• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handgun reloading question. Lee collet "crimp" vs Lee "carbide" crimp die.

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
Ok, so as I understand it, both of these dies are supposed to create what Lee calls a "factory crimp". What is the difference between the "collet" crimp and the "carbide" crimp. I really don't use Lee dies, except in handgun calibers.

First link shows the collet and factory crimp die for rifles.

Second link shows the carbide factory crimp die for pistol

First link shows the collet and factory crimp die for rifles.

Second link shows the carbide factory crimp die for pistol
Well, that does explain it. Thanks.

If you shoot plated bullets, before loading any significant amount, do an accuracy test. The Lee carbide crimp die has a sizer ring in it and may resize plated projos. It does not resize FMJs in my experience.

I loaded a small pile of 10mm plated and at 25m half missed a silhouette target and those that hit keyholed.

I did a more controlled test later, different brand of plated, both 9mm and 10mm. The Lee FCD generally tightened up the groups with FMJ/jacketed projos vs non-crimped. The plated generally had a larger group when the Lee FCD was used vs non-crimped.