• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handheld Radios

jeff89

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2004
Aurora, CO
Let me say first I know next to nothing about radios. I am willing to learn and get a license if needed to have a radio that will do what I want it to do. I'm hoping that someone here knows more then I do and can recommend one. I want a quality unit, but not a top of the line expensive one. It needs to work well in the mountains! I'll be using it primarly for talking to the rifle pitts at 1000 yards and in the ski season to keep in touch with my wife when we each go our own ways. I've heard there are some units that can also use FRS / GMRS and it'd be nice if this unit could do that so I could also use it to talk to other friends who have those. Repeater capability would be nice, but I'm not willing to pay a premium for it. Any idea's?

Thanks!
Jeff

Re: Handheld Radios

If you only need line-of-sight communications over relatively short distance, such as at a shooting range or on a ski slope, then FRS/GMRS type radios would work fine, even those little Motorola handy-talkies that come in 2-packs work well in those conditions (except when ski slopes are busy and due to their limited bandwidth, other people keep getting on your channel). If you want to be able to use repeaters in order to communicate over much longer distances, like from in the mountains to back home, then you will need to use the Amateur Radio bands, 2 meters being the most popular for this type of thing. A decent, no frills, handheld transciever capable of doing this can be had for under $150: http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/2222.html You will need a "Technician Class" Amateur Radio License from the FCC to use this, but they are cheap and relatively easy to get.

I would encourage you to get your Amateur License, BTW. You will learn a lot in the process of studying for your test, and will become able to communicate as far as you want, with no network support other than a battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I ask as to what license youre talking about? Just curious </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you only need line-of-sight communications over relatively short distance, such as at a shooting range or on a ski slope, then FRS/GMRS type radios would work fine, even those little Motorola handy-talkies that come in 2-packs work well in those conditions (except when ski slopes are busy and due to their limited bandwidth, other people keep getting on your channel). If you want to be able to use repeaters in order to communicate over much longer distances, like from in the mountains to back home, then you will need to use the Amateur Radio bands, 2 meters being the most popular for this type of thing. A decent, no frills, handheld transciever capable of doing this can be had for under $150: http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/2222.html You will need a <span style="font-weight: bold">"Technician Class" Amateur Radio License from the FCC </span>to use this, but they are cheap and relatively easy to get.</div></div>

Thanks for the info. I tried to use a GMRS radio from wallyworld this past weekend and we couldn't communicate past 400 yards unless they came out of the pits. I also tried to use the same radio last ski season with disappointing results. We could only raise each other about half the time! I'll look into the 2 meter radio's.

get yourself a study book by ARRL." technicial class license manual for ham radio". everything you need to know to pass the tech test is in this book. when you are ready to take the test go to www.arrl.org and look up your city for exam times, location and contact phone # its that easy

I have midland 950's and I have talked 10+ miles line of sight and 2 miles with large hills rims and trees for interference. For the money you can't go wrong.

Take a look at the commerically available CB radios for the 1000 yard range. You can have just the upper 1/3 of the antenna sticking above the berm (base station, not a handheld) and still get good LOS reception, and I've talked as far as 18 miles on a good day with a properly tuned setup. On a bad day, I'll still get 3-4 miles range out of it. For a base station setup, the antenna and wire is where the distance and quality stay. For a handheld, any name brand should serve you well.

This <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> the Hide net.
laugh.gif

de AK5N

Agree with above posts regarding "get your licence". FCC dropped the Morse Code requirement several years ago. The study guides are great, but you may find a ham radio class more informative and enjoyable.

If you are looking for FRS/GMRS radios, I just posted on "Best GPS" on this forum regarding an integrated GPS/Radio that might be good for the slopes - it displays location of the other units.

Lindy and lostangel - we need to add a "RF COM" forum?

N5KOD

I'm pretty much inactive with respect to HF, because I live in an RV park, and I've neither room nor permission to put up my phased vertical multiband antenna array.

There are lots of other places to talk about RF communication, and little in terms of shooting application.

There is already, to my taste, too much traffic on this board which isn't shooting related. I'd prefer not to add to it.

Did not mean to come across as serious regarding another board . . .

I totally agree with your above post.