• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand primer- i need to find one that actually works well! HELP ME fellas

Got the RCBS, FA, and 21st. They all work fine. The RCBS is nice in that you don't have to change shell holders but the loading tray design could be better. It uses a center post that snaps the tray cover in place after you get all the primers oriented right and when it snaps it tends to flip some primers over upside down.

ECYMgkrh.jpg

As of this morning, 21st Century has their super click bench rest priming tools in stock. Only delay might be shipping. Call Kevin at (260) 273-9909.

You want to buy another one? It's brand new
Why would I want to buy another one?mine works just fine. But if someone wants a hand primer. Lee hand primers are just as good as anything else. But there’s always ppl who feel their dollar is well spent paying $30 over for the same product with a different name.

Why would I want to buy another one?mine works just fine. But if someone wants a hand primer. Lee hand primers are just as good as anything else. But there’s always ppl who feel their dollar is well spent paying $30 over for the same product with a different name.
Well having owned and used the Lee and the Hornady, and now the Frankford.... they absolutely are NOT the same, or even close really.

Reactions: supercorndogs
They do the EXACT same thing. Press primers in and you can feel the crush of the anvil. So explain how they’re different? All metal body? About the only difference or does it Send pressure frequencies through your palm? Can Press a primer down to 1 psi if need be? Lol

if we’re talking about presses or dies yes. Hand primers? I guess if Sinclair made a hand flash hole debur it’s out perform RCBS s because it’s $40 more? Lol

They do the EXACT same thing. Press primers in and you can feel the crush of the anvil. So explain how they’re different? All metal body? About the only difference or does it Send pressure frequencies through your palm? Can Press a primer down to 1 psi if need be? Lol

if we’re talking about presses or dies yes. Hand primers? I guess if Sinclair made a hand flash hole debur it’s out perform RCBS s because it’s $40 more? Lol
Yes all metal but mainly it's different in that it works, it doesn't hang up, it doesn't get primers squished, the handle doesn't come loose, the primers actually feed correctly, all the time, and the spring in it is strong enough to actual hold the shell plate well..... for starters. What else would you like to know? I will be here all night...

Rcbs universal.

zero flipped primers…ever
works with any normal case
no “shell holders” to buy or struggle with
no fiddling….put primers in tray, prime brass.
tactile feedback regarding primer seating pressure….will also let you feel if something isn’t right before you crush a primer and blow your face off.
no need to mount to anything (i don’t have a “bench” that a ton of things can be mounted to)

cheap enough to buy two and leave one for large and one for small primers.

if you are concerned about primer seating depth, about a need to “compress the anvil”, or other such things, you need something else…my strategy has been, seat until the handle closes completely…ive never had a failure to ignite the primer in thousands of reloads. Ymmv.
Ok i always get 1 or 2 bitch primers that gotta flip when I put the cover on--what's your secret?

Even with that, its pretty fool proof except for my weak grip.

Yes all metal but mainly it's different in that it works, it doesn't hang up, it doesn't get primers squished, the handle doesn't come loose, the primers actually feed correctly, all the time, and the spring in it is strong enough to actual hold the shell plate well..... for starters. What else would you like to know? I will be here all night...
I can see that happening. However I’ve not had issues. I never said the Lee was built like a tank. Of course quality is as impressive As high end? But I’ve not had issues with the Lee so no reason to change. If it broke? Then and only then would I have upgraded. If it’s not broke I don’t need to fix it.

Now I understand ppl will push high end products because of ease of use, speed etc. however, no one needs to break the bank to produce accurate ammo. Perhaps in ELR matches it’ll show up? But within 300 yrds? And if you do your part? You’ll never see a difference in accuracy

I can see that happening. However I’ve not had issues. I never said the Lee was built like a tank. Of course quality is as impressive As high end? But I’ve not had issues with the Lee so no reason to change. If it broke? Then and only then would I have upgraded. If it’s not broke I don’t need to fix it.

Now I understand ppl will push high end products because of ease of use, speed etc. however, no one needs to break the bank to produce accurate ammo. Perhaps in ELR matches it’ll show up? But within 300 yrds? And if you do your part? You’ll never see a difference in accuracy
Yeah at 300 a chargemaster works like a champ, especially with ball powder. Of course I load for 1000 and beyond so it does matter for that, especially in the prone matches. As far as the Lee, if it works for you then rock on with it. It didn't work for me though. It was just too many little issues and with the little time that I have, I'm very happy to pay a little more for one that works all the time and doesn't have those little hiccups. Honestly, I doubt I will ever buy another primer. I prefer hand priming and the FA just works great, and I actually got 2 so I could just leave one for small and one for large, while also always having a back up. Seriously, if anyone wants the Lee I will sell it very cheap.

Yeah at 300 a chargemaster works like a champ, especially with ball powder. Of course I load for 1000 and beyond so it does matter for that, especially in the prone matches. As far as the Lee, if it works for you then rock on with it. It didn't work for me though. It was just too many little issues and with the little time that I have, I'm very happy to pay a little more for one that works all the time and doesn't have those little hiccups. Honestly, I doubt I will ever buy another primer. I prefer hand priming and the FA just works great, and I actually got 2 so I could just leave one for small and one for large, while also always having a back up. Seriously, if anyone wants the Lee I will sell it very cheap.
How cheap?

I looked but never found an all aluminum hand primer just the cheap pot metal versions .

The Lee would be a ton better if it had a new spring that was a little stronger than the one that comes in it.

I agree. I paid like $28 new or the Lee? I forget. But I see them at $44 now. Of course everything went up thanks to the Covidians…

I looked but never found an all aluminum hand primer just the cheap pot metal versions .
Pot metal is still stronger than plastic right? But it’s not like you’re gorilla gripping the press. What’s it take? About 40lbs to press and crush the anvil of a primer a little? Not sure but plastic, pot metal, steel, they all work the same. Some might not have as many issues as others. If it works? It works.

Frankford Arsenal.

This year I have primed 2000 9mm, 1000 38Spl and countless rifle brass.

No issues. Where did the flipped primers BS come from?

BugIn

Reactions: Wizard1183
Frankford Arsenal.

This year I have primed 2000 9mm, 1000 38Spl and countless rifle brass.

No issues. Where did the flipped primers BS come from?

BugIn
I know in a Lee hand primer it’s impossibly to flip. I’ve read reviews on them getting sideways with small rifle. But they def won’t flip in tray

They will flip in the loading shoot. A primer mashed in sideways is ruined, a primer upside down can be popped out and used.

The Lee is the worst hand primer I have used. The length and angle of the lever on the Lee makes it a lot harder to seat primers with. On average I would break 2 or 3 lids per year. I really just can say enough bad things about it. It will seat a primer though, so there is that.

They will flip in the loading shoot. A primer mashed in sideways is ruined, a primer upside down can be popped out and used.

The Lee is the worst hand primer I have used. The length and angle of the lever on the Lee makes it a lot harder to seat primers with. On average I would break 2 or 3 lids per year. I really just can say enough bad things about it. It will seat a primer though, so there is that.
Maybe you had a defective one? I’ve not had any issues? Though it’s large rifle. I’ve used it for.

I have worn out more Lee hand primes than you own likely. The older unit was better, but still the worst hand prime I have used. The angle on the lever on the old one made it easier to seat primers with, and there was transfer shoot where it lifts the primer out of the tray, before putting it in the shoot. That is where primers get flipped. I still have an old and new Lee hand prime sitting hear. I kept them about 7 years ago in case the RCBS unit didn't work out. Its primed enough cases by now to have worn at least one of them out.

I have worn out more Lee hand primes than you own likely. The older unit was better, but still the worst hand prime I have used. The angle on the lever on the old one made it easier to seat primers with, and there was transfer shoot where it lifts the primer out of the tray, before putting it in the shoot. That is where primers get flipped. I still have an old and new Lee hand prime sitting hear. I kept them about 7 years ago in case the RCBS unit didn't work out. Its primed enough cases by now to have worn at least one of them out.
Well I’m not in a rush when using it. If need be I’ll sell it and get something else. Til then I’m fine with it

I have to say, the Lee with all its faults, is way better than the Hornady. That thing was the worst. Luckily I could and did return it.

My lee hand primer has never given my one issue. Never broke a lid, never had one flip, weak spring letting the tray fall out, none of that. My one complaint is that it DOES seem to have worn in and on my 223 it only puts the primers flush instead of below flush.

Its only fault mainly is lack of leverage. The rcbs Ive used has the same lack of leverage only it was way more trouble to switch primer size and shell holders.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
My lee hand primer has never given my one issue. Never broke a lid, never had one flip, weak spring letting the tray fall out, none of that. My one complaint is that it DOES seem to have worn in and on my 223 it only puts the primers flush instead of below flush.

Its only fault mainly is lack of leverage. The rcbs Ive used has the same lack of leverage only his is way more trouble to switch primer size and shell holders.
View attachment 7724593
I had one of those, it finally broke but it honestly took a few tumbles to be fair.
I actually liked it.