• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hand gun on par with a G.A. Precision rifle?

Since Clint Smith is a fan of the 1911 I feel a Wilson or Nighthawk 1911 would be a good match.

Or a Les Baer, since there is even a Thunder Ranch 1911 out there made by Les Baer.

Glock 19. But then I think a G19 is the answer to all center fire pistol questions.

something in 10mm with some conversion barrels. you said multi purpose!

glock 34 with some dawson fiber sights pretty nice.

or how about the handgun you can shoot the best.

Well I wouldn't hunt rabbits with a .308, so I don't understand the multi-purpose. If you want a handgun to match your GAP .308, there can be only 1 caliber - .45acp. There could be several makers. Top tier would be Ed Brown. Nighthawk, Wilson would be very nice. Springfield Armory out of the custom shop would be quite nice as well.

It could be competetive in USPSA single stack, it could hunt and be for s/d as well. I wouldn't hunt rabbits with a .45 either.......

Good luck.

this

http://www.freedomgunworks.com/ or.

this

PRP~ XD & XDM Perfection!

XDM 5.25 in what ever chambering you want.

send it to this guy and get awesome back.

i installed his ultimate match trigger in mine and i love this freakin gun.

he can put all the bells and whistles on for ya. narrow front sight. ext mag release, match trigger. and the barsto barrel although the factory match barrels are VERY accurate.

i love the xdm 5.25s and recommend them to everyone

Last edited:
IMO when I think of GAP rifles I think of the best rifle you can get for tactical competitions, so if I wanted to translate that over to a handgun, Id look no further than a STI Edge:

The STI Edge « STI INTERNATIONAL

I doubt you`ll find a better handgun for practical-style comps than a STI in whatever class youre shooting unless you have a gunsmith build a full-up custom exactly how you want it.

Nice thing with the STI`s is you get the mag capacity of the polymer wonders but with a 1911 trigger. Caliber; take your pick: .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 9x19mm...

I wouldnt mind this one for a carry pistol either:

The STI Tactical 4.0 « STI INTERNATIONAL

Sweet.

Have two 1911's I can bank on every day-one is 70 series, full on, blued Wilson Combat Commander. Other a Les Baer P2, satin hard chrome, melted 5" with 1.5" 50 yd guaranty. Target that came with it a bit better than 1.5". If push came to shove, I'd have to go with the LB, but either measures up every time you shoot them.

I like pairing mine with my HK Mark 23. Yeah i know how wanabe I sound. Guilty as charged. I like large firearms.

If you haven't made your decision yet I would seriously consider Cameron Custom Guns. His work fit and finish on 1911/2011 pistols is amazing. He mentored with Chuck Rodgers and you can still place orders with him.

Thanks for the responses.

I've narrowed it down to -

Sig P220

Ed Brown 1911

S&W 460 XVR 3.5" barrel (I would be shooting .45 Colt out of this one)

With respect, I only consider one of those pistols to be on par with a GAP rifle: the Ed Brown 1911. Since that's the question you asked, I'd recommend the aptly named Les Baer Thunder Ranch, which is a fantastic pistol, or a tuned up Glock. It really depends what you want the pistol to do, but when I leave the house, it's with either my LB 1911 or a Glock 21 or 23, both customized with Heinie sights, trigger work, KKM barrels, and stippling. Just my two cents.

Why would anyone choose 1911 when they could go SIG 220 or 227 and know they have a reliable sidearm? It boggles my mind.

Semper Fidelis

Why would anyone choose 1911 when they could go SIG 220 or 227 and know they have a reliable sidearm? It boggles my mind.

Semper Fidelis

A sig is hardly better than a 1911. Go with an older west german sig and you have a reliable, obsolete gun. Go with a newer sig, and you just have a unreliable , obsolete gun. HK, Glock and S&W (M&P) all laugh at sig and people who spend $1k on that trash. Atleast when you spend $1K on a HK, you know it will be reliable.

Many people shoot 1911's very well. In fact, I am surgical with a 1911, and only decent with a glock or HK. Still carry the Glock's and HK's because reliability/capacity > slight accuracy advantage.

Semper Fidelis

+1, ymmv
However,
I'm sure u got something great, do post pics/review

this is a retarded ass vague question, is this what we've resorted to? A "handgun match" to a GA rifle, what? "multi purpose dont wanna be tied to this or that", huh?