• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handload or just shoot 175 FGMM? .308

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
What's you guys opinion on this? Looks like I can buy loaded ammo for a small amount over handloading. Can I make a load much more suited to my rifle? I'm thinking about just starting to collect lots of brass for when my rifle is ready, just don't really know if I should collect brass/components or loaded FGMM...

Re: Handload or just shoot 175 FGMM? .308

You can probably get a bit better with handloads, but it's hard to know without knowing how well GMM runs in your particular gun. As for me, I really enjoy reloading, and I get a great amount of satisfaction from shooting my own handiwork, so all things even, I would load my own.

I wouldn't handload if I didn't have to. The big problem is that fgmm brass sucks for reloading and you may only get a couple loads out of it. You'd probably be ahead in the long run if you bought good brass and made your own.

If your buying new brass the cost is about the same to load vs buy. But you start "making" money when you reload the 2-6 or so time and those loads are about half price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't handload if I didn't have to. The big problem is that fgmm brass sucks for reloading and you may only get a couple loads out of it. You'd probably be ahead in the long run if you bought good brass and made your own.

If your buying new brass the cost is about the same to load vs buy. But you start "making" money when you reload the 2-6 or so time and those loads are about half price. </div></div>

That's good to know about the FGMM brass sucking! I figured it was pretty good. I'm looking into getting a pot load of Winchester. I've read it is hard and last quite a few reloadings. I'd love Lapua, but at 2x the Win brass I'll pass...

Keep the comments coming!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't handload if I didn't have to. The big problem is that fgmm brass sucks for reloading and you may only get a couple loads out of it. You'd probably be ahead in the long run if you bought good brass and made your own.

If your buying new brass the cost is about the same to load vs buy. But you start "making" money when you reload the 2-6 or so time and those loads are about half price. </div></div>

When compared with Lapua, Federal brass doesn't tend to last as long, especially if you load hot. However, I have not had any problems reloading my Federal brass... I have one batch on 5 firings, and the primer pockets are still holding. Not too bad for "crap" brass. Better than throwing it out, says I!

It is cheaper to reload (my 178 amax loads are about 50-55 cents per), and yes you can make a load that is more suited to your rifle (whether or not you can shoot well enough to tell the difference is another story, I certainly cannot).

If you've got the bucks and just want a case of ammo then go for it. If I could afford to spend a dollar a round for 175 FGMM I would have lots and lots of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's you guys opinion on this? Looks like I can buy loaded ammo for a small amount over handloading. Can I make a load much more suited to my rifle? I'm thinking about just starting to collect lots of brass for when my rifle is ready, just don't really know if I should collect brass/components or loaded FGMM... </div></div>
Depending on your rifle you can load a safe accurate and faster bullet than you can buy.
I am currently running my 175 SMK's at 2720 from my rifle and I would be about 100 fps slower with factory ammo.
Now, are you just getting into the reloading game? because if you are it is not a cheap investment, and buying factory ammo might be a good choice for the mean time. Also look at Southwestern ammo as they are offering it at $1. per shot, which is a great price.
Happy shooting,
SScott

If I could afford it, I'd probably just shoot the FGMM ammo. Hand loading takes time. The upside to hand loading is that you could develop a load that shoots better in your gun and as already mentioned, a load that goes faster.

BTW, I use Lapua brass. It isn't twice as much as Winchester. It's actually about 40% more than Winchester, but is more consistent and lasts longer. I usually get higher velocities out of Lapua for any given load too. I usually have to bump up a grain when using Winchester brass. 42.6gr of RL15 with a 175SMK gets me 2600 fps out of my 22" Krieger barrel. To get that with Winchester brass, I have to go to almost 44gr.

Handloading is a hobby within a hobby... whats not to love about that!

I think passionate handloaders enjoy their hobby of shooting alot more.

When the day comes that you punch a clovered long range group using your handloads, you will smile and be glad at what you have acheived.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could afford it, I'd probably just shoot the FGMM ammo. Hand loading takes time. The upside to hand loading is that you could develop a load that shoots better in your gun and as already mentioned, a load that goes faster.

BTW, I use Lapua brass. It isn't twice as much as Winchester. It's actually about 40% more than Winchester, but is more consistent and lasts longer. I usually get higher velocities out of Lapua for any given load too. I usually have to bump up a grain when using Winchester brass. 42.6gr of RL15 with a 175SMK gets me 2600 fps out of my 22" Krieger barrel. To get that with Winchester brass, I have to go to almost 44gr. </div></div>

Hey man in my eyes 40% is a lot closer to a double than a quarter, lol. Cheapest I've found Lapua is $.65/each with Winchester being $.37/each, can you get it cheaper? Is it worth the extra or just have double (pretty much!) Winchester...

The way I've got it figured with the Winchester brass it's going to be right at $.90/round compared to $1.06 or so for the FGMM.

The reason I'm being so chinchy is because I'm thinking about reloading 500-1000 rounds. Would I be better off loading 2-300 rnds of lapua just for the sake of having the best brass you can buy? Forget quantity and go for quality?

BTW I have all the stuff to reload just not the dies for .308...RCBS Rock Chucker, etc.

For some reloading might well be cheaper than buying good quality ammunition but not for me. I reload for two reasons:

1. i've found something i enjoy that i actually think (incorrectly of course) that i can control

2. i used to buy and shoot 200+ quality rounds a session. Reloading has forced me to slowdown and think much more. I'm not trying to save money but I am trying to make the most of every shot. I am learning something with almost every shot and that wasn't the case with loaded factory ammo.

I think it comes down to an honest assessment of how much shooting you are actually going to do. If you don't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a year then you are probably better off buying ammo.

If on the other hand you go through a couple hundred rounds a month then reloading offers many advantages. Like has been said already reloading offers you the chance to custom make a cartridge for your weapon(s) that is more accurate and ballistically superior to factory loads. While your initial financial investment is substantial your economy of scale pays you back quickly.

As for your calculation of cost per reload I think you are way off. Lots of projos are about $0.35 each. Even though Lapua brass is initially expensive it can be reloaded conservatively let's say 10 times so $0.90 is closer to $0.09 per use. Primers are about $0.03 a piece, and powder is about $0.05 per load. Total cost: about $0.52 per bullet. Compare that to the $1.06 a bullet you are talking about buying and you can see how over the course of hundreds or thousands of rounds that reloading can save a lot of money.

Imagine you have a hot rod. Do you think when you floor it and go hauling down the strip you would enjoy it more and have more pride in it if you built the motor or paid some other guy to do it?

Let me also add that reloading opens up a new world of cartridges that you can now use and make match ammo for. I have a 7WSM and a 6.5x47mm that are ballistically awesome. As far as I know you can't get commercial match ammo for either one and paying a small custom manufacturer would be pretty pricey.

I started reloading for the accuracy. I ran the numbers last week on what it costs me to reload. I buy Varget by the pound not 8 pound from a local vender. I get my Sierra match kings and brass from a wholesaler our store deals with, and I buy my primers from Walmart. Here is the run down on my .308 load...168smk $.34, 45.7 varget $.14, CCI primers $.04, RP or winchester brass $.60(when I have to buy new brass). Now, that's $1.12 per round the first time I load with new brass not even considering my time spent. I can buy Southwest Ammo .308 for a dollar a round. I can get more than 10 reloads out my brass, so that helps some on spreading out the cost. I shoot close to a 1000 rounds a year( which is not as much as I would like) but, it is truly not enough for me to justify reloading if I consider the time I miss with my family. Now, if the store bought ammo shoots as well as my reloads(considering the driver) I'd be better of buying the ammo and selling the once fired brass. But, I do enjoy the challenge of finding a load for each of my rifles and the satisfaction of knowing I've done the job right. That was close...I almost talked myself out of reloading!

I reload for the satisifaction, I have never done the exact math, just figured it was cheaper than factory ammo. As far as family time, more often than not I have a 5 year old sitting on my lap for the first hour or so. So I enjoy the hobby within a hobby as stated earlier, I work family time into it and in the long run have a more accurate, flatter trajectory load developed for my 6.5 creedmoor using 130 gr bergers which aren't available in a factory load. When they are available that is. I know the original poster mentioned 308 and that obviously has a lot more factory options than my chosen caliber. my 2 cents.

I was in the same boat about 2 years ago as you wondering what to do? I had done some reloading with my Father when I was young but truth be told I let him do all the work and didnt learn it like I should have. so 2years ago I started saving brass (waste of time I only buy good brass now), slowly purchased gear, more gear , some....mo gear you get the picture (still am ha) and got back into it.
I love it for the sake of rolling your own so to speak. I learned how to load again starting with the basics, shot alot of my loads read alot of stuff online, books etc. I liked the results so i moved into a little more advanced stuff for me like bumping shoulders, case neck tension, brass annealing etc slowly but surely learning as I go and I AM STILL LEARING. I will say I definately get better accuracy with handloads and I had shot FGMM with pride and great results for years! But you cant beat, running a ladder test and finding a good accuracy node for your rifle then playing with other options seating depth, primer powder combos, bullets whatever.
I enjoy the discovery aspect of it. its become a hobby I enjoy. And with a Bone stock 300 WIn Mag Remmy Sendero I shot a 3 shot group last week at just about 500 yards and covered it with a quarter. (I was happy needles to say as that was my best group ever) So just in case I thought it was a fluke I loaded up some more of that load and went for a 5 shot group yesterday. I covered 3 with a quarter and 2 were bout 1.5 inches left of those 3. The freaking vertical dispersion for all 5 was less than 1 inch!!!So this reloading thing must work sometimes I figured lol. If you do it right.
And I learned and am learnig from guys on the hide for that Im thankful guys!
So if you just wanna grab a gun go shoot accurately with no worries go FGMM it wont do you wrong, if you want enjoy it as a hobby and maybe even compete in some matches and get close to the top guys handloads are a must.

I really enjoy loading my own ammo so that is enough reason for me. However, I have found that I can produce a round that shoots better than the FGMM in my rifle. Also I have seen FGMM show signs of excessive pressure in my friend's Mod 700. Makes me a little nervous. It may just have been a bad lot, because it didn't happen with a different lot.

some people really enjoy loading their own ammo. However, there is something to be said about adjusting the COAL for your own chamber/throat and based off of my experiences to create a round that it is pretty much a FGMM and also very similar to the M118 it cost about .60 a round (i think actually .59/rnd) if you replace the brass every three uses.

FGMMM, BlackHills and others are good, consistent cartridges. They may not be the peak of accuracy, but they are accurate enough for most people.
Someday you may want to venture out of the .308 Winchester shell and try a caliber that is not factory loaded, or you want distance with a heavier bullet, or a ballisticaly superior bullet that really outperforms the FGMM cartridge.
<span style="font-style: italic">THEN</span> you will <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> to reload if you want to continue to shoot.
I am a huge fan of the Remington Short Action Utra Magnums.
I have developed some tremendously accurate loads with the 190 gr SMK's. I can't buy the factory RSAUM's in 190 grains anymore, and if I could, they were never as accurate as the reloads I made on my own. The RSAUM's are also getting more difficult to find in factory loadings.
Another reason to reload is if you are necking brass up or down for performance. You usually can't buy the necked brass so you have to make it yourself.
As stated earlier getting set-up to reload is <span style="font-weight: bold">expensive</span> and it is a bit of a habit once you get going and want to upgrade your equipment. I am currently learning to neck down 7.62 mm to 7mm to shoot 180 gr. Berger VLD's. If I were to go try and buy 7mm WSM factory stuff, I'll have limited options in bullet weight and type, and <span style="font-style: italic">all of it </span>is for hunting.
Currently with the cost of all of the components, tax, hazmat charges, and driving around to find certain things, I think I am paying retail prices to reload my own stuff. But it's fun!

Some see reloading as a chore - I personally find it enjoyable and a part of the whole shoting sports experience. So much so that I built a deidcated reloading room in my house. After years of freezing in the arage, this definitely takes things up a notch. My 4 year old can also help with a few activities, which is something he thinks is super cool to do with dad - the same sentiment I had when I learned to reload with my dad almost 30 years ago now. The other reasons above also apply - ability to customize loads, load hot, control your own destiny (and Q/C) ability to shoot off the beaten path calibers, and cost savings all play into the equation.

It does take a while to recoup the cost of your reloading equipment, but in a way it is like guns - unless you actually use it enough to wear it out, it holds value quite well if you ever decide to get out. I've seen 20-30 year old presses sell for 70% of new price, and many times what their original cost was.

If all you are ever going to shoot is 308 FGMM and 22 rimfire, and you don't have the space, time, or want to learn, reloading is probably not for you. If you branch beyond that, you may find it will help your game, and possibly in the long run, your pocketbook. I don't know what you can find FGMM for, but around here it isn't cheap - the savings add up quickly.

Casey

25 cents for a 178 amax, 2.8cents a primer, 30 cents per win brass (really about 5-10 cents depending on how many loads you get out of it) and then 43.5 grains of varget which I got for ~149 per 8lb. Now, if you you LC brass you can get it 1x fired for about half to a third the cost of new win brass, and if you use surplus powder (WC846 is the way to go for 223 + 308) you can halve the powder cost. Also, if you go for 168 loads the 168 nosler is 18-19 cents per in 1k bulk packs and shoots as well as a 168 SMK. Great bullet at a great price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some see reloading as a chore - I personally find it enjoyable and a part of the whole shoting sports experience.</div></div>

Great, come to my house and make me some ammo. I have about 350 mixed 223 cases that need trimming and prepping, you can start whenever you like.

Thanks for all the replys guys! Lots of good information. I actually have everything setup in a room in my house with my ammo locker, safe, loading bench, etc. I currently reload for 6.5 Grendel, 300 RUM, .223, and 22-250. Granted I don't load a ton for them, but I do do it. I'm also working on a 7mm SAUM that will be getting a MCM stock etc this week. I'm wanting a .308 for shooting a TON! I don't know whether I'll get to shoot it 500 or 2,000 a year, but I'd like to get up there.

After reading and doing some figuring it looks like I've found some Lapua brass for $.57/case. This coupled with 190 bergers or jlk's and varget in my "soon to be built" 20" rock creek barrel should be pretty impressive way out there. I'm going to get with my Gunsmith when it's time and see about chambering it for that exact load at mag lenth. I think for distance that would be a much better bullet than the 168 or 175's. The 208amax would be nice, but it needs to be loaded to long.

At first I was trying to make this a rifle to shoot a lot cheaply, but really what the heck is the point in having a custom rifle w/o custom ammo!

Think I would be better served with a .260 or 6.5x47? I think chunking the heavy 30's would be bad ass though....

To be honest with you, I would probably still reload if it was more expensive. There is a certain amount of satisfaction I get from making my own bullets. I am a DYI guy. I don't care what it is (even some dentistry seems doable). So is cost the only factor ('cause remember reloading equipment isn't usually free) or making a better tailor made round the issue? Why don't you buy the factory ammo, take it apart and then put it back together. Hey then you get both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I buy my primers from Walmart. </div></div>

For real?! I had no idea that Walmart would sell primers.

KPK,

Try some of Hornady's match 168's or the 178's. They shot just as good as the FGMM stuff out of my LRT you may find they work great also. They are cheaper and the brass holds up really well. I have some I've loaded at least 10X's and I have not annealed them yet. My load is not super hot but it gets to 1k out of a 20" tube (308). The load is 44.5 RL-15 over a BR2 primer with 178GR amax.

Ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I started reloading for the accuracy. I ran the numbers last week on what it costs me to reload. I buy Varget by the pound not 8 pound from a local vender. I get my Sierra match kings and brass from a wholesaler our store deals with, and I buy my primers from Walmart. Here is the run down on my .308 load...168smk $.34, 45.7 varget $.14, CCI primers $.04, RP or winchester brass $.60(when I have to buy new brass). Now, that's $1.12 per round the first time I load with new brass not even considering my time spent. I can buy Southwest Ammo .308 for a dollar a round. I can get more than 10 reloads out my brass, so that helps some on spreading out the cost. I shoot close to a 1000 rounds a year( which is not as much as I would like) but, it is truly not enough for me to justify reloading if I consider the time I miss with my family. Now, if the store bought ammo shoots as well as my reloads(considering the driver) I'd be better of buying the ammo and selling the once fired brass. But, I do enjoy the challenge of finding a load for each of my rifles and the satisfaction of knowing I've done the job right. That was close...I almost talked myself out of reloading! </div></div> Pretty informative. I am just getting into buying the equipment and need a good starting point. Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scap99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I buy my primers from Walmart. </div></div>

For real?! I had no idea that Walmart would sell primers. </div></div>

One of the two here has reloading supplies. I can buy varget for $25/lb and cci primers. I usually have to go behind the counter and show them what I want though.

Zerodown, those numbers only represent the continuous cost not the initial buy in. I was lucky enough to get a few hundred dollars worth of Cabelas gift cards a few years ago for Christmas. That is what I used for the purchase of my original set up. But, like someone mentioned above, if you stay at it very long you'll upgrade. Go ahead and buy the good stuff first, it's cheaper because you'll end up buying any way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replys guys! Lots of good information. I actually have everything setup in a room in my house with my ammo locker, safe, loading bench, etc. I currently reload for 6.5 Grendel, 300 RUM, .223, and 22-250. Granted I don't load a ton for them, but I do do it. I'm also working on a 7mm SAUM that will be getting a MCM stock etc this week. I'm wanting a .308 for shooting a TON! I don't know whether I'll get to shoot it 500 or 2,000 a year, but I'd like to get up there.

After reading and doing some figuring it looks like I've found some Lapua brass for $.57/case. This coupled with 190 bergers or jlk's and varget in my "soon to be built" 20" rock creek barrel should be pretty impressive way out there. I'm going to get with my Gunsmith when it's time and see about chambering it for that exact load at mag lenth. I think for distance that would be a much better bullet than the 168 or 175's. The 208amax would be nice, but it needs to be loaded to long.

At first I was trying to make this a rifle to shoot a lot cheaply, but really what the heck is the point in having a custom rifle w/o custom ammo!

Think I would be better served with a .260 or 6.5x47? I think chunking the heavy 30's would be bad ass though.... </div></div>

If you already have the reloading equipment and room setup you are really only into it for the cost of a set of good dies. We've recently started using Redding's Competition bushing dies in .308Win and our initial tests are showing very good results. We have already seen WELL under half MOA groups on a very gusty day of testing using common off the shelf components out of a TacOps X-Ray with a 22" barrel at 2,650fps. Now we just have to tune the load a bit by shooting a couple of ladders and tweaking the ogive depth. Maybe we'll even beat that sub 1/4 MOA test target that came with the weapon.

Look at it this way, if you have a barrel chambered with a custom reamer for SMK 175 FGMM rounds you can nearly perfectly duplicate that round for about $0.47 per round with just about any of the better powders primers and 175SMK bullet using good brass and with a conservative six shot brass life. If you shoot at all this is more than 50% off the BEST price for FGMM these days. Relaoding is also a good way to spend a day in the garage, technically interesting and if you have any reloading skills your groups should shrink significantly at 800-100 yards. Hard to beat IMO.

Hope this helps!

what are you trying to accomplish? if it's just a cost issue, buy the FGMM and don't think twice.

if your preparing to buy 500 to 1000 rounds, i doubt it's accuracy. I reload, I wouldn't bother shooting any of my bolt guns if i didn't. I've never achieved sub MOA with any factory ammo, i get closer to 1/2 MOA with handloads, and i love the hobby. I'm assuming you're shooting it out of a semi auto configuration and a marginal level of accuracy is ok, then go with the FGMM...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are you trying to accomplish?</div></div>

Good question. The OP has not posted what he hoped to achieve but ammo cost seems to be a big issue for him per his posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it's just a cost issue, buy the FGMM and don't think twice.</div></div>

I strongly disagree. Did you read the OP's posts or others in this thread? Even using the highest quality reloading components the cost of .308Win ammo is half the price of the best deal to be had for 175SMK FGMM even starting with new brass and tossing them out only half used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your preparing to buy 500 to 1000 rounds, i doubt it's accuracy. I reload, I wouldn't bother shooting any of my bolt guns if i didn't. I've never achieved sub MOA with any factory ammo, i get closer to 1/2 MOA with handloads, and i love the hobby. I'm assuming you're shooting it out of a semi auto configuration and a marginal level of accuracy is ok, then go with the FGMM... </div></div>

I can't say for EVERY Tac-Ops rifle out there but the Tac-Ops X-Ray we are reloading for shoots WELL under 1/4MOA on 175SMK FGMM. Heck, my 1970's vintage Remington 700 Varmint special out of the box was well under 1/2MOA on factory fodder and closer to 1/4MOA with minor tuning work and handloads. If your bolt gun with factory ammo is not shooting at least sub MOA your bolt gun is worn out, out of spec or the problem is not the with the rifle or ammo.

Price difference per 100 is $58 vs $39 for Lapua vs Win at Powdervalley, just for reference. There maybe cheaper and more expensive sources. Win is not in stock though.
Whether its "worth" the extra $$ depends on you, in my opinion. I've had to cull Win but not Lapua. Not for little things, but for grossly deformed shoulder and neck, in brand in bag of brass. So right there, the Win cost just went up for the remaining pieces. Both are good, Lapua is "better" in consistency and overall product QA. It saves me time in that I don't neck turn, fiddle with primer pocket or flashhole because its good out of the box. Not necessarily so with others. That saves me time, and time is money. And I have peace of mind that it will not be the weak link in the platform. Win is good brass, I use it for 300-600yd prone, but Lapua for 600-1K in bolt guns, but LC for the M1A as it will take the beating from the M1A better.

Lots of great info here guys. Thanks

To tell you the truth I'm just a tight ass and try to save at any corner I can. After reading a lot this is the worst place to skimp! Especially when spending $3K on a rifle. It's going to be a Surgeon RSR, Surgeon DBM, MCM A5, etc. Got all but the stock.

Anyways for now I'm thinking about buying a couple hundred Lapua brass, 190 Bergers, etc. Loading them to mag length and get with my gunsmith about chambering for this round. What do you guys think? I guess he can taylor the chamber around the loaded case? Although I'd like to be able to shoot the 208 amax's as well. I guess that wouldn't be a problem though.

After really crunching the numbers it's not going to be much different if you just count components and I'll get Lapua brass and a round perfect for my rifle...can't beat that!

Suggest me some loads for the 190's!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were I not to reload, I would strongly look at SW Ammo or Corbon rather than FGMM. SW Ammo's prices are unbeatable:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2336867&page=1 </div></div>

The best current prices on FGMM SMK175s is $1.00 a round plus shipping. FGMM is pretty much the gold standard in factory loaded match ammo. This has been tested and published by several sources.

I appreciate your reply, but I did not post "what are you trying to accomplish" so I can earn a pat on the back. I'm interested in what he had to say.

For clarification, I strongly disagree with your strongly disagree comment...you forgot the press, thrower, dies...people get too caught up in $ per round. If you keep accurate record of the dollars you spend on reloading as a whole, most people spend more on reloading than on just buying the ammo and shooting it. I can buy my 338 lapua ammo for $7 per round or i can reload it for $1.20 or so, is that an accurate breakdown of cost...absolutely not!

That's a bold statment about your vintage 700 shooting 1/2 MOA with factory ammo. the problem with most Remington's out there is they set the rifling too far out, which absolutely ruins accuracy. It does not allow the average reloader to have the catridge OAL accidentally set too long which would cause pressure problems. So they sacrifice accuracy for liability purposes. When i first got my 700, i put some federal gold through it and the accuracy was not MOA, it had nothing to do with my gun being worn out. I started reloading and .3 to .6 MOA is were i a now with bullets set out to 2.920"+ OAL... Your vintage may be a needle in a haystack rifle, but I think what you're saying is a bit of a strech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are you trying to accomplish?</div></div>

Good question. The OP has not posted what he hoped to achieve but ammo cost seems to be a big issue for him per his posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it's just a cost issue, buy the FGMM and don't think twice.</div></div>

I strongly disagree. Did you read the OP's posts or others in this thread? Even using the highest quality reloading components the cost of .308Win ammo is half the price of the best deal to be had for 175SMK FGMM even starting with new brass and tossing them out only half used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your preparing to buy 500 to 1000 rounds, i doubt it's accuracy. I reload, I wouldn't bother shooting any of my bolt guns if i didn't. I've never achieved sub MOA with any factory ammo, i get closer to 1/2 MOA with handloads, and i love the hobby. I'm assuming you're shooting it out of a semi auto configuration and a marginal level of accuracy is ok, then go with the FGMM... </div></div>

I can't say for EVERY Tac-Ops rifle out there but the Tac-Ops X-Ray we are reloading for shoots WELL under 1/4MOA on 175SMK FGMM. Heck, my 1970's vintage Remington 700 Varmint special out of the box was well under 1/2MOA on factory fodder and closer to 1/4MOA with minor tuning work and handloads. If your bolt gun with factory ammo is not shooting at least sub MOA your bolt gun is worn out, out of spec or the problem is not the with the rifle or ammo.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were I not to reload, I would strongly look at SW Ammo or Corbon rather than FGMM. SW Ammo's prices are unbeatable:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2336867&page=1 </div></div>

The best current prices on FGMM SMK175s is $1.00 a round plus shipping. FGMM is pretty much the gold standard in factory loaded match ammo. This has been tested and published by several sources.

</div></div>

Having actually seen both FGMM and SW Ammo actually shot and results posted, I would say that you would be hard pressed to see a difference in performance and accuracy between the two. SW Ammo also gives you the option of upgrading to Lapua brass, which can and should be used once the inevitable turn to rolling your own happens.

All else being equal, I'd rather my money go to a company that supports this site, it's members, and the competitive community herein.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way I've got it figured with the Winchester brass it's going to be right at $.90/round compared to $1.06 or so for the FGMM.

The reason I'm being so chinchy is because I'm thinking about reloading 500-1000 rounds. Would I be better off loading 2-300 rnds of lapua just for the sake of having the best brass you can buy? Forget quantity and go for quality?

BTW I have all the stuff to reload just not the dies for .308...RCBS Rock Chucker, etc. </div></div>I'm probably just repeating what someone else has already posted, but there's a reason why lapua is more expensive - it is only initially though...
I stopped at about 10 reloads for one set of lapua brass, and only because I felt sorry for it. I could have probably gotten 10 more no problem.
I also have a bunch of Win brass, but it has a hard time handling my overbook loads, the primer pockets get loose pretty quick, and they are not as consistent as lapua - and in reloading consistency IS accuracy.
Bottom line is you have to look at long term costs when it comes to reloading, not initial cost.