• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Hand held HAM Radio worth it?

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    First off, I know nothing about HAM radios except that I think it would be awkward using a pig to transmit messages :D Okay, it's not that bad, but realistically I'm looking at this for a way to communicate in emergency situations. Are the handheld varieties not even worth it, or are there some that would be recommended. Do they make any that can also double as walkies for 2 way communication?

Also, where is the best place to look for a newb to understand protocols and use to communicate with others. Thanks in advance.

You need be licensed to transmit on HAM bands for general use. ( Starting out you want Technician) You can listen all you want though! Emergency use is exempt. There are plenty of sites and apps you can practice for the test with. A quick google search will solve that. QRZ is what many people I know used. Second it depends where you are, whether or not it would work. You would need to check to see if any infrastructure exists where you would be an what kind it is. Handheld units are very worth it. Many radios are dual band at a minimum which will allow you to program non licensed channels in such as FRS. Being successful with radios takes some minor knowledge. Its not hard, plenty of kids do it. Without knowing how to properly use them, you are just wasting you time. The idea they are magic and will talk great distances without the right equipment and skills is a myth. Below are a few links for you to digest.

Last edited:
    well a few things.

1) all ham radios are essentially 2 way walkie-talkies......its just a matter of finding the right frequency ( more on this in a minute)

2) yes, hand held units are "worth it".....depending on what you want from them.

if you buy a decent radio, and more importantly a GOOD antenna....you should have no problem transmitting 50+ miles depending on terrain........and thats the kicker.....terrain.

ham radios operate on "line of sight".....meaning if you are in a dense forest, in a city, or in a valley trying to communicate with someone on a mountain top....you are going to have a lot of trouble. we have ways around this....but they arent like cell phones.

the benefit to them is you have access to ARES/RACES bands...most police and emergency bands....NOAA weather bands.....plus access to GMRS/FRS bands ( although not 100% legally)

going back to point 1....yes, you can use a ham radio to talk to "blister pack radios".

blister pack radio operate on the GMRS/ FRS bands....essentially those are a block of radio frequencies uncle sugar desginated for use with general "family" radios and dont require a license.....there are a few requirements for radios that operate on these bands (power and antenna requirements)......but thats about it.

now the reason its an issue is because nearly all HAM radios have removable antennas ( a no-no for FRS) and operate at 4+ watts (also a no-no for FRS)

many HAM radios also restrict those bands and wont permit transmission (there are mods for this as well)......but just sometihng to keep in mind.

but assuming you have a radio that will dial to a FRS/GMRS frequency....you can talk on it like a regular walkie talkie.

now if you go on the HAM forums and ask that question....all the poindexters are going to bawk and moan and cite FCC law and threaten you with prison time.........but none of them will even point to a real world example of where the FCC went after someone violating that law.

the general consensus is, unless you are actively causing trouble.....jamming bands and such, they are not really going to be bothered with you.

all in all, think of a ham radio as essentially a regular walkie talkie with a little more power, and slightly more control over what radio frequency you dial too.....they are really nothing special.

I took my technicians test today and passed. I spent a few hours a night studying for the last two weeks and blew threw the test. i did an online course Ham Radio Prep, it was $35 buck for the technician and general license course, I also bought a book and downloaded an app with the questions on the test.

There are 350 questions but they randomly select 35 you can miss up to nine and still pass so It wasn’t that hard, I didn‘t know much about electronics and nothing about ham radio, you can get your license in a short period of time with a little effort.

I got mine because I’m a little concerned about the future. I have a lot to learn but I’m well on my way. I think it’s a good investment of your time and money to get set up. Good luck.

This is fantastic, I really appreciate the response and great information here. Sounds like I’ve got some studying to do, but a worthwhile endeavor for sure.