• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand Loads 300WM

joshkaj1991

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2023
Torrance, California
Hello All,

Newbie to SnipersHide and to reloading, but have done a lot of reading/research on here and some other sites. I recently got a 300WM rifle and am trying to get started reloading (just been shooting factory stuff). I am starting with target shooting to try and find loads my rifle (Bergara B-14) likes. Since I am new to reloading, I am not trying to go with anything hot and staying way off the lands (not trying to get fancy for starting out). With that said, I have some Sierra MatchKing BTHP 168gr and Hornady ELD-M 195gr pills and have managed to get some H1000, IMR4350, Accurate 4350, and H4831SC. Working with some once-fired brass I have FL sized and bumped shoulder back ~0.002". Have CCI #250 primers.

My main question is what do you guys suggest as some good starting loads and should I just go to SAAMI specs or measure distance to the lands and work off that (which will be quite a bit more than a COAL of 3.340"). I have the Hornady Handbook and for 168gr bullets its suggesting a starting load of 58.1gr of IMR4350 that should push 2700 fps, but with some research it seems that is a really light load. I don't want to go too light as I know that can be dangerous too. I am trying to get more pills but some are difficult to find. I'd like to find Berger 215 hybrids as I hear those are a good go to for 300WM.

Any help you guys can provide to a newbie is much appreciated!

Thanks

What brass do you have? Case volume is important.
I am currently using Nexus 300WM brass that I got from my local ammo shop that I once-fired. I have some ADG brass but am saving that until I get a bit more experience loading before I start using that. I figure I would want to go through this Nexus stuff first.

So your brass is like Norma brass. It has a lot of capacity. That means you can start with Hornady max book loads using their coal.

So your brass is like Norma brass. It has a lot of capacity. That means you can start with Hornady max book loads using their coal.
Okay, that sounds good. Although since I am just starting, I am a bit worried about starting with max loads. I would like to start with minimum loads and work up from there. But I also read anything too little (below minimum) can be problematic.

20230114_154005.jpg

Okay, that sounds good. Although since I am just starting, I am a bit worried about starting with max loads. I would like to start with minimum loads and work up from there. But I also read anything too little (below minimum) can be problematic.
Never start with max loads. In a large capacity case, I usually start somewhere in the middle of the range.

Reactions: culater

You need to understand that Hornady brass has less capacity than your brass. Hornady’s min is way below your min because your brass has tons more capacity. Max in your brass is going to be 3 grains higher than in Hornady.

Thanks, CornHusker!

I loaded a few rounds with 58.1gr of IMR4350 for the 168gr SMK (Hornady book has a 168gr BTHP showing 58.1gr of IMR4350 minimum load will push 2700fps). Do you think I loaded those too much below the minimum in the Sierra Handbook that I need to worry?
I would start at 65 or 66.

You need to understand that Hornady brass has less capacity than your brass. Hornady’s min is way below your min because your brass has tons more capacity. Max in your brass is going to be 3 grains higher than in Hornady.
That makes sense. So these handloading books can vary quite a bit based on the brass you're using? I am just trying to work with something safe here to start until I slowly get the hang of things and don't want to be working anywhere near "max" loads. But also seems like working too low below the minimum can be dangerous as well.

Thanks for your help

That makes sense. So these handloading books can vary quite a bit based on the brass you're using?

Exactly. Hornady uses their own brass. Hodgdon uses Winchester brass. Sierra uses different brass at different times. Sometimes they use Federal which is real heavy and has a lot less volume. Other times the use Winchester.

In 300wm Hornady and Winchester brass are interchangeable. Norma and what you have need more powder. Federal and other heavy cases need less.

Exactly. Hornady uses their own brass. Hodgdon uses Winchester brass. Sierra uses different brass at different times. Sometimes they use Federal which is real heavy and has a lot less volume. Other times the use Winchester.

In 300wm Hornady and Winchester brass are interchangeable. Norma and what you have need more powder. Federal and other heavy cases need less.
That's really good to know. I know some people use water to fill their brass and weigh it to get an accurate volume of case capacity. I don't think I will be doing that any time soon but it is good to know different brands have what seem to be fairly noticeable variances in casing capacity.

That's really good to know. I know some people use water to fill their brass and weigh it to get an accurate volume of case capacity. I don't think I will be doing that any time soon but it is good to know different brands have what seem to be fairly noticeable variances in casing capacity.

Whatever load you come up with in your light brass cut it by 3 grains for your ADG.

I had to dig through my records from a few years back when I first started...

Data was directly from the Hornady 10th Edition using their 195 BTHP data... Hornady said it would be fine for the 195 ELDM, just start low and work up... The usual disclaimer.

Ingredients were 195 ELDM, Winchester brass, IMR 4350, Remington 9½ Magnum primers.

[Keep in mind Hornady lists charges by velocity instead of a traditional MIN/MAX value. I was inexperienced so I loaded across those charges. Started at 59.3 and then jumped to 61.6. Then jumped to 63.8 gr. I stopped at 66.0 (book max was 68.3)]

I should have started at 61.6 or 63.8 and worked up in .5 gr increments or so until something showed real promise... Then tweaked seating depth to tune it. But again... Inexperienced.

Best group was 61.6 gr. 5 shots grouped about .85" Not fantastic, but not too bad for a knucklehead starting out. Not sure what the velocity was, didn't have a chronograph then... Hornady said 61.6 gave them 2600 fps from a 25" barrel. So I was probably a shade under that.

I thought the 195 TMK's were more accurate than the Hornady 195's... And after checking my records they were. But it wasn't with IMR 4350... So, really, that's apples to oranges.

Kind of long winded, but hope it helped a bit. Got anymore questions, ask away. Or PM if you'd prefer.

Mike

I had to dig through my records from a few years back when I first started...

Data was directly from the Hornady 10th Edition using their 195 BTHP data... Hornady said it would be fine for the 195 ELDM, just start low and work up... The usual disclaimer.

Ingredients were 195 ELDM, Winchester brass, IMR 4350, Remington 9½ Magnum primers.

[Keep in mind Hornady lists charges by velocity instead of a traditional MIN/MAX value. I was inexperienced so I loaded across those charges. Started at 59.3 and then jumped to 61.6. Then jumped to 63.8 gr. I stopped at 66.0 (book max was 68.3)]

I should have started at 61.6 or 63.8 and worked up in .5 gr increments or so until something showed real promise... Then tweaked seating depth to tune it. But again... Inexperienced.

Best group was 61.6 gr. 5 shots grouped about .85" Not fantastic, but not too bad for a knucklehead starting out. Not sure what the velocity was, didn't have a chronograph then... Hornady said 61.6 gave them 2600 fps from a 25" barrel. So I was probably a shade under that.

I thought the 195 TMK's were more accurate than the Hornady 195's... And after checking my records they were. But it wasn't with IMR 4350... So, really, that's apples to oranges.

Kind of long winded, but hope it helped a bit. Got anymore questions, ask away. Or PM if you'd prefer.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for that info. I will start with a lighter load and work up in increments of 0.5gr. I will look into more bullets a bit later but I currently have the following loaded going to test next weekend (plan on loading a bit more so probably will do in increments of 0.5gr as you suggested):

195gr ELD-Match w/ 64.0gr of H4831SC in Nexus brass, OAL: ~3.4450" (0.093" off the lands)
195gr ELD-Match w/ 71.0gr of H1000 in Hornady brass, OAL: ~3.4595" (0.08" off the lands)
195gr ELD-Match w/ 74.0gr of H1000 in Hornady brass, OAL: ~3.4595" (0.08" off the lands)
168gr SMK w/ 65.5gr of IMR4350 in Nexus brass, OAL: ~3.3735" (0.0965" off the lands)
168gr SMK w/ 58.1gr of IMR4350 in Nexus brass, OAL: 3.4225" (0.050 off the lands) - this one I'm concerned is to reduced of a load and could be dangerous? Thoughts on that?

Should I push everything to SAAMI specs (3.340" COAL) and tinker with bullet seating once I find something my rifle likes? Essentially take out at least that variable. I have some Accurate 4350 too but I am just trying to find what my gun likes and then I'll tinker around there. Just don't want to go to hot or too light for a beginner. From your experience, what is too light or reduced?

I really appreciate all the help!

All of those loads are way too light. I can guarantee that you won’t see pressure with your H1000 and 195s ever. You will not be able to stuff enough powder into the case to make that happen. So starting at 71 grains is a waste of time. 77 is more like it.

69.5 grains of H4831 was a good load for me under a 190SMK in Federal brass, weighs 250gr btw.

Your 4350 load is basically a 308 duplicate. Waste of primers.

All of those loads are way too light. I can guarantee that you won’t see pressure with your H1000 and 195s ever. You will not be able to stuff enough powder into the case to make that happen. So starting at 71 grains is a waste of time. 77 is more like it.

69.5 grains of H4831 was a good load for me under a 190SMK in Federal brass, weighs 250gr btw.

Your 4350 load is basically a 308 duplicate. Waste of primers.
Jeesh, I should have chimed into SnipersHide a bit sooner before I loaded this stuff. Thanks for that. They aren't too light that they are into the "dangerous" category, correct? Just too light as they are a waste of my time and money. Glad I paid the impossible-to-find-tax for the primers too... *sarcasm* Live and learn. I will load a few more 195gr ELD-M at 77gr and see how that works.

Thanks!

Mike,

Thanks for that info. I will start with a lighter load and work up in increments of 0.5gr. I will look into more bullets a bit later but I currently have the following loaded going to test next weekend (plan on loading a bit more so probably will do in increments of 0.5gr as you suggested):

195gr ELD-Match w/ 64.0gr of H4831SC in Nexus brass, OAL: ~3.4450" (0.093" off the lands)
195gr ELD-Match w/ 71.0gr of H1000 in Hornady brass, OAL: ~3.4595" (0.08" off the lands)
195gr ELD-Match w/ 74.0gr of H1000 in Hornady brass, OAL: ~3.4595" (0.08" off the lands)
168gr SMK w/ 65.5gr of IMR4350 in Nexus brass, OAL: ~3.3735" (0.0965" off the lands)
168gr SMK w/ 58.1gr of IMR4350 in Nexus brass, OAL: 3.4225" (0.050 off the lands) - this one I'm concerned is to reduced of a load and could be dangerous? Thoughts on that?

Should I push everything to SAAMI specs (3.340" COAL) and tinker with bullet seating once I find something my rifle likes? Essentially take out at least that variable. I have some Accurate 4350 too but I am just trying to find what my gun likes and then I'll tinker around there. Just don't want to go to hot or too light for a beginner. From your experience, what is too light or reduced?

I really appreciate all the help!
I sent you a couple of PM's. Did you get them?

Mike

Did you shoot them yet?
Just went out yesterday and shot them. You were right. The 77.0gr of H1000 pushing the 195gr Hornady ELDM grouped the best. 1" at 100 yards. The lighter loads didn't shoot that well. No signs of pressure so may step it up a bit (0.5gr at a time like Mike suggested). Also want to try and get more pills to experiment (thinking some 210s-215s and maybe some ~180s). Once I find something that shoots consistently subMOA (hopefully) I will start to push towards the lands. Even 77.0gr of the H1000 was compressed in ADG brass (I think ADG has a much lower case volume than the other brass I have). I don't have a chrono so don't have FPS.

Thanks for the help from both you and Mike. Very helpful and hopefully can get out again soon to test some more loads.