• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hand Priming Tool

Re: Hand Priming Tool

Lee hand priming tool.

A bunch of their reloading equipment isn't that great, but their hand priming tool is nice.

I use the old Lee, I have tried the new Lee and it doesn't feel the same. I have not used any other hand prime tool so I would defer to the opinion of a guy like xray9.

I use the standard RCBS one's , think I have four of them, and a RCBS universal aps one. Get the standard one if you're going to be priming cartridges as large as .338 Lapua, the universal one won't spread wide enough.
Personally, I think the only reason to buy the single feed ones like, Sinclair, 21st Century, K-M, is just to spend money. If you need to be that intimate with the primer seating process, well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K & M, after you've tried the rest.........xray9 </div></div>

No kidding, I found a used K&M priming tool ($25.00) about 9 months ago. What a great priming tool. It's all I use now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K & M, after you've tried the rest.........xray9 </div></div>

No kidding, I found a used K&M priming tool ($25.00) about 9 months ago. What a great priming tool. It's all I use now. </div></div>

That seems to be over the top, but if you like the results that is all that matters.

I use the RCBS universal hand primer. It primes everything from .308, 7WSM, 7 Dakota, and 338LM Improved without needing to change a shell holder. Saves a ton of time for me.
smile.gif

Jeffvn

Hornady hand primer. I've primed many thousands of rounds with mine. Still works like new. No need to buy primers in preloaded sprips like others, and no broken handle like the cheap Lee crap. Has its own flipping tray attached.

Old school Lee auto prime (the round one); have two, one for large primers and another for small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrbro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS Universal. </div></div>Yup, yup. All I would buy now.

YMMV but Even when using the progressive I hand prime. I want to 'feel' the primer seating. Just me, I really dislike any brass ruined by primers going in sideways. I've had exactly 1 incident of that with my RCBS Uni and it was my fault.

But...

I also have old round top Lee (2) that are used for .473 base (308 variants, Mauser variants, 30-06, etc.. and .378 base .222/223 variants. I've never had a primer go in sideways with these.

I like the Sinclair Tool.You really get a good feel for how the primer is seating.Its not a cheap tool but I have used mine for 5 years with out any problems.
Regards,Mike

I also have one of the newer Lee's. I think it was the "ergo" model or something. I really like it so far. I have probably primed 500 or so .308 with it.

I use a Sinclair, but that 21st Century Benchrest Priming Tool looks like it fixes my primary gripe with Sinclair, which is adjustment. Even with the little adjustment shims, I can't seem to adjust it just right. If I had to buy again, I would go with that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Sinclair, but that 21st Century Benchrest Priming Tool looks like it fixes my primary gripe with Sinclair, which is adjustment. Even with the little adjustment shims, I can't seem to adjust it just right. If I had to buy again, I would go with that one. </div></div>

That is a very nice priming tool.

I have an old RCBS, a round tray Lee and a 21st Century. My go to has been the 21st Century tool ever since I got it. The depth adjustment feature works very well.

I'm a newbie to reloading, i use LEE hand primer and really like it, haven't had any issues.

I've got the RCBS universal (which I use the most) and a Sinclair, had a LEE when I started, the LEE is a PITA--requires special shellholders just for it. The Sinclair is nice but tedious and frankly I have just as much feel when seating with the RCBS--that and the fact I never have to change shellholders with it makes it the go to priming tool for me.

probably like a lot of you on here i have a selection of priming tools,
for a while the best one i found was the k&m with dial indicator until i realised that it did not work as advertised , between the lever and primer punch there is a small spring , its there to return the handle, but it means that its not a solid linkage from lever stroke to primer punch, to check get your tool ready for use , now without a case or primer depress the handle all the way, whilst keeping it depressed use a screw driver or similar to press down on the primer punch, if it moves you have the version with spring fitted, ive found that this tool will give inconsistant results if some case pockets are tighter than others, some new lapua cases with tight pockets can over come the spring resistance resulting in false readings.
ive gone back to the sinclear tool , uniform each pocket and seating till it touches bottom, a lot more consistant results