• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Handheld wind meters

Hardmix

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Cumming, Ga
I am looking at purchasing a Krestel but to be honest, I am not sure what options are really needed. Can some of you with experience weigh in on features that are used and those that are fluff.

Hardmix

Re: Handheld wind meters

what you need to consider is the ballistics program you will be using in the field if any???
I am using the Itouch and the bullet flight program now also using the simulation Shooter ready program. this program uses the options that the kestral 4500 has

Bill

I have a Kestrel 2500, which I bought over a year ago. It's a nice device, well made and with a good display. It has a anemometer, thermometer, etc.

I used it for a little while as it was fun to see at what speed the wind was blowing. Then I discovered that it was sort of useless for LR shooting, the flags downrange were more important. So, for competition at known distances, I have no need for it. It stays in my shooting box and doesn't come out any more. Maybe if I kept a more detailed log of my scores, I would want to put in exact temperature, barometric pressure, etc, but I don't; I just keep score, elevation and general conditions.

The wind meter and features will be dependant on the type of shooting you do. KD vs. UKD. Let us know what type of shooting you primarly do.

Trevor

Gents tks for the input. Here are my thoughts on this subject, please keep in mind I have never used one of these units so I could be way off base. I think having verified wind speed at the shooting position could be very helpful in reading wind in the first couple hundred yards which is probably the most critical time in the bullets flight.

I would think you could do this by comparing the foliage at the shooting position which is blowing at X angle. Then compare the foliage movement out over several hundred yards to get a more accurate wind measurement.

Am I way off base here?

As for all of the other stuff on these units, I think it might be information overload for me but I wanted to hear from the voice of experience.

in response to the question about my shooting, it will be 90% KD at various ranges with the balance in south Ga fields hunting.

Hardmix

There are a lot more factors then just wind that go into accurate long range shooting.

Temp, Baro Pressure, Humidity, Elevation will all have an influence on the ballistic performance of a given bullet.

A Kestral gives you all these. A simple wind meter does not.

Hey Hardmix

There were two things that you did not mention, long distance shooting and UKD. You did mention hunting, KD and staying local so for that I don't think you will need the features that are offered on the high end models, they are nice haves but may not be necessary in your case. Density altitude and the likes

I think you would be happy with the 2000 or 2500 kestrel as they would give you the basic information without all the extras and cost assoc with the higher dollar models. You could use a ballistic program like JBM and find out what you local altitude is to get an idea of what the drop tables would be for your area. The JBM program also allows you to vary the temps so you would have a rough idea for the time of year you would be shooting in

For a review of the features of various meters here is an excellent article from Zak smith on windmeters.
demigodllc.com/articles/windmeters-for-tactical-shooting/

Thanks
Trevor

I know the wind can vary, but assuming a constant wind all along the bullet's trajectory, wouldn't it be more affected by the wind at longer range because it is not traveling as fast? In other words, the wind has more time to act on the bullet between 700 and 800 yards than it does between 200 and 300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the wind can vary, but assuming a constant wind all along the bullet's trajectory, wouldn't it be more affected by the wind at longer range because it is not traveling as fast? In other words, the wind has more time to act on the bullet between 700 and 800 yards than it does between 200 and 300 yards. </div></div>

Though it may be true that the wind may act on it more at distance due to slower velocity, the result of the wind acting closer to the rifle has more impact on final point of impact due to the deviation of the angle of trajetory. If I move the projectiles path 1 degree at the beginning of the 1000 yard flight path, it will influence the POI more than moving it 2 degrees at 900 yards. The earlier the deviation in the flight of the bullet, the more profound the resulting POI shift.

Dave, tks for the links, good info.

Trevor, I will be shooting up to 1000yds with most trigger time 3-700yds. I have been looking at the Kestrel 2500, it seems to be a good fit. As for a ballistics program, I am pretty much screwed...I have a Blackberry! The search function has not turned up a program that is compatible with the BB that anyone likes.

You guys have given me some great responses and resources. I appreciate all of the help.

Hardmix

FWIW, get one that will give you DA. It simplifies things and gives you the ability to make a simple data chart.