• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handgun Optic

Potsy

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2019
Looking to put an optic on my Ruger Mk III. I don't know a lot about them. A bit of background, I'm 48 and a bit far-sighted (need to break down and go buy real glasses instead of readers) so irons are starting to get a bit fuzzy, but I'm wondering if I'd like a red dot of some sort. I don't know anyone who runs them, so I'd be on my own.
I thought I'd try one on the little Ruger (picatinny mount), and if I like it, plan on having the slide milled on a 1911 (and maybe a couple other pistols) sometime down the road. A Ruger .22 is one thing, but do optics play nice with +P .45 ACP loads and a slide slamming back and forth a few thousand times?
Was looking at the Burris FastFire 2 to start, then possibly graduate to the FF4 with multiple reticles down the road if I like the concept.
The FastFire 2 claims a 4MOA dot, I'm guessing this translates into covering 1" of target at 25 yards?
Any and all advice appreciated!!

If you want a red dot, I like the Burris FF 3 , 2 MOA dot. I have one on my .22lr bullseye pistol and on my 1911 bullseye pistol, it has held up to 27,000 rds. of .45acp, bullseye light loads, SWC @ 790 FPS. If you want a actual scope check out the Match dot Ultra dot

59B07446-DBE2-4A31-9117-E7274C69028A.jpeg
Ultra Dot on my MkII since new with no issues.

Reactions: oso1
Don’t want a scope. Though it would be great on a range toy, I’d like to keep things a bit more “holster-able”.
I’m guessing the 2moa dot covers 1/2” of target at 25 yards?

Assuming you don't have an astigmatism that causes the red dot to 'bloom' (and appear to cover more of the target), that is correct. A prism optic would be another way around this but I'm not aware of one as small as say an RMR.

Know that some optics 'brands' like Holosun are full CCP funded and controlled companies, so all revenue benefits the Chinese Communist Party.

Reactions: sea2summit
Brother in law did have a very similar setup on a Ruger slab-side with volquartsen guts and an ultra dot. Thing was crazy accurate and a hoot to shoot!
I’d like to stick to the RMR-type sights for this project, just because this will be more of an evaluation of how I like them for carry, hunting, etc.

@pmclaine
Can you link your red dot thread here? I couldn’t find it. Tons of good info for the OP in there.

This was what my Burris rep had to say:

"Would definitely recommend the FF3 over the 2, but he is correct that a 4MOA dot will equate to roughly 1” at 25y (I’ve bookmarked this handy tool from my Tech Support days to assist with those calculations - http://www.indecorous.com/bullseye/moacalc.html )

A friend of mine routinely touts his Fastfire 3 that has held up to over 20,000 rounds of .45 hardball ammunition the he loads hot and uses on a regular basis. That one’s 3 MOA dot covers a little more than ¾” at 25y, and the larger 8 MOA dot is preferred for those shooting larger targets much more quickly, since the ~2” @25y that dot covers is picked up by the eye much more quickly.

For someone just starting out and looking to upgrade later, I’d definitely say a FF3 since those are the proven design and come in at a significantly lower cost than the FF4, while also outclassing the FF2 in complexity of setup, since it has click-type adjustments and a top-mount battery that does not require a zero confirmation after changing."

Brother in law did have a very similar setup on a Ruger slab-side with volquartsen guts and an ultra dot. Thing was crazy accurate and a hoot to shoot!
I’d like to stick to the RMR-type sights for this project, just because this will be more of an evaluation of how I like them for carry, hunting, etc.

I have significant experience with reflex sights on pistols. I've been using them heavily in competition over the last two years and have probably close to 50K rounds total through pistols with them.

My own experience, plus that of those who I shoot with, gives me a solid base to explain their plusses and minuses.

You're correct in that a reflex sight mounted on a pistol slide will experience severe loads. Hobby-grade optics have unacceptably high failures rates when mounted on pistol slides and are suitable only for mounting on rifles, revolvers, or on frame mounts for semi auto pistols. The only brands that seem to survive the rigors of heavy usage (and USPSA handgun competition is heavy usage) are Trijicon, Holosun, and Leupold. I would limit yourself to those three, and personally I buy nothing but Trijicon products for this application.

Also be advised that a reflex sight demands an extremely consistent draw and demands a very well developed "index". Index is the ability to look at anything, draw a handgun without looking at it, and have the sights be aligned and on target automatically at the end of the draw. If you draw is inconsistent and/or your index ability is poor you will be insanely frustrated because the pistol will be significantly off line to the target enough to make the dot not project onto the lens. You will not see the dot, and it doesn't take much misalignment for it to disappear. If you re-train yourself, the dot will be like a cheat code. If you don't, you will give up in frustration.

One last thing, you MUST forget "front sight focus" and you must NOT close your off eye when using a reflex sight. You must open both eyes and you must focus on the target with both of them or you will be extremely slow compared to the speed which you can develop otherwise. Once you get your draw and your index squared away, cover the front of the lens with a piece of opaque tape and keep it there until you can see both the target and the dot. You must not try to see the world through the little lens in the sight.

Get a Trijicon RMR or SRO or maybe a Halosun. Once you get used to shooting a handgun with a dot shooting irons is boring. I also have a Burris Fastfire 2 on a Ruger Mark 3 and it's ok except on bright sunny days. It's just not bright enough. You will need to put in the work to make the transition from irons to a dot but the payoff is well worth it. I agree with everything 308pirate says above. I also have been shooting with a red dot on handguns for about 7 years. 1,000s of rounds.
20211222_171551.jpg

Reactions: 1911hombre
@Potsy one last thing, forget about how much a dot covers of the target. It's irrelevant.

Get the absolute largest dot size option that your chosen sight has.

All my RMRs have a 6.5 moa dot and all my SROs have 5 moa dots.

Trust me on this

I'd wait for the Aimpoint Acro P2.

I'd wait for the Aimpoint Acro P2.

Why? Who cares?

Steiner and Holosun already beat them with closed emitter sights that last more than a week on.

And even more who cares, closed emitter sights are a niche product for people who think open emitter RDS die or become unusable if they get wet or dusty

Why? Who cares?

Steiner and Holosun already beat them with closed emitter sights that last more than a week on.

And even more who cares, closed emitter sights are a niche product for people who think open emitter RDS die or become unusable if they get wet or dusty
You lost me at Holosun- a CCP funded and controlled company called Huanic.