• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Handgun - Surfire X300 Ultra - Or Something else?

darkstar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
In the woods or heading there..
I'm looking at handgun lights and I am thinking about getting the X300 ultra. The 500 lumens and the runtime looks pretty good to me.

Anyone out there in LE or the Mil that uses these have any thoughts on this or maybe another recommendation?

Thanks in advance,
DS

Re: Handgun - Surfire X300 Ultra - Or Something else?

I just went from the X300 to the Ultra on my M&P duty gun. Very happy with the output. I love it. You won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reinman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just went from the X300 to the Ultra on my M&P duty gun. Very happy with the output. I love it. You won't be disappointed.</div></div>

thanks for the feedback Reinman. For me, something like this is a one time purchase thing so I want to go for the best I can afford. Just curious but have you or your companions ever use a streamlight product?

I use the x 300. I am very happy with it.I con only imagine how the Ultra is

Can't do better than a Surefire for a weapons light.

Why the need for 500 Lumens on a pistol? Would 170 not cut it?

I love my x300 the only pistol it doesn't fit on is my caracal F
It's 10x better than the insight tech I had before

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the need for 500 Lumens on a pistol? Would 170 not cut it? </div></div>

Seriously? Years ago would you have said why 50 lumens would 15 not cut it? I don’t recall asking which keychain light does everybody recommend for opening the front door.
laugh.gif

The technology is changing, and if the 500 lumens comes with reliability and respectable battery life, why the hell not?
Over the years I spend a lot of time alone in the mountains and other locations working, traveling and performing tasks in the dark. Yes, there is a time and a place for lower lumens and then there is definitely a time and place when you wished you had all the light you could muster. I am of the thinking that if I need to point THIS type of device, I would want the power of an aircraft landing light spewing out in front of me.

There our some very experienced users and gear hounds up here. I am hoping to hear from them.

Not a weapons light but I recently went from a surefire executive defrender led that was 220 luemens to a surefire fury that's 500 luemens. After seeing the difference between the two I would definitely say the ultra is the way to go.

Im not a light expert by any means, but to add to what HD1911 said, might I suggest not getting such a bright light? Reason being, 1) the light can cause a washout effect when it shines on walls or even the ground if you need to look for something, leaving a big blob in the center of your sight and 2) in a room or even outside in some situations you have the small problem of lighting up the entire area (and yourself) for everyone to see, which is a very bad deal for defense situtations. If I might offer my opinion I would suggest a Streamlight TLR-1 C4, its not near as bright, but is very durable, cheaper, simple to use and has a very long battery life. If you want a light that has a much larger beam with more lumens I suggest getting a back up flashlight with the extra money saved? Best of luck deciding.

I have the ultra on my duty gun (Glock 35) I replaced the standard x300 with it. I love it especially with the pressure switch tail cap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious but have you or your companions ever use a streamlight product?</div></div>

I personally have not used the Streamlight, but know several who do. They seem durable enough, but I like the smaller size and greater output of the SureFire. Keep in mind the purpose of a weapon mounted light is to help ID potential threats and/or to tactically blind an attacker. IMHO the 500 lumen light does both better than the 170 lumen version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reinman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just went from the X300 to the Ultra on my M&P duty gun. Very happy with the output. I love it. You won't be disappointed.</div></div>
How about a quick outside pic of the two side by side so I can justify spending more money.

If you are going to use it outside get the ultra. If it is going to be used inside your home in the middle of the night the light reflection off of your walls will also blind you. Wake up in the middle of the night a shine a comparable light and see what happens to your vision. Especially if you have white walls.

The blinding power of the ultra is devastating and disorienting. A 200 lumen light will cause any bad guy to give pause, a 500 will hurt, bad. If you are primarily outside when you need your sidearm, I would say to get the ultra because that 500 lum is sweet, mega disorienting (a nonlethal option). If you are inside however, and point that bad boy at a mirror or some such reflective object while pie-ing a door or clearing a room, you may regret having such a devastatingly bright light on that weapon.

I think im going to pick up an ultra. What do you think about putting it on a carbine

I have used lots of Streamlights and Surefires.

For equivalent model weapon lights, I would pick the Streamlight EVERY TIME, it's not even a close comparison.

Having said that, Streamlight doesn't have anything comparable to the Ultra yet. The TLR-1 HP is not in the same class as the Ultra, but the price accurately reflects that (Ultra is twice as much)

I like the light a lot, and 500 lumens is more than optimally suited for carbine use. Again though, if you and that carbine are going inside make sure you aren't putting yourself at risk having such a bright light.

I have a x300 for the g19, and will get an ultra for my carbine when I can afford it.

I have a X300 on my duty weapon as well...I have used TLR 2's-the X300 is just a superior weapon light. It's tough, and BRIGHT-which in my opinion is exactly what you want. It's bright beam would certainly disorient a threat-you will not be disappointed.

Right, now I am leaning towards the 300 ultra for use in the mountains and I will stick with my good old 6P with the P61 for indoors. The only thing is battery life sucks with the P61 bulb.

I hear you on the light refraction and reflection issue indoors with the 500 lumens. I spend a lot of time walking in the dark in the mountains without any light until I NEED it. I has taken me years to get comfortable walking and doing tasks like this, but it has been worth the effort. When I think about after my eyes have adjusted, the idea of that kind of washout or reflection coming back at you, I can see where it will definitely work against you.

I am sure there is a technique you can develop for looking ahead of the light spot, but I can also see where that can work against you too in certain situations. Ultimately, you need that thing pointed directly where it needs to be pointed.