• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Handgunning!

Re: Handgunning!

very nice . factory or custom barrel?
ive had a couple tc rifles and have been very immpressed with the acc, and quality.

The 7mm-08 is an amazing round in a well built handcannon. My XP100 in 7-08 used to be the most dependable gun I had beyond 300 yds. It still impresses me out to 500m but it stings after a while. misguided, you are a tougher guy than me if you are shooting a 7-08 out of an Encore....ouch!

Its a factory barrel.

And olympian, shoot a couple hundred rounds out of the s&w 460mag barrel in that setup and the 7-08 is a pleasure. Hell the 30-06 is a pleasure.

Been pistol hunting for about 9 years now. Love it!!!

Congrats on some fine eating!!

460 S&W is my next purchase can wait to take it out! how was the recoil I bet it was fun
wink.gif

I've been hunting with my 460 for two yrs now . Thing is a hammer for sure . Furthest shot so far has been 124yds on a doe. She went about two feet........straight down! Shot a few does and one eight pt buck. It's fun for sure .

This is a pic from the eve I got my 460mag barrel in. The UPS truck was barley out the drive and I was ready to touch one off. I gotta admit, I was scared shitless that first time. LOL. Hence the hardhat!

Nice pieces there. I have two contenders and really like them alot. Good shooting for sure.

gw- i only call her a junky les bear, cause my interest in IPSC waned. Shes floating around Dallas somewhere. I traded her for this:

460 S&W performance center with leupold scope I think will be a nice combo. I keep bidding on them on GB but always get outbid
frown.gif
is there any other scopes you would recommend over the Leupy?

Luppy is the way to go. Their variables offer "unlimited eye relief". The Burris EER's are great but the leupold is worth the extra jingle.

Awesome!!! Nice to see another handgunner out there. I've only taken my 357 out once this year. Gunna take it out next weekend though

Now you just have to get into bolt-guns! Then you can really start streaching your legs...
600pistol.jpg

It started life as an undesignated Savage Target action.

Zuba- More info please. What cal? What friggen scope is that?
What difference (basic) is that from a Striker?

It's chambered in 7wsm. It has a 17.5" Mcgowen barrel and runs a 168 smk at 2850 with no pressure. That was a 6.5x20 leupold rifle scope that I have now upgraded to a vx-3 6.5x20 longrange with a 30mm tube
smile.gif
with a good muzzle brake the recoil is about 2-3" straight back! I also have a stiker, striker triggers suck in my opinion and the target action comes large shank and has a pretty nice trigger... Also the target acion is a single shot. It was a half min 600 yard group, you cant see that far most places in WI so I'm proud of it. While out in WY this last fall I shot a group at 800 that wasn't much bigger!

Zuba- With the eye relief of a rifle scope, how does that work?

Topstrap- Whats your XP in? And please dont take this insulting but what the hell kind of mount is that? Is it simply some type of riser?

Cool rigs, both of you.

Did someone say Handguns?
.260 XP-100R
2008XP-100R8-Point.jpg

22-250 and .260 Xp-100R's
Guns221.jpg

454 Casull Raging Bull,500S&W and 45/70 Encore
Cannons.jpg

front to rear .260,.223,.35rem,22-250 XP-100R's
Guns1045.jpg

Thanks for the link Topstrap.

Scott. Can you say carpel tunnel syndrome? LOL Nice rigs.

Wow Scott that is a great collection. For "hunting" handguns the 460 will be my first. The idea of a rifle round in a easy to carry package is kinda interesting. Who are some quality makers of these types of pistols?

side_full_screen_shot1.jpg

dougs_buck_465_yrds.jpg

My .338 Lapua mag (20 in Bartlein barrel, Stiller action, Fat Bastard brake, McRee stock)
The buck was only 465 yrds but I did get a doe at 600. I kept shooting over their backs at 800-900 yrds. I need more practice!!
I've been handgun hunting pretty exclusively since 1986. I love it. Absolutely wouldn't have it any other way.

16 pounds as you see it! It's not mountain gun that's for sure, but that weight together with the brake really tames it. Believe it or not, I get zero muzzle rise, and about 2 inches of rearward movement when shooting 250 grain bullets at 2900 fps.

I'm having a lighter (11.5-12 pound)xp 100 built in .338 Norma Mag which will kick a bit more, but be much easier to lug up and down the mountains.

I have revolvers, and break opens too, but for long range shooting nothing really beats the consistancy of a bolt action.
I have a 15 inch .338 WSM in a mid grip xp 100 and a rear grip xp 100 in 7 SAUM. Both are very accurate. The .338 WSM will mimich .338/06 rifle performance sending 180 Nosler Accubonds along at 2850 fps. Recoil is extrememly mild too. The short barrels have a short dwell time which really helps reduce felt recoil. The .338 WSM is good out to about 300 yrds on Elk or smaller game. I took a medium sized black bear in Alaska with it a couple of years ago. The shot was around 250 yrds and the bear was drt.
Here is a photo of the .338 WSM and the 7 SAUM
30508338wsm_angled_web.jpg

305087mm_saum_sm.jpg

doug

Zuba, u is da' man my friend! and Doug, well he's just over the top...like Ernie..my God!

Here's some of my stuff, old and new--
7BR XP factory/Bushnell Banner 4-12x--
img023.jpg

tight-necked 7-08 XP/3-9x Burris--
img017.jpg

Another tight-necked XP 6.5-284/3-12x Burris BP reticle/turrets/475-yd. 1st shot PD in a 10 mph FV wind on a slow coyote-hunting day--
img018.jpg

Savage Striker 243 WSSM/4.4-14x VX-III/VH reticle and a 450-yd. antelope doe--
img015.jpg

6.5 WSM XP/Mk4 6.5-20x HUMR reticle/435 yd. coyote
066_66.jpg

Sav. Tgt. action/Mcgowen barrel/225 Win./Neallum stock/Unertl BV-20 with TK Lee reticle--
IMG_0626.jpg

and this UNLUCKY coyote--
906-ydcoyote.jpg

I deleted my other posts, sorry I did not follow the intended line of the thread by posting a picture of my long range SP. My favorite hunting handgun is my Ruger 44 with some SSK brake and action smoothing.

Most all of my other handguns have scopes on them but I really like the red dot for hunting, easy to pick up and follow on an animal if it's moving slowly thru the woods or in a low light area in heavy growth.

sskruger44ul0.jpg

Load is Hornady 240XTP, 24 gr. 4227 and CCI 350 primer with Federal cases. Very accurate out to 200+ yards and bullet expands very well.

Topstrap

Hey ogs, cool pistols. How did you get that little bitty copyrightmark on the bottom of them photos? Id be really interested in doing that to some of mine.

I have tried and tried on numerous occasions to capture a fireball out of my 460. Great pic Scott.

Mine is a Ruger Blackhawk currently in the processes of becoming a .475 Linebaugh. I will post some pics of her when i get it done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mis-guided child</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey ogs, cool pistols. How did you get that little bitty copyrightmark on the bottom of them photos? Id be really interested in doing that to some of mine. </div></div>
This pic was on gunbroker when I bought it. I asked the seller if I could use it because it was such a great pic.

Most of the pic host sites allow you to add text. I'm using photobucket.
016-2.jpg

Thks. Here's the TK Lee reticle i put in it at 3 MOA spacing--

IMG_0675.jpg

I kinda' wanted something that had probably never been done before. Plus a vintage scope for a vintage cartridge. Now i just have to go out and shoot it.

Ok, so Im a novice at this too. But how are you big boys running rifle scopes on them p-shooters?
Are the scopes enhanced some way to extend the eye relief?
Or are you putting your mug up there that close?

I believe this is the first time out with the 7wsm with a Holland QD brake, the brakes are what makes the rifle scopes possible. He's a little 'scope shy' in the vid but now he's a lot closer.
With more recoil you get on target and move back for the shot. The pistols scopes just don't have enough power IMO.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v135/yotefever/Savages/?action=view&current=Matts7wsm2.flv

Steve who would have guessed you posting a pic of a reticle?
laugh.gif

Sure are some fine looking rigs posted!

Nooo shit! Thanks yotefever! I got wheels turning and Im smelling my clutch burning. I never woulda thunk it.

Some of us like shooting silhouettes for practice during the summer. Here is a vid of some 500m shooting in the creedmore position. (not a good pic of the shooter shooting)
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sn8tTLzR2b0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sn8tTLzR2b0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You can check out more vids that show the 2 minute sequence for a regular match from 50m to 200m, from pigs to rams, that gun zorro has on utube. Jim is a very good shooter.
If interested I can get you info for silhouettes and I would bet money you will be asked to try a gun or two if you show up at a match.

My scopes aren't enhanced, and I don't put my big mug up close.
I usually come in close to get on target then pull my eye back. I get a partial field of view, but it's all I need. Plus the smaller field of view allows me to center the cross hair to reduce parralax.
The guns don't move as much as you think they might. My Lapua weighs 16 pounds, and with the APA brake it moves straight back about 2 inches max with no hop.
With a good brake, (I prefer a baffle style, and preffably a radial design) the guns really are very stable. You don't need a death grip to control them.
I think the shorter barrels with their shorter dwell time for the bullet helps too.

yotefever, definately interested. I have searched my AO for such
with no luck.

So if a pup wanted get off the porch it appears a bolt gun is the cats meow. I have seen and held the Savage Striker, the Weatherby whatever, and the XP's. But never owned or fired one.

Would I be polishing a turd to put a brake on my encore? I assume its a decent enough starting platform.