• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handgun Tips?

jbaker47

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Florida
I've grown up shooting bolt action rifles, I'm turning 21 in a couple months and would like to get the Sig Sauer P250 2 sum in 40 S&W. The only handgun I've ever been able to hit the broad side of a barn with is by buddy's FN five-seven. Any tips on how I could relate bolt action experience to handgun accuracy?

Re: Handgun Tips?

I don't have any tips on how to relate bolt action shooting to handgun shooting. However, if I may offer a suggestion, you may want to consider a gun other than the Sig P250. From what I have read, there have been a number of problems with them and they have developed a bad rap. I have heard that the Federal Air Marshals did adopt them but have pulled them from service as well.

I have a P250 in .40 it is a tack driver, I have around 600 rounds through it without a cleaning and it still goes bang.

It is so accurate it almost shoots itself.

the whole reason for the 2sum decision was so that i could have both a carry gun and a home defense/range gun for my first handgun. I'm not into choosing one or the other. this way i don't have to choose. im just not sure why i can drive tacks at distance with a bolt action but can't hit a basketball sized target reliably at 12 yards with a handgun....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: classicamerican</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the whole reason for the 2sum decision was so that i could have both a carry gun and a home defense/range gun for my first handgun. I'm not into choosing one or the other. this way i don't have to choose. im just not sure why i can drive tacks at distance with a bolt action but can't hit a basketball sized target reliably at 12 yards with a handgun.... </div></div>

Try a Colt 1911 45 ACP. My favorite is the SS Combat Commander. They just work.

The main two things that translate (for me) from rifles to handguns are as follows:

1)Pay attention to your front sight. Put your front sight where it needs to be and squeeze the trigger when it's at its proper place.

2)Pay attention to your trigger squeeze. Make your hands into as stable a platform as you can, and apply good trigger discipline. Squeeze evenly and don't jerk. Don't hold on your breathing while shooting; just breathe evenly and you'll have more consistency in your shots.

Squeeze the trigger evenly when your front sight is where it's supposed to be and your shots will go where they're supposed to. It's simple - just do it and don't make it too complicated.

These simple tips translate well from Bolt to Handgun.

Always treat the gun as loaded.
Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.
Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

CA,

I have been teaching pistol since 1997 and can tell you the best advice is to go take a class with a reputable instructor. The pistol has a tendency to allow people to pick up some nasty habits. Getting on track by taking a good class and building the fundamentals will pay off in the end.

Most good classes will run you anywhere from $200-$800 tuition and 250-1200 rounds depending on the length of the class. Sounds like a lot of money but it pays off in the end.

I'm with Cowboy Bravo. I couldn't hit the a barn, from inside the barn, with the doors closed with a pistol until I went to rifles only. Honestly, the 10 minutes of instruction they gave me the night before the class on proper grip plus a bunch of dry firing improved my shooting so much that I was shocked! Just a few simple things and then I was hitting targets. The rest of the class taught me more advanced skills that made me CONFIDENT with my pistol in any situation.
Also, I have a P250 in 9mm and I like it. I carry the subcompact and use the full size magazine as my spare. 12 in the SC +1 in the chamber, then 17 in the full size mag gets me 30 rounds to get myself out of the situation or to a rifle!
The only times I've had problems with my P250 is when loading a full size magazine into either frame plus one int he chamber, so 18 rounds, it jams on the first shot. After that, the rest shoot fine. The answer to that issue is pretty simple too. Don't load 18 rounds. I don't have that problem with the subcompact frame with the subcompact magazine, which is why I still carry it with 13 rounds.

First, get a good 22 pistol.
Practice with that 'til you can hit a basketball at 25 ft.
Then start shooting a larger bore.
The 22 will get you shooting without the recoil and noise, and will reduce the tendency to flinch, or jerk the trigger.
Getting a good teacher is a wise investment. A well trained instructor took my wife (5' 100 lb) from a 22 through 38, and 357 mag to a 44 mag, which she shoots with good accuracy.

+1 on getting a good .22 I shoot my MkIII more than any other pistol I own because I can afford to. I personally lean towards a 1911 for carry, but hey to each his own. Practice as much as you can with a good .22 and all of the skills you learn with that pistol will transition to any other pistol you choose. The same goes for rifles BTW. Any trigger time is good trigger time.
Patrick

as said before, get a good .22 to practice with. then sight picture, and consistent grip and squeeze. also dryfire practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as said before, get a good .22 to practice with. then sight picture, and consistent grip and squeeze. <span style="font-weight: bold">also dryfire practice.</span> </div></div>

Definitely vital as well, but <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> with your .22 pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as said before, get a good .22 to practice with. then sight picture, and consistent grip and squeeze. <span style="font-weight: bold">also dryfire practice.</span> </div></div>

Definitely vital as well, but <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> with your .22 pistol. </div></div>

good clarification...I forgot to say with your centerfire pistol...you dryfire with a rimfire you peen the edge of the breech, possibly allowing a failure to fire