• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand Loading

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
Does anyone here hand load for regular low end off the rack guns or only high end and custom guns?

It’s what my Dillon is for. Some will precision load on a progressive as well but I still rely on my single press for that. I don’t compete, so I’m not loading 500-1000 at a time. 🍻

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Depends. I can load 77 SMK 5.56 for less than the ammo costs. Pre COVID it wasn't worth loading 55 grain FMJ even though I could load it for half of what I was buying it for. That brass is great for loading 77's though. Bottom line ammo cost determines the handhold more than the gun does, but your handload may shoot better than factory ammo.

Someone will say their time is worth to much to hand load. For family reasons they are right.

Reactions: NoDopes
I have a couple off the shelf Remington's for hunting and I couldn't find box ammo that was good enough. They shoot Sierra Game Kings in handloads really well. I have a Savage 22-250 that'll shoot any box ammo really well so it gets whatever I find. Coyote and ground hogs have never complained about the brand.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I've considered reloading but at this point I'd never shoot enough to offset the equipment cost Then theres getting components.

Cost is irrelevant. I'll never recoup the money I've spent on equipment. It's therapy
But you have the equipment, I'd have to go out and buy it. $$$'s are short these days.

Reactions: NoDopes
I reload and enjoy it.
I have hit a point after a bit better than 20 years with a Rock Chucker that I’m not fascinated with every pull of the press handle. I also cast my own bullets so it adds up to a bit of time, and I don’t even shoot THAT much.
So, I did start powder coating cast bullets (not sure it saves much time, but they’re easier to store) and I’m kicking around buying a Dillon just to cut down on time spent doing mundane shit.

Been reloading for almost 60 years. I load everything i shoot ,except , rimfire and 9mm which i shoot very little of. I enjoy the time and the final product and it does save money when shooting volumes of FA. After all it is a hobby.

Reactions: NoDopes and Balor
Cost is irrelevant. I'll never recoup the money I've spent on equipment. It's therapy

When my son was still at home, I would go down to the basement, seems our wives always put us in the basement. My wife would tell him, don't bother dad he might blow himself up.

Does anyone here hand load for regular low end off the rack guns or only high end and custom guns?
01EA61C0-2524-4903-854C-EBA39D4BD66A.gif

I load for 45 or so different cartridges.
I like sitting down with some Tool coming out of the speakers and reloading.
After everything is done and stuff is put away you pour yourself a wild turkey on the rocks fire up a killer cigar and relax.
Can’t remember the last factory metallic round I’ve shot.
But I do shoot factory shotgun shells.

Only time I've purchased ammo was to test my store-bought firearms on first firing. That's 3 packs in 25 years.