• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand primer- i need to find one that actually works well! HELP ME fellas

The fastest way to use a CPS is by loading tubes with a Vibra-Prime, the DAA thingy, or the Dillon RF-100 (which is like $425 for those CPS owners who wish to continue overpaying for stuff). Incidentally, that’s also the fastest way to fill tubes for a Dillon 550 (which is cheaper than a CPS and I believe does a couple other things besides just prime cases). 🤔

I’m starting to wonder if any of those proselytizing the way of the $600 CPS have ever even tried the $60 Frankford tool before claiming the CPS is superior?

Whenever one of these threads pops up it seems like the “CPS fans” jump all over everyone else (really just me honestly) claiming how it’s worth every penny of $600, and how the rest of us are idiots for not accepting that “fact”.

But having used a CPS a bunch, they’re really not that special. The only thing I can guess is that the old priming tool guys’ were using before must have been super duper shitty!?

I have the 21st Century hand primer and I had the FA hand primer and a vibra prime, and when I was a teenager I had the Lee hand primer. It took 3 vibra primes before I got one that worked. It is my opinion that the CPS is faster than any of them. I already have a Dillon primer tube filler to feed my 1050, so purely from a production standpoint the CPS is hands down faster in my room than any other option. Note that I’m not making any argument about consistent depth, crush, etc. I‘m simply saying the CPS is faster, and that matters a lot to me when I’m prepping 400 pieces of rifle brass at a time or more. It’s the same logic behind why I have two auto-tricklers.

The RCBS hand prime makes the Lee, and Hornady seem like Fisher Price toys.
Agree

I’ve had zero issues with mine through countless reloads over the last 15 years. For hand priming I can’t imagine anything being any faster or more consistent. It’s a no BS system when hand priming

The RCBS hand prime makes the Lee, and Hornady seem like Fisher Price toys.
Clearly I should have gotten one of those instead of the crappy Lee and super crappy Hornady. On the the FA now. I will have 2 (for small and for large) so I sure hope they work as well as everyone says they do.

Very informative thread

The fastest way to use a CPS is by loading tubes with a Vibra-Prime, the DAA thingy, or the Dillon RF-100 (which is like $425 for those CPS owners who wish to continue overpaying for stuff). Incidentally, that’s also the fastest way to fill tubes for a Dillon 550 (which is cheaper than a CPS and I believe does a couple other things besides just prime cases). 🤔

I’m starting to wonder if any of those proselytizing the way of the $600 CPS have ever even tried the $60 Frankford tool before claiming the CPS is superior?

Whenever one of these threads pops up it seems like the “CPS fans” jump all over everyone else (really just me honestly) claiming how it’s worth every penny of $600, and how the rest of us are idiots for not accepting that “fact”.

But having used a CPS a bunch, they’re really not that special. The only thing I can guess is that the old priming tool guys’ were using before must have been super duper shitty!?
Yea and every time a CPS is brought up in a thread you seem to be there to bad mouth it because (YOU) think its over priced . You need to let the buyers decide if having a priming tool that doesn't wear out your grip, saves tons of time, is the most precise priming tool on the market and takes up very little foot print on your bench is worth the investment.
Yes I have used many different hand primers, Sinclair, 21 Century and RCBS. Sold them all soon as I used the CPS the first time. The only thing I didn't like about the CPS was loading the tubes. I fixed that with the Vibra Prime, its $40 and the extra priming tubes are $14.
The CPS is the best tool I have on my bench. However, if your wanting to prime from the couch or in other rooms of the house it may not fit the bill as it really needs to be attached to the bench.

That was my thought as soon as switched. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The corners break off the stupid square lids on the improved Lee hand prime.🤷‍♂️ The old one is better, but still a POS. The RCBS I have uses standard shell holders, and does both large and small primers. The universal sounds like it would be nice not to have to switch parts around.
Clearly I should have gotten one of those instead of the crappy Lee and super crappy Hornady. On the the FA now. I will have 2 (for small and for large) so I sure hope they work as well as everyone says they do.

Very informative thread

Yea and every time a CPS is brought up in a thread you seem to be there to bad mouth it because (YOU) think its over priced . You need to let the buyers decide if having a priming tool that doesn't wear out your grip, saves tons of time, is the most precise priming tool on the market and takes up very little foot print on your bench is worth the investment.
Yes I have used many different hand primers, Sinclair, 21 Century and RCBS. Sold them all soon as I used the CPS the first time. The only thing I didn't like about the CPS was loading the tubes. I fixed that with the Vibra Prime, its $40 and the extra priming tubes are $14.
The CPS is the best tool I have on my bench. However, if your wanting to prime from the couch or in other rooms of the house it may not fit the bill as it really needs to be attached to the bench.
"The best tool you have on your bench." Could you quantify that for us? I.E Has it improved your reloads more than any other tool. You like it better? It cost the most? What exactly makes it the best tool on your bench?

For example I would say the best tool on my bench is my press. I can preform every reloading operation on it, and could not reload with out it.

The RCBS I have uses standard shell holders, and does both large and small primers. The universal sounds like it would be nice not to have to switch parts around.
Just to clarify you do have to swap out the plunger and plastic chute (connects primer hopper to tool) to switch from large to small primers etc

I picked up a 2nd rcbs here a few years ago. I just have one set up for each type. The large has loaded everything from 6.5 CM to 338 LM without swapping any parts

Very informative thread

I loaded 700 rounds in a sitting with the RCBS and it gave me blisters. The FA on the other hand doesn't give me blisters. The primary reason I don't use the RCBS anymore is the changeover is time consuming and fiddly.

I have both. Not even close. The Frankford is good and will do the job, but the CPS is in a league all its own.

Reactions: Painless300
"The best tool you have on your bench." Could you quantify that for us? I.E Has it improved your reloads more than any other tool. You like it better? It cost the most? What exactly makes it the best tool on your bench?

For example I would say the best tool on my bench is my press. I can preform every reloading operation on it, and could not reload with out it.
I can certainly quantify that when I upgraded to the CPS it saved me more time, extremely reliable, can set the primer in one thou increments and made an otherwise hated task an enjoyable one. Its built like a tank and I have no doubt it will be handed down after I'm gone.
I would put it on par with upgrading from a beam scale to an auto-trickler. We pay thousands of dollars for our equipment in this sport, a carbon fiber barrel will cost $900 before even chambering it and its expendable, but some people think its worth it because of the weight savings. I had spent almost the same $600 for these crappy hand primers over the last 15 years that broke, flipped primers, painful to use, slow, zero precision and a pain to swap from large to small primers as well as case holders so $600 was well worth the investment to me for a lifetime of use.
Keep grinding it our with your hand primer, I don't care, I just don't like to see an extremely well built well performing primer being run down on these threads and discouraging others to invest on one of the best pcs of kit on market. There are bunch of these being used in our sport, I would encourage anyone to to just google CPS and a ton of very positive threads are out there then decide for yourself.

You would think for the cost of the CPS it would have automatic primer feed, having to shuffle the slide to feed I don’t like.
Frankford Arsenal all the way, save some money and put it towards primers,
might be able to get a box of 1000’s CCI 450’s on GB for about 300.00 😬

So, I really prefer the hand primer method vs my press. I can do it anywhere, and whe watching something with the kids or for myself. That's a big deal to me, as I have very limited time.

I have a few of the hand primers that probably everyone has (Lee and hornady) and I'm just tired of how much I have to fiddle with them, or let a primer out because it's sideways or something, or struggle to get the shell out of the holder (the Lee is booger for that)

Surely there is a hand primer that just works???? If it's expensive, so be it. I'm tired of this crazy and I will sell my other 2 to help off set it.

Help me out here please fellas.
Frankford Arsenal 👍

So, I really prefer the hand primer method vs my press. I can do it anywhere, and whe watching something with the kids or for myself. That's a big deal to me, as I have very limited time.

I have a few of the hand primers that probably everyone has (Lee and hornady) and I'm just tired of how much I have to fiddle with them, or let a primer out because it's sideways or something, or struggle to get the shell out of the holder (the Lee is booger for that)

Surely there is a hand primer that just works???? If it's expensive, so be it. I'm tired of this crazy and I will sell my other 2 to help off set it.

Frankford arsenal... if you're a 6.5 Creedmoor loader, place 2 layers of electrical tape on the piston and you're ready to go with the right die. Can't remember which one, but that's all I use and I get sub 5 SD's and sub 7 ES's with my hand loads. PLUS you can load 200 primers in that holder at a time and just run with it. I'm sorry, but I'm tired of spending $600+ for stuff because "the other guys" are using it. Tired of it.

I've primed thousands of 9mm, .38Spl, .45acp, and .223 with the LEE hand priming tool. Zero issues.

I am another 21st Century fan, for precision. I moved to that after using the Brownells/Sinclair tool for a while, sold that after trying 21C. I do not find it too slow, it is precise and I enjoy that precision. I only prime 50 -100 casings at a time.

Reactions: Holliday
Like most here, I've tried all the regular RCBS / Lee / Hornady ones. Pretty much broke all of them, been very happy with the Frankford Arsenal one.

I find most of their stuff to be a cut above the other brands in terms of engineering / thoughtful design and usually price competitive.

Frankford Arsenal 👍
They came in today. Wow! The FA is soooooo much better! It's on a while different level! It's really easy to change from large to small, but I got 2 so I can just have one for each. They seem like these will last me forever.

Honestly, I was just sitting sitting here thinking about how I am even going to be able to sell the Lee and Hornady ones. They are both in perfect shape but I sure can't sell em to anyone on here.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
The Frankford seems great, but I've heard that it will give you a fee flipped primers fairly often???

If that's the case, I'd rather just get the 21st C. Why is the 21st so slow? Seems like it would be as fast or very close to the frankford????
Frankford Arsenal is great. Never had a flipped prime unless I missed one when getting them flipped in the holder. Seats to same depth every time. Had a RCBS for 15 years and none were available at the time so I got he frankford and very happy with it

I went through the same dilemma a while back. I tried several of the others and sent them back. I wasn't impressed with the Frankford Arsenal. I almost got the 2ist century but ended up grabbing the K&M plus the Lee holder set. Been super happy with it. Excellent feel seating primers. The Lee holder set is much more reasonably priced if you need a large variety of holders.

Last edited:
Seems a good amount of folks are happy with the rcbs uni tool. I sure do like the feel of the FA one though. So solid.

They came in today. Wow! The FA is soooooo much better! It's on a while different level! It's really easy to change from large to small, but I got 2 so I can just have one for each. They seem like these will last me forever.

Honestly, I was just sitting sitting here thinking about how I am even going to be able to sell the Lee and Hornady ones. They are both in perfect shape but I sure can't sell em to anyone on here.

Where did you get them (LEE/Hornady tools)? Maybe the store/site wlll let you return them since they don't work satisfactory?

Now, I'm not an advocate for just returning things every time you find something better or anything like that, but that said, after the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent over the years.... I have finally used the legendary Brownells' warranty-return and returned a couple things that didn't work out or were flawed over the last few years (to MidwayUSA too).

Same scenario: something didn't work as-promised and was worthless on the secondary market (and like most around here, most of us already have a pretty good stockpile of useless gun stuff and don't need to add any more).

You could even try contacting Lee and/or Hornady, maybe they'll do something for you? ...doesn't take 5mins to crack off a couple emails (even though most are too lazy to bother), might be worth a try...

I still have a couple of the Lee hand prime sitting in a drawer. I will give them to someone someday, along with a pile of square lids with a corner broken off. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For those that have broken an RCBS hand prime, what broke?

Where did you get them (LEE/Hornady tools)? Maybe the store/site wlll let you return them since they don't work satisfactory?

Now, I'm not an advocate for just returning things every time you find something better or anything like that, but that said, after the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent over the years.... I have finally used the legendary Brownells' warranty-return and returned a couple things that didn't work out or were flawed over the last few years (to MidwayUSA too).

Same scenario: something didn't work as-promised and was worthless on the secondary market (and like most around here, most of us already have a pretty good stockpile of useless gun stuff and don't need to add any more).

You could even try contacting Lee and/or Hornady, maybe they'll do something for you? ...doesn't take 5mins to crack off a couple emails (even though most are too lazy to bother), might be worth a try...
I bought the Lee one used off ebay. The Hornady I bought new and after reading it here, I thought "oh yeah, I can just return it". I did it and got a rma and have already dropped it off at upstairs.

I have a Lee with a set of shell holders. Would the shell holders be useful for anything else?

I bought the Lee one used off ebay. The Hornady I bought new and after reading it here, I thought "oh yeah, I can just return it". I did it and got a rma and have already dropped it off at upstairs.

I have a Lee with a set of shell holders. Would the shell holders be useful for anything else?
Cps

They must be awesome with the support they get.... that said, I prefer to be able to take my ready cases and primer em anywhere with a hand primer and the Frankford is absolutely great for that.
Why I have both :cool: and the shell holders with the Frankford work with the CPS.

I still have a couple of the Lee hand prime sitting in a drawer. I will give them to someone someday, along with a pile of square lids with a corner broken off. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For those that have broken an RCBS hand prime, what broke?
Mine broke where the primer tray 'plugs' into the feed chute. Contacted RCBS and they replaced it.

They would work with the the K&M tool, that is what I have and it has been great.

Forster has a very effective primer installer. If something was better or more '"BULLET PROF"" we could say,,,I haven't found it.

I've looked at it and it seems good but also seems to be a long wait for it....
I use the 21st Century and it is god-realm for me. The thing that seems to hang most people up us that it is single feed. Apparently I have remarkable finger dexterity because I find it every bit as fast as my RCBS in total time. I wipe my fingertips with an alcohol wipe before handing primers too. This avoids any contamination. A good hand wash and dry will do the same.

It is made really nice and the primer seats the same depth every time without having to think about it. 21st Century are a small biz, great folks and great to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Threadcutter308

Seems like the same thing with the Labradar. I am sure both the Labradar and the CPS are great tools but there are good reasons why some folks would consider less expensive (and in the case of labradar less fragile and complicated).

Me personally, if I’m going to spend $600 for something for my reloading bench I would probably be looking at my powder dispensing and improving that from the basic Chargemaster 1500. If my Century 21 hand primer wasn’t giving me what I needed that I might be looking at the CPS-jesus rig. Same with my Magnetospeed versus the “venerable” Labradar .........

Reactions: LR1845
I just got the RCBS universal hand primer. I like that you don't have to change shell holders. And how you use your hand instead of your thumb to seat the primer.

IMG_0324.JPGIMG_0325.JPG

I patented that Sticky Lee Lid Holder, so none of you better try to steal it.

I’ve got the RCBS hand priming tool and have been very happy with it. I’m probably going to get a second one and keep one set up for large primers and one for small primers. Although changing back and forth isn’t difficult, it’s enough of a hassle to justify a second one.

I’ve got the RCBS hand priming tool and have been very happy with it. I’m probably going to get a second one and keep one set up for large primers and one for small primers. Although changing back and forth isn’t difficult, it’s enough of a hassle to justify a second one.
The rcbs must be pretty good, but I've been just super happy with my Frankford 's.

Glad I got 2 also, it's just a lot easier when you don't have to switch stuff out. It's really easy to do and fast but s it's nice to have one for small and one for large

I got the rcbs universal hand primer. I like it because of no shell holders. The downside is the rim on .45 Colt is not wide enough. Sometimes the case will pop out of the primer. It is nerve wracking it see a case flying across the room.

I got the rcbs universal hand primer. I like it because of no shell holders. The downside is the rim on .45 Colt is not wide enough. Sometimes the case will pop out of the primer. It is nerve wracking it see a case flying across the room.
Well I will tell you that the FA one works like a champ and it's super easy to change the shell holders out. I've not ever used the rcbs but you won't be disappointed with the FA

Reactions: Jscb1b
Have the Frankford Arsenal, RCBS Universal and now the RCBS bench priming tool. Haven't used either hand primers in months. I would sell those if I ever did sell anything. Bench priming is the way to go if you shoot a lot. Especially if you have tight brass like Lapua, and Norma.