• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand held GPS

Red Mule

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Texas Panhandle
After 10 years of good use my Magellan 410 mapping GPS has gone tits up. Any recommendations for a replacement? At the time I acquired my 410 there were not many options available, but now there seem to be hundreds of choices. Primary use is for mountain pack trips and elk hunting.

Re: Hand held GPS

I like the Garmin76CSx for a hand held unit. I've had one for about 6 years now.

Depends on what you are using it for. Driving, we just got a 765T with lifetime update and it works superb. I still have my old Legend eTrex C and all I need for it is the STreets(no longer made, but avaialable for $99) and it's good to go. It did get me from NY to TN and also worked real good for me during OEF VII for 12 digit grids using MGRS. With several to choose from ranging in price there are many great ones or simple ones that just work. GArmin is my choice because, well, I like Garmin

Thank you for the information. Most of the time I have used my Magellan when we take summer pack trips into the mountains and in the fall for elk hunts. Using way points makes it real easy to just unload the mules and head into the mountains, and a trip odometer helps with time management. Summer trips are not such a problem because it stays light longer in the evening. During elk season I like to ride as high as I can and then tie up and hobble the mules and still hunt. After dark there is nothing harder to find than a dark colored mule tied to a tree.

I'll give the Garmin units a serious look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Garmin 60CSx </div></div>

Been very happy with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Garmin76CSx for a hand held unit. I've had one for about 6 years now. </div></div>
ME TOO
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Garmin 60CSx </div></div>

+1.
An excellent piece of equipment.

The best piece of gear I took to Iraq in 2003 was my Garmin Rhino GPS/Radio. It worked all the time and survived a number of firefight and getting blown up with me one day. It looked like hell at the end of my tour but still worked perfectly and survives yet another tour in 2006. I was able to communicate with my Team Sergeant at all times and I was able to get his position on my screen every time he hit the push to talk switch. I understand soldiers are not allowed to use the radios in theater any longer, but it served me well. It beat the crap out of the plugger the Army issued me. That overpriced piece of trash never worked.

+1 to the 76CSx also. Mine has ran well for the 6+ years I've owned it. I do wish the display was a bit bigger but it runs on standard batteries, is relatively small and very light.

I like the new colarado with dig camera they sell a pakage with topo and extras nice unit on my 4th garmin as I fish for money up here in alaska

I've have used a ton oF GPS'S and feel the best handheld out there is the 60CS. Been using mine for years, still going strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Migrane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Garmin 60CSx </div></div>

+1.
An excellent piece of equipment.</div></div>

+2 It's really accurate and being able to put maps on there is nice.

Can I ask what do you guys do with your GPS's exactly. Do you just track previous places you have been shooting and what not? Besides using it for a map what are the perks that you get from using it?

I am just curious.

GG

I was able to find a Garmin eTrex Legend H today for a really good price locally. Good thing, as we are leaving for the mountains tomorrow.

On pack trips and elk hunting I use the GPS in conjunction with USGS topo maps to keep up with how we got to where we did, and how we are getting back to the trailers. While I have no doubt that ours mules would eventually find their way back to the trailers, they are not always on the same time schedule we are. We use the trip odometer to keep up with how far we travel each day so that we can gauage the amount of time needed to get back to the trailers. Most of the time we ride big loops to try and see as much country as possible in the time that we have available.

During elk season I use as I mentioned in an earlier post to keep up with the location of tied up mules. Once I have ridden as high as I want and find a good place to tie the mules, I make that location a way point. Then after still hunting or walking and glassing it is easy to find the mules again after dark. Two years ago I made a way point for my neighbors bull so that we could go back to pack it out. We rode to within 20 feet of the bull without any trouble.