bandwidth in the USA.

That is how my Yaesu is.

I am a Yaesu fan.

Reactions: Zeroit
Yes, take both at the same time.
You might surprise yourself.
I passed the General before I knew I passed the Technician class..

If you're deployed longer than anticipated you could do the online and depending on restrictions operate in country.

Be aware some bandwidth is not available everywhere and "incountry" radios may have them cut out for transmission and in reverse may miss some bandwidth in the USA.

That is how my Yaesu is.

I am a Yaesu fan.
Me, IC 7300.
Both are a good choice.

Yes I think IC's, Kenwood and Yaesu are all 3 very popular.

I can't compare between them or rate them.

I have not even bothered to use my programming cable as manual entry is easy and no problems have been noted on my Yaesu ftm-300dr.

I can not say the same for a Baofeng ht that I got for close duty operation. It is a miserable pos but will make a short trip cheap.

And don't forget, you can take the General if you pass the Technician. So plan to take both the same day. You could probably just study the General and still pass the technician. We studied both.

Yes - my understanding is that most test locations allow you to take both tests for the same fee. The fee isn't much but I've heard of over achievers passing all 3 in a single test session.

I started studying General / Extra info as I thought if I knew the General info the Tech test would be easy. The content of the tests are quite different so becoming well verse in the info for the General test won't necessarily prepare you for the Tech test. I focused on the Tech info using a free app for my iPhone and passed. Being in study mode I continue with the General studies (same app) and passed it a few weeks later.

I made contact with the sponsor POC yesterday. They are testing in person the first Saturday of every month and walk-ins are welcome.

If offered, I'll take the General exam but I'm not studying for it yet.

I know it's additional fees and time to go back but I want to understand the material. I'm still struggling to comprehend, remember and be able to discuss "frequencies" versus "bands".

VHF/UHF is what I'm interested in initially for mobile use.

Way back when (when I was an electronics technician in the Navy, deployed) before internet and e-mail, I would operate our HF radios on the ship and contact MARS stations to allow sailors to talk to family at home. I would love to have the equipment to do that in the future but that's down the road, and I may change my mind.

I made contact with the sponsor POC yesterday. They are testing in person the first Saturday of every month and walk-ins are welcome.

If offered, I'll take the General exam but I'm not studying for it yet.

I know it's additional fees and time to go back but I want to understand the material. I'm still struggling to comprehend, remember and be able to discuss "frequencies" versus "bands".

VHF/UHF is what I'm interested in initially for mobile use.

Way back when (when I was an electronics technician in the Navy, deployed) before internet and e-mail, I would operate our HF radios on the ship and contact MARS stations to allow sailors to talk to family at home. I would love to have the equipment to do that in the future but that's down the road, and I may change my mind.
I'm sure you'll do fine, most of the questions on the General test were quite similar to the Technician.
I did take a non programmable calculator and never used it, although your tests will be different than mine.
You will probably learn more after you get your ticket(s) especially when you start buying station equipment.
Alot is geared towards what bands/frequencies you want to be able to operate on, example would be antennas.
Same stuff applies to mobile and handheld.
Good luck and have fun!!

Reactions: Chief_Rick
Are the European radios missing part of the 70cm band we enjoy in the Americas?

– ·· –·– –·– ·– ––··–– ··· ·– –·– ––– ––··–– ·– –·–· –·–· ··– ·–· ·– –·–· –·–– ·· –· – · ·–· –· ·– – ·· ––– –· ·– ·–·· ––··–– ·· – ·––––· ··· ·– ·–·· ·–·· –·–– ––– ··– ·–– ·· ·–·· ·–·· · ···– · ·–· –· · · –·· ·–·–·–