• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hand checkering a 1911 front strap

coelk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2009
Colorado
For fun I thought I would post some pics of a Springfield getting the 25 lines per inch treatment. It's a pain in the ass to checker by hand, but the final results are beautiful if you take your time. You CNC guys might get a chuckle at some of us folks still checkering by hand!
[img:center]
check1web.jpg
check2web.jpg
check4web.jpg
[img:center] [img:center] [img:center] [img:center]
check5web-1.jpg
checkerdoneweb.jpg

Re: Hand checkering a 1911 front strap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats awesome, what does the tool actually look like? </div></div>

187003.jpg

That's a fine looking checkering job! How long have you been checkering for?

Thanks! I first learned to checker about 6 or so years ago. I think it was a Colt Officers.

nice looking job, there are still some dinosours that still checker by hand including yours truly. I thought about going to machine checkering but then the mystique of all that hand work goes away. I say that and I have 8 frames to checker sitting in the safe at the shop. ugh

My husband still does it. Hates doing pistol frames, but its a nice addition to small details on rifles. Great work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice looking job, there are still some dinosours that still checker by hand including yours truly. I thought about going to machine checkering but then the mystique of all that hand work goes away. I say that and I have 8 frames to checker sitting in the safe at the shop. ugh </div></div>

You do one heck of a job, sir.

Josh

A lot prettier than Clark's single divot method. A lot more time involved and a LOT more skill. JMHO

I've done a few personal guns, my first was a Stainless Steel Gold Cup about 20 years ago. I was scared to death.

I spent over 40 hours on it and wore out 2 checkering files!! But it turned out real good.

My hands felt like hamburger when I got done.

I still have the gun today, it's one I'll never get rid of.

Beautiful work you are doing, it's rare these days. I've seen a lot of poor checkering done by "big name" gunsmiths.

Wow!! Nice job. Is there some type of fixture you use to hold the file straight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniperhandle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!! Nice job. Is there some type of fixture you use to hold the file straight? </div></div>

I have done several. The earlier ones were functional and looked decent. Later, I got better and did some competent work. I bought a checkering guide from Brownells and used it once. It was not what I thought it would be.

Eventually, I started using a vise to set up my lines. If you remove the grip bushings, the frame will sit nicely in the jaws and they will give you a good solid guide. One caveat, when you set the frame in the vise to do the horizontal lines, be sure the jaws are square or you will have a mess.

For another pointer, be careful with the Colt frames. They have a bevel at the bottom of the mag well and if you are not careful, you will cut through it. Springfield and Kimbers do not have this.

For the vertical lines I am using a shop built fixture to keep the first few lines lines straight. My boss built it years ago.
For the horizontal lines, I made an aluminum fixture that fits over the frame to keep the lines nice and straight. Thanks for all the complements!

That is really nice checkering. I too have seen more than a fair share of buggered up jobs. It's not that diffucult, but it takes lots of patience and a steady hand to get results anywhere near that.

Great work!!