• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tallahassee

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
New England
Not sure if this is the spot to post this, but here it goes. Just got a glock 45 mos. Wasn't planning on the mos part, but I liked the gun and bought it anyways. I am probably going to grab a Trijicon RMR for it. Just want to know if there is anything else I should be looking at. This is new to me and would propel me into the 21st century.

lots of practice.
many people used to irons struggle to "find the dot" instead of trusting muscle memory to present the pistol so the dot appears without effort.
Yes, I have seen this said a lot. So, planning on extra practice. Like I said, I wasn't planning on buying something with the slide cut. But, since I did, might as well throw something on it.

Reactions: theLBC
RMR will do you for a hard use optic but the window is small and there is quite a bit of distortion. RMR's smaller window also doesn't work well if you end up with with especially tall suppressor sights.
If it's a range gun, or even a night-stand gun, maybe look at a Trijicon SRO or Leupold Delta-point Pro.
Forget about the cheap stuff (Vortex). I've seen where something like a Venom not survive being dropped from about 3 ft. (with the metal surround around the glass being bent a good 1/8" to the side. Also with cheap dots, you may not be able to adjust the dot brightness down far enough to use indoors or high enough for outdoors.

Practice simple presentation drills, and don't forget some out of position stuff

I had a rude awakening at a USPSA match when shooting around barricades. I struggled to find the dot when leaning around objects, shooting in low ports, etc. I'm admittedly a C-class shooter having only gone to a handful of matches. But I highly recommend going to some type of competition shooting. They will show you what you suck at!

Reactions: Tallahassee
Trijicon RMR gen 2 is most durable and proven mrdo. Battery life is great. Downside is small(er) windows and open emitter (potential disadvantage).

Trijicon SRO has great big window, great battery life, but may not survive bouncing it off the pavement.

Aimpoint ACRO is durable, reliable with closed emitter and arguably better mounting design. But has (much) less battery life.

Holosuns get good reviews for chinesium, with same footprint as Trijicon.

I’ve had a SIG Romeo 01 Pro that worked well, but not happy that SIG can’t even decide on a footprint between even their own optics.

Leupold DPP’s, no experience. I believe they were approved by USMS, but could be wrong. Know they had issues over their evolution.

RMR will do you for a hard use optic but the window is small and there is quite a bit of distortion. RMR's smaller window also doesn't work well if you end up with with especially tall suppressor sights.
If it's a range gun, or even a night-stand gun, maybe look at a Trijicon SRO or Leupold Delta-point Pro.
Forget about the cheap stuff (Vortex). I've seen where something like a Venom not survive being dropped from about 3 ft. (with the metal surround around the glass being bent a good 1/8" to the side. Also with cheap dots, you may not be able to adjust the dot brightness down far enough to use indoors or high enough for outdoors.
I will be honest, wasn't even thinking about swapping out the sights. This will be a range/farm gun. It will get abused. Probably dropped, be outside in the snow and the rain. I was looking at the Leupold, but what videos I watched, it didn't look that rugged.

I’ve used a lot of pistol red dots and find the SRO to my favorite. The window is huge and dot is crisp for me on the 5 moa version. I bought this cover to make it more durable.

I will be honest, wasn't even thinking about swapping out the sights. This will be a range/farm gun. It will get abused. Probably dropped, be outside in the snow and the rain. I was looking at the Leupold, but what videos I watched, it didn't look that rugged.
RMR should work for you then.
I've got both RMRs and SROs. Range guns get SROs but the house guns get RMRs.

Be careful with the Glock MOS plates. The RMR plate on my 19 MOS never fit quite right and I ended up getting an aftermarket plate. My buddy has had no problems with his, but it's worth keeping an eye on. It's too bad Holosun is made by the commies, they're rugged, battery on the side and cheaper, but made by commies; RMR is the way to go.

If you haven't seen them already, check out sage dynamics on youtube. He tests/abuses a lot of the popular red dot sights.

RMR should work for you then.
I've got both RMRs and SROs. Range guns get SROs but the house guns get RMRs.
I am also trying to learn about red dot sights as well.
Why do you prefer your range guns to have an SRO and your home protection guns to have a RMR? Thanks in advance, Josh

RMR and ACRO are only ones you can trust your life to.

Rest can't survive a drop.

Sucks dealing with the blue tint but it is what it is.

The fact that the RMR 1 which was already more durrable than everything else on the market had to be re-designed to make it more hardned to G forces impared by pistol slides is telling.

I love my DPP. It’s tan, I wish it was black, but I got it for a STEAL, bnib, so I’m not going to complain too much.

Also, being able to change the battery without removing the optic won me over from getting an RMR.
950FC664-36CF-4F6C-A17A-66971414D336.jpeg

I am also trying to learn about red dot sights as well.
Why do you prefer your range guns to have an SRO and your home protection guns to have a RMR? Thanks in advance, Josh
SRO - big freakin' window to look through, much less distortion than RMR, but not made to be banged around beyond competition use
RMR - itty-bitty window with a blue cast (from the coatings), noticeable distortion, but made specifically for hard use

According to Aaron Cowan/ Sage Dynamics, you can add the Holosun 508T to that list
I could care less what a bunch of random jerk offs who make money from youtube think.

Everyone who ever served in the military thinks they are a fucking SME now. We must have 3 million SME's out there.

Not to mention anyone buying that Chicom garbage is helping to fund the Chicom Military and weapons development sector.

America Dollars being used to make Chicom weaponry more lethal which will inevitably used again the US and the west one day........great fucking idea.

I love my DPP. It’s tan, I wish it was black, but I got it for a STEAL, bnib, so I’m not going to complain too much.

Also, being able to change the battery without removing the optic won me over from getting an RMR.
View attachment 7535698
Don't drop it. I can get brand new DP's for $150 from a buddy who works at Leopold.

They are range toys at best.

The RMR's blue tint and edge distortions are irrelevant if you use it like you're supposed to.

Stop trying to see the world through the little window. Stop trying to focus on the dot: it makes you slow as fuck and draws you to try to see the world through the tiny window.

Keep your head erect. Lose the god damn tactical turtle 90's pose. Use both eyes to focus on the target and bring the pistol UP to your face. The dot will be crisp and superimposed on the target and the RMR's blue tint, little window, and minor edge distortion will become nearly invisible.

Oh yea, you'll have to unfuck your presentation out of the holster or you'll never find the dot.

Lessons learned over 15,000 rounds through one in one year.

My carry gun has an RMR, but I also have an SRO on another pistol. On the subject of what to carry, let's get fucking real. If you're joe average ccw (like most of us) your pistol will live in the holster 99% of the time and the chances of dropping one are zero unless you're a complete klutz. Because of that, get an SRO. While the housing isn't as rugged as the RMR's, the electronics most certainly are.

If you're a cop, or someone else who will actually go looking for a fight armed with a pistol, then get an RMR

BTW zero problems getting a lower 1/3 cowitness with an RMR.
P-10C OR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CrabsandFootball
Size of the RMR window comes into play for me when using one on something like my STI HOST where the sights are just high enough to where it's blocking out the lower half of the sight picture. Even had that problem with an aftermarket cut on an M&P (though it's fine with the high sights on an M&P CORE).

No problem with the added height of the SRO's window.

018_0926.jpg

And then there's applications where an SRO just looks cooler.

DSC_1084.jpg
DSC_1085.jpg

Last edited:
I could care less what a bunch of random jerk offs who make money from youtube think.

Everyone who ever served in the military thinks they are a fucking SME now. We must have 3 million SME's out there.

Not to mention anyone buying that Chicom garbage is helping to fund the Chicom Military and weapons development sector.

America Dollars being used to make Chicom weaponry more lethal which will inevitably used again the US and the west one day........great fucking idea.

View attachment 7535698
[/QUOTE
Wow! Take your blood pressure meds this morning?

Size of the RMR window comes into play for me when using one on something like my STI HOST where the sights are just high enough to where it's blocking out the lower half of the sight picture.

View attachment 7535919

Yeah it's pistol dependent

My P-07 needs taller sights than my P-10C but that's because the pocket in the P-07 can't be machined as deeply. Still have a very low cowitness, same as the P-10. The sights just barely peek over the bottom of the lens.
P-07 RMR.jpg

Reactions: Sgt47

View attachment 7535698

Nope, you’re wrong. That one dude puts those optics thru the ringer and shows which can take abuse. No doubt RMR is king,

Size of the RMR window comes into play for me when using one on something like my STI HOST where the sights are just high enough to where it's blocking out the lower half of the sight picture. Even had that problem with an aftermarket cut on an M&P (though it's fine with the high sights on an M&P CORE).

No problem with the added height of the SRO's window.

View attachment 7535919

And then there's applications where an SRO just looks cooler.

View attachment 7535928View attachment 7535931
Range toy optics on range toy guns

The RMR's blue tint and edge distortions are irrelevant if you use it like you're supposed to.

Stop trying to see the world through the little window. Stop trying to focus on the dot: it makes you slow as fuck and draws you to try to see the world through the tiny window.

Keep your head erect. Lose the god damn tactical turtle 90's pose. Use both eyes to focus on the target and bring the pistol UP to your face. The dot will be crisp and superimposed on the target and the RMR's blue tint, little window, and minor edge distortion will become nearly invisible.

Oh yea, you'll have to unfuck your presentation out of the holster or you'll never find the dot.

Lessons learned over 15,000 rounds through one in one year.

My carry gun has an RMR, but I also have an SRO on another pistol. On the subject of what to carry, let's get fucking real. If you're joe average ccw (like most of us) your pistol will live in the holster 99% of the time and the chances of dropping one are zero unless you're a complete klutz. Because of that, get an SRO. While the housing isn't as rugged as the RMR's, the electronics most certainly are.

If you're a cop, or someone else who will actually go looking for a fight armed with a pistol, then get an RMR

BTW zero problems getting a lower 1/3 cowitness with an RMR.
View attachment 7535825
In all fairness joe blow who shoots 100 rounds a year is more likely to drop his gun thsn shoot someone but great post otherwise.

Reactions: 308pirate
Be careful with the Glock MOS plates. The RMR plate on my 19 MOS never fit quite right and I ended up getting an aftermarket plate. My buddy has had no problems with his, but it's worth keeping an eye on. It's too bad Holosun is made by the commies, they're rugged, battery on the side and cheaper, but made by commies; RMR is the way to go.
Believe me, I wanted to like the Holosun, I am a cheap bastard at heart. But, the price difference isn't that big, all things considered, I will throw my money at Trijicon.

Believe me, I wanted to like the Holosun, I am a cheap bastard at heart. But, the price difference isn't that big, all things considered, I will throw my money at Trijicon.
I own both Holosun and Trijicon. The Holosuns appear decent but anymore l roll with Trijicon. Cut my teeth with the RMR and believe it is a fantastic optic. I carry it for duty. However the SRO is my go to optic. I get it is not as durable but you can add the Jager cover to give it more protection. For me the large window helps me find the dot quicker and the 5 moa dot is the crispest I’ve seen ( l have a astigmatism and most dots appear fuzzy. Not the 5 moa SRO. It’s a nice round circle) I’m not as experienced as others with red dots but I’ve been shooting pistols with them for seven years with thousands of rounds down range.

1611504945761.jpeg

the 5 moa dot is the crispest I’ve seen ( l have a astigmatism and most dots appear fuzzy. Not the 5 moa SRO. It’s a nice round circle)

I also have astigmatism, and while my glasses correct it, they don't correct it perfectly and the farther my eyes look from the optical center of the lens, the less correction I get.

I also have noticed that the larger the dot, the crisper the dot remains as my eyes move away from the center of my lenses. The 2 MOA dots I have or have had (Holosun, SIG, Aimpoint) always have a little bit of bloom indoors or outside during overcast days unless I turn the brightness uncomfortably low. The larger dots I have (Aimpoint 4 MOA, Trijicon 5 and 6.5 MOA) always remain crisp and round unless I turn them up excessively bright for the available illumination (like near max brightness while indoors).

I don't understand how that effect happens, but it's undeniably real.

Last edited:
I am also cheap. I can squeeze the shit out of a Buffalo nickel. I know Trijicon is the best money can buy but I just can’t force myself to turn loose of the $...yet lol 😂

Not sure if this is the spot to post this, but here it goes. Just got a glock 45 mos. Wasn't planning on the mos part, but I liked the gun and bought it anyways. I am probably going to grab a Trijicon RMR for it. Just want to know if there is anything else I should be looking at. This is new to me and would propel me into the 21st century.
Go with the RMR

Hold out and wait for the gen 2 aimpoint acro. Closed emitters are the future.

Currently own:
Leupold DPP
Shield RDS
Burris FF2
Vortex
RMR

Shield is on my carry gun. Love the low profile mount you can achieve with it. Plastic screen has some scratches and not perfect, but still works fine.
Leupold is probably my favorite for speed, ease of use, and window size. Just don't like the mounting height on a carry gun.
RMR is on my hunting pistol. It works and is robust, but really don't like the window/blue tint and wouldn't buy again.

Is the Trijicon the only one with a green triangle? And that one isn't battery powered, correct?

I didn't have trouble with the plate mounting the RMR on a Glock MOS but I did have to shorten the screws to keep them from bottoming out.

Reactions: Sgt47